gcc-3.4.5-r1 failed.emake failed with profiledbootstrap
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowinter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: gcc-3.4.5-r1 failed.emake failed with profiledbootstrap Reply with quote

I know there've been lots of similar issues all over the forums. Be sure I made a thourough search. However, I couldn't find an appropriate way to solve it. Here the story:

Fresh install of stage3-i686-2006.0. I.e. unpacked the stage, unpacked the latest portage, made some net confs, edited the make.conf , and? started emerge -e system. The thing is FULLY REPRODUCIBLE. I ended up with quite safe CFLAGS, I even switched to march=i686 instead of pentium4.. I tried all the suggested combinations.. I tried x86 stage.. I tried everything I could think of & almost everything I saw suggested on forums/bugzilla lists. NADA.

emerge --info:
Code:
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14
Portage 2.0.54 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-3.4.5, glibc-2.3.6-r3, 2.6.11-co-0.6.3 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-co-0.6.3 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.hamakor.org.il/pub/mirrors/gentoo/ http://ftp.caliu.info/pub/gentoo/ http://ftp.ankara.edu.tr/gentoo/"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
LINGUAS="en ru il he"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 16bit X adsl alsa apache2 apm asf avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdparanoia clamav clamd cli cpudetection crypt cups dhcp dio dri dvd dvdr dvdread eds elf emacs emboss encode esd expat finger font-server fontconfig foomaticdb ftp gdbm gif gimprint glx gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 isdnlog jpeg justify kde largeterminal libg++ libwww live lj lm_sensors mad mikmod mime motif mp3 mp4 mp4live mpd-mad mpeg mplayer musepack musicbrainz ncurses network nfs nls nptl nptlonly offensive ogg opengl openssh oss pam pcre pdf pdflib perl pic png pop posix pppd prelude python qt quicktime readline real reflection reiser4 reiserfs remote rpm samba savedconfig screen sdl search sendfile sensord session sharedmem shout skins smtp sndfile snmp sockets sox speedo spell spl ssl stats stlport stream subtitles swat sysfs syslog tcpd threads toolbar tos transcode truetype truetype-fonts type1 type1-fonts udev unicode userlocales vcd video_cards_s3 video_cards_savage visualization vorbis win32codecs winbind wma wxwindows xml xmms xorg xv xvid xvmc zlib linguas_en linguas_ru linguas_il linguas_he userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL

typical error message (tail -15)
Code:

/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5-r1/work/gcc-3.4.5/libiberty/concat.c:194: warning: traditional C rejects ISO C style function definitions
checking for the document directory.
Links are now set up to build a native compiler for i686-pc-linux-gnu.
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `config.in', needed by `cstamp-h'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
make: *** [profiledbootstrap] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1 failed.
!!! Function gcc_do_make, Line 1340, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed with profiledbootstrap
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Neither does glibc compile. To be honest, for the first time the the emerge -e system failed on udev. The above is the second.

udev failure:
Code:

In file included from function.c:1974:
function.c: In function `handle_function':
function.c:1857: warning: passing arg 4 of `expand_builtin_function' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
In file included from function.c:2030:
function.c: In function `func_call':
function.c:1857: warning: passing arg 4 of `expand_builtin_function' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
make: xmlto: Command not found
make: *** [udevtest.8] Error 127

!!! ERROR: sys-fs/udev-087 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 63, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

I am so disappointed.. I used to use gentoo and liked it very much. Then I ruined my system by some enormous optimizations ))) he-he. From then on, quite like two weeks, I attempt to install it again. Consider me being very patient. I post this after a well-done digging, just because of desperation )))
HELP ME-E-E-E-E-E-E-E :!: :!: :!: :!:
SirYes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should file a bug report at https://bugs.gentoo.org (create an account first if you don't have one). That's the best place to notify the devs about such breakage. They don't bite ;) - instead they are really helpful.

The worst thing that might happen is that such a report would be discarded as invalid, with the explanation. So, why not ask the right people for help? Posting on the forums will probably NOT help you much...
nowinter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SirYes Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:18 pm Post subject:

I think you should file a bug report at https://bugs.gentoo.org (create an account first if you don't have one). That's the best place to notify the devs about such breakage. They don't bite - instead they are really helpful.

Thanks for addressing me, anyway. I don't know if I can provide the nessessary info for a bugreport. From what I saw on the buglists, there is not much help when things are not particularly clear to be broken. Or known. See, I can 'tell my story'. Reporting the bug means I can recreate it at any machine with the specific architecture taken the specific stage and portage. Well, I didn't try ))) :roll: I can only cry my disappointment out here on the forum. There were two dozens of views at this topic. Poor man's mercy ))) but that may let people see gentoo bugs are not something really handy to correct. They can be misterious... and then you move to SuSE )))))))))))))))) :evil: :evil: :evil:
SirYes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that comes to my mind is that mysterious "uname: 2.6.11-co-0.6.3" of yours. Looks like you run the Gentoo installation using coLinux of some kind (am I right?). I've never done it before, even though I've installed many Gentoo systems already (x86, amd64, sparc, ~x86) ...

It's also possible that it's just a bad timing, because some vital package(s) - from the installation point of view - might be somewhat broken right now. It really happened to me too, and it still happens sometimes. That's just the reality of the Gentoo... it happened even to the "stable" portage recently. :oops: Don't feel bad about that though. :roll:

If you could write an outline of what you've done, maybe I could try to reproduce the steps you've taken. OTOH there are also several other (not officially supported by Gentoo devs) installation methods, which give you running Gentoo system as well. For example (from the shortest to longest time involved): Kororaa, Jackass / Rockhopper, Fiordland, Stage 1/3. Some of them are separate projects on their own, some are described on the forums. So how about that?
nowinter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirYes wrote:
The only thing that comes to my mind is that mysterious "uname: 2.6.11-co-0.6.3" of yours. Looks like you run the Gentoo installation using coLinux of some kind (am I right?). I've never done it before, even though I've installed many Gentoo systems already (x86, amd64, sparc, ~x86) ...

It's also possible that it's just a bad timing, because some vital package(s) - from the installation point of view - might be somewhat broken right now. It really happened to me too, and it still happens sometimes. That's just the reality of the Gentoo... it happened even to the "stable" portage recently. :oops: Don't feel bad about that though. :roll:

If you could write an outline of what you've done, maybe I could try to reproduce the steps you've taken. OTOH there are also several other (not officially supported by Gentoo devs) installation methods, which give you running Gentoo system as well. For example (from the shortest to longest time involved): Kororaa, Jackass / Rockhopper, Fiordland, Stage 1/3. Some of them are separate projects on their own, some are described on the forums. So how about that?

Thanks SirYes for your reply.
I knew someone could mind co :lol: but that's not the reason for the faults, believe me. I've already installed gentoo from within MSWin and then dd'ed it to a partition and booted it standalone.. This time it was installed properly from the minimal CD.. and emerge -e was tried both with coLinux kernel and regular 2.6.15. I just posted the topic from Windows 'cus xorg fails also..

I also suspected that now is kinda "unstable period".. It doesn't mercify me, though ))) should it?

What have I done? I think I've described it above: extracted the stage, extracted a prepared portage, edited make.conf and run emerge.. I also emerged gentoolkit and checked revdep consistency.. after the fail I reemerged libtool and libsdc++-v3, as the upgrading gcc says, just out of being desperated.. No version of gcc seems to compile, neither 4 nor 3. I switched to a binarily imported 3.4.4 - with the same results.. I statred emerge -e system about 20 times at least.. And tried to emerge different spirits of gcc for like 30 times.. I used USE="", LDFLAGS="" and CFLAGS="-march=i686" only.. in different combinations.. and what not. GURNISCHT ))))

I also d'loaded kororaa.. it fails to boot properly, may be I should pass some restricting options to the kernel.. didn't play with it enough..

I'm sad : :( ...
SirYes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowinter wrote:
What have I done? I think I've described it above: extracted the stage, extracted a prepared portage, edited make.conf and run emerge.. I also emerged gentoolkit and checked revdep consistency.. after the fail I reemerged libtool and libsdc++-v3, as the upgrading gcc says, just out of being desperated.. No version of gcc seems to compile, neither 4 nor 3. I switched to a binarily imported 3.4.4 - with the same results.. I statred emerge -e system about 20 times at least.. And tried to emerge different spirits of gcc for like 30 times.. I used USE="", LDFLAGS="" and CFLAGS="-march=i686" only.. in different combinations.. and what not. GURNISCHT ))))

To properly upgrade to the latest stable/unstable gcc while installing the system you have three options:
  1. Start from stage1, put a minimal amount of USE flags in make.conf (like "nptl nptlonly unicode" for example), do "bootstrap.sh" and "emerge -e system". Even though (a long option, but no gcc upgrade is needed - only one, correct gcc is installed this way)
  2. Start from stage3 and try doing the Stage 1/3 installation (that's what I do most of time and it works pretty well). It used to be a large topic on Gentoo forums, but now current instructions can be found on the Jackass Project forums (you must first register on the site to read them). Make sure you read both Announcements before starting the installation. (also pretty long option, if not longer - and gcc upgrade is necessary)
  3. Use the Jackass or Rockhopper stage3 tarball to get already updated system, ready for configuration. Just make sure you read the instructions on the site. (the quickest option)

To be honest it's a bit surprising that you've encountered so many problems with your installation attempt. The steps you described look sane, but if the problems are indeed repeatable then this really deserves a bug report of its own.

Anyway, if you still want to install your system the Gentoo Way (TM), then please post three urls to:
  • Gentoo LiveCD image you've used
  • the stage tarball you've extracted
  • the "prepared" portage tarball you've extracted
(what does this "prepared portage" mean, btw?)

To speed things up please also paste the complete initial make.conf which gave you so much trouble.
Then I'll be able to repeat your steps on a spare partition and see if the problems show or not.
nowinter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, if you still want to install your system the Gentoo Way (TM), then please post three urls to:
  • Gentoo LiveCD image you've used

perhaps http://mirror.hamakor.org.il/pub/mirrors/gentoo/releases/x86/2006.0/installcd/install-x86-minimal-2006.0.iso (it wasn't a LiveCD)
Quote:

• the stage tarball you've extracted

• From: http://mirror.hamakor.org.il/pub/mirrors/gentoo/releases/x86/2006.0/stages/stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2
    Quote:

• the "prepared" portage tarball you've extracted(what does this "prepared portage" mean, btw?)

• i don't remember the link.. it was a German mirror. portage-latest, dloaded on 28/04.
    "prepared" :) means I dloaded it to Win partition before 'cause I worried I wouldn't be able to establish a connection (I'm behind a router and stuff).
    Quote:

To speed things up please also paste the complete initial make.conf which gave you so much trouble.
    Then I'll be able to repeat your steps on a spare partition and see if the problems show or not.

Initial make.conf was somewhat like

Code:

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -malign-double -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common,-z,now"
    MAKEOPTS="-j2 -s"

USE="16bit adsl asf cdparanoia clamav clamd cpudetection dhcp dio dvd dvdr
         dvdread elf emacs finger font-server fontconfig ftp
         gimprint glx justify largeterminal live lj
         lm_sensors mime mp4 mp4live mpd-mad mplayer musepack musicbrainz network
         nfs nptlonly offensive openssh pdf pic pop posix prelude real reiser4 reiserfs
         remote rpm samba savedconfig screen search sendfile sensord session
         sharedmem shout skins smtp sndfile snmp sockets sox speedo stats stlport
         stream subtitles swat sysfs syslog threads toolbar tos transcode type1
         unicode userlocales vcd video_cards_s3 video_cards_savage visualization
         win32codecs winbind wma wxwindows xvid xvmc -arts -fortran"

FEATURES="ccache"
    PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
    PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
    CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.hamakor.org.il/pub/mirrors/gentoo/ http://ftp.caliu.info/pub/gentoo/ http://ftp.ankara.edu.tr/gentoo/"
    CCACHE_DIR="/root/.ccache"
    ALSA_CARDS="via82xx"
    SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
    CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/wget /etc/rc.d"
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"

I mean, that's the worse it could be. I think I omitted some USE flags before the installation, and eased LDFLAGS - but may be not.
    nowinter
    Tux's lil' helper
    Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell on me, SirYes. I think I lied about the installation CD!! I didn't used one. I extracted the stuff onto the formatted ext3 from mandriva command line ))) chrooted there, changed the passwd and rebooted then.
    SirYes
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I'll try to do a test setup today. Will post results later.

And for "not using a Gentoo LiveCD" - that's perfectly okay, no need to explain. ;)
    For example, Knoppix LiveCD was very often suggested as the means for installing Gentoo... :mrgreen:
    SirYes
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, but one thing is missing, namely CHOST.

You've said you downloaded the stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2 file... That's strange. If you have a Pentium 4, then you'd better use a stage3-i586 or better yet, stage3-i686 variant. The stage3-x86 is the most generic one. That's why it's described in Gentoo Handbook.

Is there any chance that your CHOST is still a genuine i386-pc-linux-gnu? Or have you changed it??? Changing CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu" to something else should be done ONLY if you perform a stage1 install and you understand the implications. In fact it is important, because the gcc upgrade guide is filled with "i686-pc-linux-gnu" examples...

Three short questions:

SirYes
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a little warning: including -malign-double in CFLAGS is considered harmful...

See:
    That's why I'll drop this flag before doing emerge -e system. Hope you understand.
    nowinter
    Tux's lil' helper
    Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a good piece of thinking I recall that I tried both kind of installation - one booted from an installation CD and another just copying the stage & the portage. Results, as said, quite similar. See, SirYes, I will recreate the whole thing again. I'll leave alone make.conf ))) and post what I get.
    SirYes
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part I - upgrading gcc went smoothly

Ok, I unpacked the stage3-i686-2006.0.tar.bz2 file and a portage-20060502.tar.bz2 snapshot. I checked the MD5 sums just in case (they were good).

After chrooting I updated the /etc/localtime and /etc/fstab, I've added your settings to make.conf as well (but without -malign-double CFLAG). Then I've copied my existing /usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r7 and /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r7 to speed things up. Having an already existing grub installation I just edited the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and then rebooted. To my surprise it worked. ;)

The whole base system install took about 1 hour for downloading (stage3 + portage) and 15 minutes of untarring, fiddling with configuration files and writing this.

Now for the real work.

Because currently portage-2.0.54-r1 is known to produce endless loop while doing "emerge -e system" I masked this exact version (next versions will be updated automatically):
    Code:
    # echo =sys-apps/portage-2.0.54-r1 >> /etc/portage/package.mask

Then I did a first listing of what would be compiled for "-e system":
    Code:
    # emerge -pve system > /root/emerge-pve-system_1.txt

Next I upgraded the gcc, as per instructions at:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml#first-install

I did it exactly like in Code Listings 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 (faster method):
    Code:
    # emerge -pvu gcc > /root/emerge-pvu-gcc.txt
    # emerge -uav gcc
    # etc-update
    # gcc-config -l
    # gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5
    # emerge -av1 libtool
    # emerge -av1 libstdc++-v3

While building the last one (libstdc++-v3) there were lots of warnings printed. Eventually, this library has been built correctly. Next was the revdep-rebuild part.
    Code:
    # emerge -av1 ncurses
    # emerge -avn gentoolkit
    # revdep-rebuild --library libstdc++.so.5 -- -p -v

The revdep list contained no packages, but I did the following just in case.
    Code:
    # revdep-rebuild --library libstdc++.so.5

Finally the system was ready to be rebuilt. So I did a second listing of what would be compiled for "-e system":
    Code:
    # emerge -pve system > /root/emerge-pve-system_2.txt

That seemed too much - like why should I build X.org at this point? (-e system ??)
    So to speed up things I did this:
    Code:
    # USE="-X" emerge -pve system > /root/emerge-pve-system_3.txt

Now this list looked a lot better - no X.org compilation was necessary at this point. All packages that supports X could be (re-)built later, by using a simple "emerge -avND world".

So, it was the time for:
    Code:
    # USE="-X" emerge -ave system

Now I have to wait... Will post the update as soon as the compilation finishes.

Last edited by SirYes on Wed May 03, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    SirYes
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part II - recompilation (a)

Good news: gcc-3.4.5-r1 just recompiled fine, now libstdc++v3-3.3.4 is being compiled...
    nowinter
    Tux's lil' helper
    Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i used the i686 stage. Sorry for inconvinience. I tried to use x86 after i686 failed, and that was the first file I saw in my dloads directory so i wrote that. As for the state we're talking about, the current one, - it's i686 back. So id don't have an 386 CHOST. Look above in emerge --info. gcc-config -l stars now the current 3.4.4 version I installed binarily. gcc --version agrees. Before I switched to it from 3.4.5 it was starred by gcc-config and agreed by gcc --version.
    Quote:
    I kno ma shit
    :D :D :D
    nowinter
    Tux's lil' helper
    Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing the job. I believe in you, you can do it! )))

No, seriously, I think I'll get it going the next time I find the time to. BUT. Is is the way it should be? Upgrading gcc in the first time with plenty of strange commands? I'm talking about a real fresh man, a total noob. Of course, one is like OBLIDGED to read the installation manual/handbook, but upgrading gcc? How the hell is that very one supposed to know gcc will be upgraded right after he synchronizes? )))) I didn't. Sorry for being so arrogant. And, also: ok, I may miss a step or get totally messed up - why does it so unnessesarily mean I need a new installation?
    SirYes
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part II - recompilation (b)

More good news: glibc, linux-headers, emacs, perl and python just compiled fine. I'll have to remember about running
    Code:
    # perl-cleaner all
    # python-updater

afterwards, just in case (I can't recall if perl and/or python were upgraded or not :oops:). Now the portage-2.0.54 should be rebuilt soon, and then udev-087.

Oh, and after baselayout upgrade this is really needed:
    Code:
    # etc-update
    # env-update && source /etc/profile

Update:
    udev-087 just compiled fine, now gzip is being built...

Last edited by SirYes on Wed May 03, 2006 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    SirYes
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowinter wrote:
    Is is the way it should be? Upgrading gcc in the first time with plenty of strange commands? I'm talking about a real fresh man, a total noob.

I feel your pain. Been there, done that... :?

nowinter wrote:
    Of course, one is like OBLIDGED to read the installation manual/handbook, but upgrading gcc? How the hell is that very one supposed to know gcc will be upgraded right after he synchronizes? )))) I didn't. Sorry for being so arrogant.

The problem is with the stage files Gentoo provides. They are outdated wrt the stable toolchain (gcc, glibc, libtool, make and some more packages, not the compiler alone). At the time the stage files were created they were up-to-date, but since then newer components of the toolchain became stable. But the stages are still the same... This makes it difficult for new users to install Gentoo when their timing is bad... :(

nowinter wrote:
    And, also: ok, I may miss a step or get totally messed up - why does it so unnessesarily mean I need a new installation?

From my experience this is only rarely necessary. But the Gentoo installation is only equally healthy to the knowledge its owner/maintainer posesses. ;)

Update:
    com_err-1.38 just printed a big fat warning:
    emerge wrote:
    * PLEASE PLEASE take note of this
    * Please make *sure* to run revdep-rebuild now
    * Certain things on your system may have linked against a
    * different version of com_err -- those things need to be
    * recompiled. Sorry for the inconvenience

I just stopped emerge (Ctrl+C) and did the revdep-rebuild -p in another console. It didn't find any problematic packages, so I just resumed the process:
    Code:
    # emerge --resume

Hooray (?!), this is the Gentoo Reality (TM) - two revdep-rebuild's in a single, clean installation.
    Guess we just have to live with that... :?

On the positive note: only 8 more packages to go! :D
    Nah, make it 6. :)
    nowinter
    Tux's lil' helper
    Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, siryesly ))

I think the bug birth is somewhat clearer now. Meanwhile, I posted it (the bug) to Bugzilla. Now I want to add a note like this:
    Quote:
    I understand now (quite unclearly, though) where is the main reason for this bug: stage3 contains gcc-3.4.4. Latest portage, however, contains gcc-3.4.5 as stable, for a good plenty of time now. Somewhere in the middle of its work emerge -e system mixes them, and fails on another package (I think, udev). And then no gcc profile switching/configuring helps, and re-emerging will fail on gcc. One should upgrade gcc separately and like first of all, and then emerge the emptytree system. At least I can say it worked that way when I re-installed. A bit sad, though. Installation guide says nothing about such stuff..

What do you say? Is it put right? Is it formal enough? :) :) Is my English clear?
    SirYes
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's finished. Only with a minor hickup - by the Gentoo standards ;)

The etc-update wanted to update 22 config files. Of the biggest importance was the /etc/pam.d/login and /etc/login.defs files - because pam and pam-login packages were upgraded. Without updating these files one could have trouble logging into system after restart (!).

Later the:
    Code:
    # perl-cleaner all
    Nothing to reinstall!

and:
    Code:
    # python-updater
     * Can't determine any previous Python version(s).

didn't print anything serious. So, no more upgrades of big system components this time. :D

Good! :mrgreen:

Now if I was to run this installation I would do:
    Code:
    # emerge -e system

once again (this time without USE="-X", though).

But why??? To make sure that the toolchain and the system can rebuild itself. Because at this point I have an updated tools that were built by old tools. All the corner cases would be resolved after the new toolchain/system rebuilds itself again with the new toolchain/system. Clear as mud, eh?

One more piece of advice: for keeping the toolchain up-to-date whenever a change to it occurs, I'd reccomend the tcupdate.sh - an emerge wrapper for more correctly building the toolchain. It may be slow, but it's very accurate!

Final thoughts

This concludes my quest for 'emerge -e system' using make.conf settings you provided. I think you should have now enough clues to do a new installation on your own. Remember the files I've used: i686 stage3 and 20050502 portage snapshot. Oh, and I haven't used -malign-double, maybe this makes a difference. Additionally, I haven't unmasked any ~x86 packages in /etc/portage/package.keywords like I usually do. Also, the first build I did with 'USE="-X" emerge -e system', so several packages were built with no X support. In the event of another 'emerge -e system' they would be built correctly bringing X.org as a dependency.

I wish you the best with your new install!
    :D :D :D
    SirYes
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional reading regarding the CFLAGS / CXXFLAGS:

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: