View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thought from my side: IF you REALLY want to be on the safe side of (gentoo-)life you should rebuild the toolchain as soon as you change a toolchain prog (upgrade to newer version...)

I know that few people actually do this but i think it's better to do it occasionally (i usually do it when i do a "major" gcc-upgrade means things like gcc-4 to gcc-4.1) but a friend almost killed his complete system after doing a glibc-update and not updating the toolchain (cp, mv nothing worked any more so happy, happy, joy ;) plus he wasn't able to compile the necessary packages himself... )

Better safe than sorry!!!

[edit] i use gcc-4.1 for quite a while now and everything went quite smoothly [/edit]
MareviQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using gcc 4.1 (since beta releases) and I only had problems with -ftree-vectorize and GTK+ apps (around the time I upgraded to Gnome 2.14) but other than that it's good (and I'm using ~x86 and some hard-masked packages too...). I remember I had to set I_PROMISE_TO_SEND_PATCHES_WITH_BUGS=1 or sth like that to install it at all ;)

AND I just recompiled the whole system without any major problems (read: ones that I was unable to solve myself with a small patch or a quick google search) so i guess it is stable enough to be marked "unstable" (there should be note on the dangers of -ftree-vectorize though)
HyperQuantum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm eager to switch to gcc 4.1, but I want to wait until it is unmasked and enters the testing branch. Anyone here who knows when that will happen? I am a bit reluctant about using masked packages.
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kidel Fastro wrote:
Quote:
* Compiling will be slower compared to almost any other version of GCC. If you are only interested in fast compiling to have a smaller code/compile/test cycle, think twice about using this compiler.

heh i tought it ll be faster :)

Thanks nbvcxz. I will have a try.

when it was very new it was also not yet well obtimised

but on certain architecture the result was faster because of some new features (for example on ppc with activec)
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyperQuantum wrote:
I'm eager to switch to gcc 4.1, but I want to wait until it is unmasked and enters the testing branch. Anyone here who knows when that will happen? I am a bit reluctant about using masked packages.

I plan on doing it pretty soon. I want to get a few more apps ported (there aren't many left), before I do it.
AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to make the jump and am compiling right now.
Shaman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen mostly improvements with 4.1 - especially with programs that link against 4.1 libraries - if you compile with 4.1 but leave libraries compiled with 3.x then it looks like there's some compatibility code or something in there. Usually there is a size difference of around 5% or so (smaller), which is excellent.

I haven't been able to mess with it much doing c++ compilation but 4.0x did make a sizable difference for some apps (such as Courier-IMAP) when I used it to test. Overall, 4.0x is good, but 4.1x seems to be excellent.

All IMHO.
Radeon x1600
Rafael Pinto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Disregard]

Is there any "how-to" for upgrading GCC?

Let me guess:

1) unmask GCC on /etc/portage/package.unmask
    2) emerge gcc
    3) gcc-config <n>
    4) emerge system

I know, it is kind of simple, but I would like to know what CFLAGS and whatever works for my P4 system, for my kernel, what are the no-no's...[/list]

[/Disregard]

Ok! I found it!!

GCC Upgrading
jorgp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see alot of people switching to GCC 4.1, what version of GCC is everyone using to recompile the kernel?
I have been reading that the safest and most stable GCC for kernel is still 3.4.x.
What is everyone else finding out?

Thanks
Jorg
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how people upgrade to gcc-4.1.0. I put a line "=sys-devel/gcc-4.1.0" in /etc/portage/package.unmask, but "equery list -p sys-devel/gcc" shows 4.1.0 is masked, and actually "emerge -p gcc" shows only "sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1".... what am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maverick6664 wrote:
I wonder how people upgrade to gcc-4.1.0. I put a line "=sys-devel/gcc-4.1.0" in /etc/portage/package.unmask, but "equery list -p sys-devel/gcc" shows 4.1.0 is masked, and actually "emerge -p gcc" shows only "sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1".... what am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

/etc/portage/package.keywords with line:
=sys-devel/gcc-4.1.0 ~x86
I guess
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prymitive wrote:
maverick6664 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

/etc/portage/package.keywords with line:
I guess

Thanks.....now I had found it and visited to delete my previous post :)
luser99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Worth it!! Reply with quote

Hi,

My two 2 cents is to say that upgrading to gcc 4.x and to emerge -avuDNe world is hell'uv worth. Gcc 4.x ripped through ~700 packages like butter. Except for this ones :( :

libmpeg3
cryptsetup-luk
blender
libdv
glibmm
swig
wv
p7zip
faad2
blas-atlas

I was pretty disappointed at Blender no compiling :(

A question for the GCC 4. geekos, is now safe to uninstall the older Gcc's? May I also uninstall

sys-libs/libstdc++-v3
virtual/libstdc++

as I understand those are for gcc 3.4.x compatability.

Thanks!! And have fun with Gcc 4.x compiling party!!

PS: I remember when I upgraded to 3.4.x there was
luser99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: How can I check what has NOT been compiled with gcc 4.x? Reply with quote

hi,

In the forum to upgrade to gcc 3.4.x is shown this

Quote:
revdep-rebuild --library libstdc++.so.5 -- -pv
revdep-rebuild --library libstdc++.so.5

To check what hasn't been compiled with the latest gcc. How can I do this in order to se what's hasn't been compiled with gcc 4.x?

Thanks...
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth it!! Reply with quote

luser99 wrote:

A question for the GCC 4. geekos, is now safe to uninstall the older Gcc's? May I also uninstall

sys-libs/libstdc++-v3
virtual/libstdc++

as I understand those are for gcc 3.4.x compatability.

Thanks!! And have fun with Gcc 4.x compiling party!!

You might want to delete sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 from your system, but that's not a good idea. This package provides libstdc++so.5, which is similar to libstdc++.so.6 but these two versions are binary incompatible.

Every C++ app compiled with a recent GCC compiler (above version 3.3.6) will use libstdc++.so.6 (by default). However, projects that offer binary builds of C++ based apps will often link against the old library: these projects consider libstdc++.so.5 to be present in all decent Linux distro's.

So, if you are using binary packages like: Firefox, Skype, Macromedia flash, Realplayer, Openoffice, Java (and other stuff not compiled by your own compiler) your system will simply need this compatibility library. The choice for the big boys to link against the older version provides the widest range of supported distro's (newer and older ones). It's clear that linux distributions are supposed to provide the older library to be able to run these apps. :)

Quote:
In the forum to upgrade to gcc 3.4.x is shown this ...

You might have binary apps. Re-emerge them 1000 times, they will still link against libstdc++.so.5 :)
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth it!! Reply with quote

luser99 wrote:
Hi,

My two 2 cents is to say that upgrading to gcc 4.x and to emerge -avuDNe world is hell'uv worth. Gcc 4.x ripped through ~700 packages like butter. Except for this ones :( :

libmpeg3
cryptsetup-luk
blender
libdv
glibmm
swig
wv
p7zip
faad2
blas-atlas

Thank you for the info.
In my case 3 packages were included; libmpeg3 swig faad2. However if I unmasked newer versions by adding these lines in /etc/portage/package.keywords
Code:
=media-libs/libmpeg3-1.5.2-r1 ~x86
=dev-lang/swig-1.3.25 ~x86
=media-libs/faad2-2.0-r7 ~x86

they were compiled w/o problem (I don't know about further problem :D).
DtZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished recompiling my entire amd64 system with gcc 4.1 and it seems everything is working fine :) . As for the packages that need ~arch flag set, there were only a few of them.
Code:

=media-libs/libmpeg3-1.5.2-r3
=media-libs/libquicktime-0.9.7-r1
=media-libs/faad2-2.0-r11
=app-arch/unrar-3.5.4
=x11-libs/gtk+extra-2.1.1
=dev-lang/swig-1.3.25
=dev-embedded/gpsim-0.21.11
=net-libs/linc-1.0.3-r1
=media-libs/musicbrainz-2.1.1-r1
=app-arch/p7zip-4.30
=net-irc/konversation-0.19-r1
=sci-mathematics/octave-2.1.72

There's also a little problem with vmware workstation's kernel module, which won't compile. Removing Werror flag from the Makefile solves the problem though and everything works again :D
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DtZ wrote:

There's also a little problem with vmware workstation's kernel module, which won't compile. Removing Werror flag from the Makefile solves the problem though and everything works again :D

I'm also using vmware without problem with generic 2.6.16.5 with a patch. The problem isn't in the compiler, but in the kernel version. You can download the useful patch from http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/ (vmware-any-any-update-xxx.tar.gz). It's an unofficial patch a guy is making, but very stable and up to date. Hope this helps! Editing by hand may be good...but I like this unofficial patch.

I am also using nvidia's kernel module for OpenGL direct rendering without problem!

And in my case /etc/portage/package.keywords is now
Code:
x11-libs/wxGTK ~x86
app-portage/euses ~x86
app-text/dvipng ~x86
games-util/joystick ~x86
=sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r1 ~x86
=app-arch/dpkg-1.13.11 ~x86
=app-arch/rpm-4.2-r2 ~x86
=dev-libs/nss-3.9.2-r3 ~x86
=media-libs/libquicktime-0.9.7-r1 ~x86
=media-tv/xawtv-3.95 ~x86
=net-libs/liblockfile-1.06-r1 ~x86
=app-cdr/cdrdao-1.2.1-r1 ~x86
=app-editors/nvu-1.0-r4 ~x86
=app-text/djvu-3.5.16 ~x86
=net-analyzer/iptraf-3.0.0-r2 ~x86

Interesting finding is at first I upgraded glibc to glibc-2.3.6-r3 and then "gpg -d < (bla blah)" failed with segfault in ctermio() in libc.so. So I upgraded glibc again to glibc to 2.4-r1 and succeeded.

But I couldn't compile nvi, so I changed it to vim. It's not a problem at all. And actually blender won't compile in my case either. Even the original source of blender won't compile. I suspect it's a problem of blender..? If Fedora core 5 can use blender, we may be able to move blender from rpm source distribution.
EDIT: yes, it's available here http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=blender&submit=Search+. I'm trying both original and this rpm.
EDIT2: and both failed. I don't check the source for now, but I guess it's possible to build blender.

Last edited by maverick6664 on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
staffan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading through this I've also decided to upgrade and while it took a while, because I'm using an old 733 MHz Pentium III, it went surprisingly well. I'm using cflags "-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Packages (latest ~x86 versions) I've not been able to compile yet are:

dev-lang/inform
net-nntp/klibido
sci-astronomy/celestia

The only one that bugs me of the above is inform and I noticed it didn't have any bugs filed at all. This probably means that:

a) Nobody really tried

or

b) I'm an idiot :)

I need to investigate more before ruling out b.

I was using a 2.6.12-something kernel and this wouldn't compile but an upgrade was long overdue, anyway. This also went without any problems.

So far, this seems very stable so I'll say it's worth doing. A little tweaking is necessary but nothing major.
red-wolf76
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maverick6664 wrote:
And in my case /etc/portage/package.keywords is now
Code:
x11-libs/wxGTK ~x86
app-portage/euses ~x86
app-text/dvipng ~x86
games-util/joystick ~x86
=sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r1 ~x86
=app-arch/dpkg-1.13.11 ~x86
=app-arch/rpm-4.2-r2 ~x86
=dev-libs/nss-3.9.2-r3 ~x86
=media-libs/libquicktime-0.9.7-r1 ~x86
=media-tv/xawtv-3.95 ~x86
=net-libs/liblockfile-1.06-r1 ~x86
=app-cdr/cdrdao-1.2.1-r1 ~x86
=app-editors/nvu-1.0-r4 ~x86
=app-text/djvu-3.5.16 ~x86
=net-analyzer/iptraf-3.0.0-r2 ~x86
On a side note, if you want to lock-down for a particular version, but receive the latest version-release updates (-r1, -r2, etc.) you may want to change from having
Code:
=somesuch-category/foo-1.2.3-r4

to
Code:
~somesuch-category/foo-1.2.3

in your package.keywords. The former would restrict you to foo-1.2.3-r4 only, barring foo-1.2.3-r5 through foo-1.2.3-r? when they come out. The latter keeps only foo-1.2.4 and up out.

Use sane CFLAGS! If for no other reason, do it for the lulz!
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red-wolf76 wrote:
On a side note, if you want to lock-down for a particular version, but receive the latest version-release updates (-r1, -r2, etc.) you may want to change from having
Code:
=somesuch-category/foo-1.2.3-r4

to
Code:
~somesuch-category/foo-1.2.3

in your package.keywords. The former would restrict you to foo-1.2.3-r4 only, barring foo-1.2.3-r5 through foo-1.2.3-r? when they come out. The latter keeps only foo-1.2.4 and up out.

Thank you for your advice!
red-wolf76
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maverick6664 wrote:
Thank you for your advice!
No problem, that's what this forum is about, after all. :D

Use sane CFLAGS! If for no other reason, do it for the lulz!
Kidel Fastro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I started this thread so I guess I should say something more..

I have build gcc-4.1.0 using gcc-3.4.5. Then I build glibc-2.4 and then recompiled gcc-4.1.0.

Using my cflags
Code:
-march=pentium4 -O2 -mtune=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -msse2 -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse,387 -DNO_DEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT -DNDEBUG

I did emerge -e world
my system is stable and works fine. I had no problems with emerging anything except OOO but I am not sure if it has to do something with gcc or some OOO bug.

as a conclusion
IMHO GCC-4.1.0 works fine without any problems but i can't say anything about speed boost. Think its impossible to see it on 3.2GHz processor.
luser99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: are those necessary CFLAGS? o.O Reply with quote

Kidel Fastro wrote:
Ok, I started this thread so I guess I should say something more..

I have build gcc-4.1.0 using gcc-3.4.5. Then I build glibc-2.4 and then recompiled gcc-4.1.0.

Using my cflags
Code:
-march=pentium4 -O2 -mtune=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -msse2 -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse,387 -DNO_DEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT -DNDEBUG

I did emerge -e world
my system is stable and works fine. I had no problems with emerging anything except OOO but I am not sure if it has to do something with gcc or some OOO bug.

as a conclusion
IMHO GCC-4.1.0 works fine without any problems but i can't say anything about speed boost. Think its impossible to see it on 3.2GHz processor.

Hi,

I see you've recompile your system with,

Quote:
-mmmx -msse -msse2 -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse,387 -DNO_DEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT -DNDEBUG

On irssi I've told consistenly NOT TO use those, and instead use the mmx and sse USE flags for individual packages. However some other discussions that were comparing blender benchmarks noted that those flags aren't used by default nor with the sse and mmx USE flags. Gentoo irc told me that using those CFLAGS would brake or bork my system. But I see that you've compile the entire system with those without a glitch as well as those comparing blender performance. This is my question now,

SHOULD I ENABLE THOSE FLAGS AND RECOMPILE MY SYSTEM?

I hate thinking that something is being left out, and worst of all if glibc hasn't been compile with those CFLAGS nothing will ever use them for optimization :'-(

Thanks you
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got another trouble.

Since I upgraded gcc to 4.1.0 and glibc to 2.4-r1 and some other packages, I have been getting crash with mozilla/seamonkey-1.0.1 and nightly build (not gentoo's package), when opening http://www.google.com or browsing http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids. The crash doesn't always happen, but more often than not.

So I want to ask what's the possibility of the cause? :?:

I suspect glibc-2.4 and am trying to go back to 2.3.6-r3 (yes, going back is somewhat tricky, but I found a way). I seem to have to do another "emerge -e world"....!! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: