Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Please vote for Gentoo on OSNews poll
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 27 Jan 2003
Posts: 795

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Please vote for Gentoo on OSNews poll Reply with quote

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3640

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Jun 2002
Posts: 1814
Location: Where you least expect it

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo's already top, we want publicity here! Vote away...
_________________
95% of all computer errors occur between chair and keyboard (TM)

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frippz
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Aug 2002
Posts: 460
Location: Malmö, Sweden

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid me managed to post i the dup thread... just as well. :)
25% of the votes and in the lead. But why did they include Lindows? AFAIK that isn't a Linux distro. Or is it? :?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 2764

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Levi* wrote:
But why did they include Lindows? AFAIK that isn't a Linux distro. Or is it? :?

Yes it is, it's Debian based.
_________________
I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dev
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 06 Jul 2002
Posts: 248
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope someone doesn't pull a "distrowatch" and screw this up for us. :evil:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frippz
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Aug 2002
Posts: 460
Location: Malmö, Sweden

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind as well...
Especially now when Gentoo is in the lead. Btw, how well known/established is OSnews.com? I can't recall hearing much about it in the past, but then again, I'm not the internet pirate I used to be. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 24 Dec 2002
Posts: 1728
Location: Nottingham, UK

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSNews is very well known ;)

I'm suprised RedHat has so many votes, do people actualy choose RedHat over other distros?! :o
_________________
a.k.a port001
Found a bug? Please report it: Gentoo Bugzilla
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 May 2002
Posts: 2858
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in these polls as they do not reflex anything but the fact that they are easily manipulated.

That being said I voted Gentoo before it was posted here - I'm a regular at OSNews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 May 2002
Posts: 488
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did my part.. looks like Gentoo is winning at the moment.. with 23%

Quote:

Nice to see Gentoo doing so well. I like Portage, and the BSD init scripts, and I think I've learned more about Linux using Gentoo than any other distro.

However, it's a bit too unstable and, surprisingly, outdated in places. Debian was my choice because unlike Gentoo, I can run it on my Celeron 433 and have a reasonable hope of running KDE, Mozilla and OOo before the next Ice Age. Synaptic is also way cooler than KPortage as graphical package managers go.

Gentoo's youth really shows in places.


really, Gentoo outdated in a places?? i had no idea. And it is stable for me. I dont know what he means by that.

i dont why he cannot run all those apps on Gentoo..
_________________
"That which is overdesigned, too highly
specific, anticipates outcome; the anicipation of
outcome guatantees, if not failure, the
absence of grace."
- William Gibson, "All Tomorrow's Parties"
----
http://petro.tanreisoftware.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 27 Jan 2003
Posts: 795

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
I don't believe in these polls as they do not reflex anything but the fact that they are easily manipulated.

That being said I voted Gentoo before it was posted here - I'm a regular at OSNews.


Right. These polls never reflect anything reliably because they are never based on a representative sample and because cheating can never be excluded.
Yet they give exposure to whatever is voted for.
I love Gentoo and I like letting others know about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wrawrat
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Mar 2003
Posts: 25
Location: Quebec City, Canada

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_aIN_t, not every ebuild is stable, you know. I had to reinstall Gentoo a few times because of broken packages (even without using ~x86). I even thought to install FreeBSD instead. I don't know which one to install right now... 8O

Oh, and looks like we're suspected of cheating again...
Quote:

Last year's poll revealed Red Hat as the leading distro, so we did reported on it more. Thing is, distros like Debian and Gentoo have VERY FEW news items to offer, while commercial companies they make press releases to attract attention and let us know in time of things. We just report on whatever is out there.
Personally, I am not convinced that Gentoo was able to lead this poll. I am looking to see if someone has tumpered with the poll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GXTi
n00b
n00b


Joined: 24 May 2003
Posts: 17
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't you think a forum isnt exactly the best place to ask people to vote for gentoo?
_________________
<insert witticism here>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
OSNews is very well known ;)

I'm suprised RedHat has so many votes, do people actualy choose RedHat over other distros?! :o


Yep, a lot actually. In fact, I was a Gentoo user before RedHat (see register date). :) RedHat is a great system, much more than "just" a way to install Linux software (unless the first thing you do after installing RedHat is to remove all their customized stuff obviously). Not saying that Gentoo or Debian wouldn't be excellent distributions of their particular kind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 09 Dec 2002
Posts: 2380
Location: Atlanta, Universe

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Eugenia babysits the polls and sees if there are any rapid trends towards one pick... if so, she writes about it :)

anyway, I voted for Gentoo before I saw this thread. go gentoo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mlynx
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 Feb 2003
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just voted and gave the poll the number of the beast for Gentoo (666).
_________________
mlynx
-------------------------
Did your mom -Os your brain when you were a baby?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quattro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 22 Jan 2003
Posts: 80
Location: Olathe, Kansas

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just voted. Gentoo is leading with 24% of the votes followed by Debian with 17%! Looks good, although there is still a chance for the Florida votes to catapult Lindows into the lead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dev
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 06 Jul 2002
Posts: 248
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Eugenia is very shortsighted. I think she was expecting everyone to agree with her since she thinks Redhat is the golden god of linux. She doesn't like linux by the way, rates it right at the end of the OS chain.

Either that or she expected people to vote other and comment on how nothing will ever replace her precious beos. :)

I do remember her negative review of Gentoo 1.2, while I agree with some of her points, she just didn't get what Gentoo is about.

Yes I don't like her, but you don't have to be liked to run a high profile website.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eugenia
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Apr 2002
Posts: 13
Location: Foster City, CA, USA

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dev, you are the shortsighted one, the one who doesn't understand who I am or how I think or what experience I got.

>she thinks Redhat is the golden god of linux.

Red Hat is the de facto Linux "standard" today. Commercial compannies make sure their stuff are first compatible with RH and then with every other distro. That doesn't make Red Hat good, neither bad. Red Hat is a great web server, but it is a poor workstation, as all other Linux distros IMO. I use 13 OSes here, I have used about 15 different distros so far and endless versions of these distros, so I can choose for myself what's nice and what can be nice or what can suck for me. Linux is a great server OS, poor workstation, in my own HO.

>I do remember her negative review of Gentoo 1.2, while I agree with some of her points, she just didn't get what Gentoo is about.

I don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about, because Gentoo was my MAIN Linux distro for 6 months last year. My review was NOT negative, it was as balanced as it could get:
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=937 (I never did a 1.2 review btw, only a 1.0, so you are busted on this one too)

>Yes I don't like her

Exactly. This is your problem. You don't like me. And I don't have to be liked.

Thing is, you don't understand what OSNews is about. OSNews is NOT a Linux cheerleader web site, neither an MS or an Apple one. If something is good, we will write about it, if something sucks, we sure as hell we will also write about it. And that's what I like about my site.
_________________
http://www.OSNews.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frippz
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Aug 2002
Posts: 460
Location: Malmö, Sweden

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, yes...
Linux sucks as a workstation. I guess thats why I only boot into Windows for gaming nowadays. :P I'd really like to hear your statements as to why it is bad as a workstation. We don't have to start a whole discussion in this thread though. Maybe you can point me to some of your articles on your website. :wink:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 May 2002
Posts: 2858
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux sucks as a workstation?... please tell that to any member of my family, we have all ditched Windows completely.

I think it's great, now it might not be great for everyone but it sure as hell is a worthy alternative to Windows at this point for most users (remember most Windows users can't even install a program without help - so that's not really a valid argument here)

That being said, I'm not known to be Eugenias biggest fan, but she does have her moments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 312

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companies choose to use Redhat because they are structured wrong. Management people have no clue when it comes to technology. Their is no such thing as "being standard with Redhat". Linux is a kernel. Redhat has some unique things, but in the end its their is no such thing as "complying to redhat". Complying to Gnome HIG, KDE HIG, W3 standards, encryption standards, etc... now that I can see. But you can't be "Redhat compliant". Besides everyone know that redhat sucks because RPM can't handle dependencies, etc... This is the stupid foundless paridgm of our society, namely "official support". Redhat does have my respect because they used to be "the distro" and have done a lot of work for free software, but I wouldn't trust one entity for all my computing needs. This just isn't the way things naturally work. Neither redhat, debian, or the M$ R&D labs can come up with everything, hire the best programmers, etc... What we need is to work together for general technological improvement. That's the reason I like Gentoo. Gentoo gives me a platfor where I don't *have* to follow any one beaten path. I can make my own ebuilds, etc... without breaking my system. So please Eugenia don't come to our forums and try and say their is a such thing as "redhat compatibility". Their is a such thing as standards compatibility and that's all, and companies can take their propreitary systems and shove it because I live by standards, not by propreitary systems which in the end just make life difficult for everyone.


-Unconventional sig. Long live GNU!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eugenia
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Apr 2002
Posts: 13
Location: Foster City, CA, USA

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Companies choose to use Redhat because they are structured wrong.

No. Companies choose Red Hat because Red Hat has a support department, a real portofolio, it is a public traded company, and they have a product that their whole business is built upon.

Companies want SECURITY when they are dealing with other companies. Not a bunch of geeks. Red Hat gives them this security and lets them sleep tight at night.

With distros like Slackware, Debian and Gentoo there is no support department, there is not an official contact where you can chastise him/her when the product doesn't work.

My friend, you only know too little about the market and how that market WORKS.

>Management people have no clue when it comes to technology.

Their IT dpt do though, and most IT dpts ALSO prefer "security" over "coolness". Think about it.

>Their is no such thing as "being standard with Redhat".

Don't change my words.
I never said that there is an "ISO Standard" around Red Hat. What I said was that we like it or not, Red Hat IS the standard today for Linux, at least in US. With ISO or not. Unofficial standard, but the No1 company other companies are looking forward on making business with in the linux arena. You can't deny that.

And developers -- commercial developers -- first support Red Hat and then the rest of the distros, if any.

> Linux is a kernel

No way! Don't say! We didn't know!!!
Please, spare me the lecture that I have heard 1000 times on my forums as well. If we are running Gentoo, we do know what Linux is and what Linux is not.

> What we need is to work together for general technological improvement.

I see your viewpoint. I don't necessarily agree. Not on all cases.

> So please Eugenia don't come to our forums...

You can't tell me where to go and where to come.
Look at my details pal, I am subscribed to this forum ONE YEAR before you join this same forum. I am also a Gentoo user, or used to be, rather. For 6 months last year (I nuked that partition a few weeks ago in order to install FreeBSD 4.8 ).
_________________
http://www.OSNews.com/


Last edited by Eugenia on Tue May 27, 2003 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
azlan
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 Nov 2002
Posts: 381
Location: Seattle WA USA

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugenia, is really getting a bad wrap here. I use Gentoo, because it allows me to deal more directly between the softeware/hardware at a level, and with tool's that are a lot easier to work with than the monolithic configuration designs of mandrake, redhat, or suse.

The other reason I use Gentoo, is the people. I have gotten more real help, and more, usable answers here than any other message board for any other distro I have tried. :D Espessially Debian. :x

But perhaps all I can hope for is that, this whole cool new thing won't get torn apart, by the flame baiters who have ruined a lot of good mailing lists. :(
_________________
there is no crazy, only violet and non violet..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krookednek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 78

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If most IT departments prefer security, then why is Windows so popular?

Just something to think about when you assume that most people aren't morons :).
_________________
Linux n00b, beware!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 09 Dec 2002
Posts: 2380
Location: Atlanta, Universe

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krookednek wrote:
If most IT departments prefer security, then why is Windows so popular?

Just something to think about when you assume that most people aren't morons :).


heh.. Eugenia was talking about a different kind of security :o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum