unable to swsusp my laptop, change to X ->freeze[solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: unable to swsusp my laptop, change to X ->freeze[solved] Reply with quote

Hi guys

I got a T43 and a lot of stuff is working already, but one thing I can't do any progress is the sofware suspend. What I use: Latest Suspend Patch (acid2 sources), hibernate script; Harware: Ati X300, binary drivers.

The suspend is working without X for disk suspending but not with ram. When I use suspend to ram, the Laptop crashes after resume.

So what I primarily need is suspending to disk. I read about the vbetool which should solve some issues and i tried it by uncommenting the lines in hibernate.conf. But still no sucess.

Could anyone help me on this?

Thank you!

Phlogiston

PS: I know that there are some threads about this, but most of them are chaotic and nobody summed up what he actually had done to get it working, so I hope that this thread will help also other users with similar configuration.

Last edited by Phlogiston on Tue May 02, 2006 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
tava
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems you have a sata-harddrive in your book, too. ibm makes his own power control this. one conflicts with the kernel sata power management. download the ORIGINAL 2.6.12.6 kernelsources, patch the kernel sources with sata_pm.2.6.12.diff and it will works under X (typical only X).

tava
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tava wrote:
it seems you have a sata-harddrive in your book, too. ibm makes his own power control this. one conflicts with the kernel sata power management. download the ORIGINAL 2.6.12.6 kernelsources, patch the kernel sources with sata_pm.2.6.12.diff and it will works under X (typical only X).

tava

Why would I need such an old kernel? Is the a newer patch not available?

PS: With the shipped radeon driver, it works very nice!
Phk
Guru
Guru

Location: [undef], Lisbon, Portugal, Europe, Earth, SolarSystem, MilkyWay, 23Q Radius, Forward Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this kinda crash too.
And i don't have SATA in my laptop.

I think:
1) ATI Radeon "fglrx" drivers
2) Wireless drivers

Although i suspect the second, the first is much more probable of making the freeze.

Cheers,
Phk
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phk wrote:

I think:
2) Wireless drivers

Although i suspect the second, the first is much more probable of making the freeze.

Cheers,
Phk

AFAIK the problem is not related to SATA, because when I use radeon driver instead of the fglrx drivers, it works perfectly, including wireless.

So I think that ati is resposible for our problems.

Phlogiston
Phk
Guru
Guru

Location: [undef], Lisbon, Portugal, Europe, Earth, SolarSystem, MilkyWay, 23Q Radius, Forward Time

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
Phk wrote:

I think:
2) Wireless drivers

Cheers,
Phk

AFAIK the problem is not related to SATA, because when I use radeon driver instead of the fglrx drivers, it works perfectly, including wireless.

So I think that ati is resposible for our problems.

Phlogiston

Changed from the nitro-sources-2.6.13 to nitro-sources-2.6.14.

Got hibernate working, although the system becomes very slow after....

This should then be a kernel version issue.

dont u think?
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phk wrote:

dont u think?

With binary ati driver? Could you please tell me how you did that in detail? Thanks very much. Without binary I have no speed problems here with acid2 sources.
Phk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
Phk wrote:

dont u think?

With binary ati driver?

Yes, using the same ati-driver!
Quote:
Could you please tell me how you did that in detail? Thanks very much.

I just followed the tips at http://gentoo.wiki.org about "software suspend 2 how to"

try it!
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phk wrote:

Yes, using the same ati-driver!
Quote:
Could you please tell me how you did that in detail? Thanks very much.

I just followed the tips at http://gentoo.wiki.org about "software suspend 2 how to"

try it!

Hmm I know that howto pretty well, but as I said I'm having the freeze issue. Could you please post your hibernate config, thanks a lot.
Phk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:

Hmm I know that howto pretty well, but as I said I'm having the freeze issue. Could you please post your hibernate config, thanks a lot.

Everythin is the default.
I've never changed a single line in /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf !
raf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phk,
Quote:

My system also gets slower (about 10% slower) after resume. Have you tracked down the source of this?
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phk wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:

Everythin is the default.
I've never changed a single line in /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf !

Please post your config, it does not work here! You are using swsusp2 don't you? With orig config, I can't even suspend properly...
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved that problem a long time ago by using latest ati drivers/kernel and the agpgart (intel here) as a module.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
I solved that problem a long time ago by using latest ati drivers/kernel and the agpgart (intel here) as a module.
I have installed suspend2-sources-2.6.16-r3 on a Thinkpad T43 and I am using latest ati drivers 8.24.8. (X300 here). Suspend to ram works properly, even from X.

There are two problems I face right now:
1. Stopping xdm results in a kernel oops. This is very similar to the problem faced by people in this thread. Only difference, I get a kernel oops while in that thread people have been getting kernel Bug (don't know what the difference is).

2. Suspend to disk results in a kernel oops irrespective of whether X is running at that time. I tried booting into a non-graphical environment using softlevel=boot in grub, and still I get a kernel oops.

Did you face any similar similar problems with your T43? Could you provide me your kernel config and the hibernate script?
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find everything on my homepage in the Download Section. I hope you'll find it.

Good luck!
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! I see that you have posted even your menu.lst which will also prove very important IMHO. I will have to try out nitro-sources :)
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Thanks a lot! I see that you have posted even your menu.lst which will also prove very important IMHO. I will have to try out nitro-sources :)

No problem so far :) Nitro sources are dead btw. So now you can use the work of Tiger and Iphitus (cksources before): The Beyond sources. You can find the latest here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-458090.html

But as you will probably see they don't work as well as beyond2. So it's your decision, its just a small thing with the hdd spindown.

Good luck
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did look at that page yesterday. Now, I think I will hold off installing any other kernel. I will probably try the new kernel 2.6.17 when it goes stable, because a new suspend (ususpend) code is being introduced into the kernel.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Yes, I did look at that page yesterday. Now, I think I will hold off installing any other kernel. I will probably try the new kernel 2.6.17 when it goes stable, because a new suspend (ususpend) code is being introduced into the kernel.

Oh really, I didn't know this... but suspend2 will not get into vanilla as far as I know :? Becuase suspend2 works very well here and is quite fast. So I recommend you giving the beyond sources a try! 8)
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got some time and decided to look at the configuration of my system again.

Thanks a ton! Your kernel config, and hibernate.conf helped me to get my software suspend2 working :D I am using suspend2-sources-2.6.16-r4. (prior to this kernel change, I had tried beyond3, which also resulted in kernel oops and that got me thinking that my kernel config was probably at fault).

I think the major change I made in my kernel config was to disable all the ide options and keep only the scsi options. That got suspend2 working in non-graphics mode. Using suspend2 from graphics used to make the system unresponsive when the suspend2 reached "Doing Atomic copy". Setting extra_pages_allowance to 7500 got rid of that problem.

Thanks once again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: