SWAP and module loading
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: SWAP and module loading Reply with quote

Hey there..

I have to questions:
I've added the 8139too (network card) module into the /etc/modules.autoload file, but it fails when booting. I can ping websites at the internet with no trouble, but why does it fail? Should it be added specially into the kernel configuration or should it just be removed from the autoload file!!! Then I don't really seem to understand the meaning of the module autoload file!!!

Howcome Linux requires 2-3 times the amount of memory - that's quite a lot when I have 1 GB memory - that means 2-3 GB of my SCSI harddisk which is not more than 18GB - That's quite a lot - and SCSI drives aint cheap (IDE is to slow for me)? But Shouldn't 1 GB of normal RAM be enough for Linux to run proberly???
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do anybody know something about files needed to be updated in /etc after running an emerge portage :(
It started telling me that 1 file needed to be updated - know it's 4 files needed to be updated :(
Can somebody tell me how to update these files :)
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:
I've added the 8139too (network card) module into the /etc/modules.autoload file, but it fails when booting

It seems to me that you compiled the driver for your 8139 nic into the kernel and not as a module. Check for [*] and not [m] at the line in the kernel config dealing with 8139too.

Now, if that's correct an your net works you don't need an entry for 8139too in /etc/modules.autoload. E.g. i have two 3Com-Nic's and the driver compiled a as module. So i added the module (have forgotten the name something 3c59???) into /etc/modules.autoload.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SWAP and module loading Reply with quote

LostInGentoo wrote:
Howcome Linux requires 2-3 times the amount of memory - that's quite a lot when I have 1 GB memory - that means 2-3 GB of my SCSI harddisk which is not more than 18GB - That's quite a lot - and SCSI drives aint cheap (IDE is to slow for me)? But Shouldn't 1 GB of normal RAM be enough for Linux to run proberly???

Are you referring to RAM, or drive space? Sounds like you are mixing them to describe your question.
Gentoo uses alot of disk space because of the compiling process. As for the RAM, I have 256MB and
have no problems with the applications I use.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostInGentoo wrote:
Do anybody know something about files needed to be updated in /etc after running an emerge portage :(
It started telling me that 1 file needed to be updated - know it's 4 files needed to be updated :(

Depending on what you emerge, some system files need to be updated periodically.
If you read the messages at the end of the emerge, it tells you how to find them.
In short (if my memory serves me), try
Code:
ls /etc/._*
Change the path to where they are... usually they are in /etc though. The files beginning
with ._ are likely the new versions of the file. Compare this one to the old one to see
what needs updating.

Hope that doesn't confuse you more. Best I can do from memory.
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - maybe it was a kinda confusing text I wrote about the memory.. The thing is that I have 1GB of memory (RAM) and that means that Gentoo (and all other OS's) would like to have 2-3 GB of SWAP - that means I loose 2-3 GB of SCSI disk space which I could use for applications and so on.. I haven't ever run out of memory, but every OS wants 2-3 times more SWAP space than memory (RAM)! I would really like an explanation that (hopefully) tells me that all that SWAP space isn't necessary!!
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulu wrote:
Hi

Quote:
I've added the 8139too (network card) module into the /etc/modules.autoload file, but it fails when booting

It seems to me that you compiled the driver for your 8139 nic into the kernel and not as a module. Check for [*] and not [m] at the line in the kernel config dealing with 8139too.

Now, if that's correct an your net works you don't need an entry for 8139too in /etc/modules.autoload. E.g. i have two 3Com-Nic's and the driver compiled a as module. So i added the module (have forgotten the name something 3c59???) into /etc/modules.autoload.

Thanks - I think I actually did compile it into the kernel!! I just didn't know that it then loaded automatically - thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Swap space Reply with quote

Then this should elate you.
Your choice, but that "2 times" idea was back when Ram was $$$ & 64MB was a lot.
The kernel even needed to be passed an append so it could recognize 64 & over
With the amount of Ram you have, anything over 200 mb for swap would likely
be uneeded, unless you have some very specific needs, in which case you would not be posting here.
SCSI access is faster than IDE, has more buffer mem. If already installed, downsize swap
partition, put freed up space to work. If not installed, pay more attention to file system choice, inode size, bytes per inode to suit your anticipated needs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In case of emergency, panic here
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

Depending on what you emerge, some system files need to be updated periodically.
If you read the messages at the end of the emerge, it tells you how to find them.

Hey again.

After an emerge I get the message that there is 29 files in /etc/ that needs to be updated - It only tells me to view the emerge --help (some parameter) - but the text coming up on screen doesn't really say much.
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - Kanuslupus I need to know something more..

I did as you asked me to - to "ls -l /etc/._*" - there is some files - not 29 but some... There is fx. a file called ._cfg0000_crontab - what should I do with this file? There is the crontab file itself and then the ._efg0000_crontab

What should I do, when there's more than one new file - fx. the ._cfg0000_make.conf and ._cfg0001_make.conf??
Damasz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerge gentoolkit and run the etc-update program. It will show you the difference between the ._* files and the current configuration files. You can then decide to update the config files or to keep the current version.
LostInGentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damasz wrote:
Emerge gentoolkit and run the etc-update program. It will show you the difference between the ._* files and the current configuration files. You can then decide to update the config files or to keep the current version.

Thanks - Now it works much better!!
Here's precisely what I did so others can do the same *gg*:
- emerge app-admin/gentoolkit
- etc-update
__ - select 1 and push the enter button
__ - see the differences (+ new lines - removed lines (if you choose to update))
__ - select 1 to update or 2 to delete the new file.

It's very important that you are aware of your fstab, rc.conf and other configuration files that you edited during installation :) Else you delete your networking settings and keymap settings!!
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostInGentoo wrote:

U could emerge gentoolkit and run etc-update.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: