Alsa/amixer install problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Alsa/amixer install problems Reply with quote

I'm running Gentoo 1.3a. I am currently trying to install Alsa but when I get to the point where I run amixer I get this error:

amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

I compiled Intel8xx(my chipset) and OSS into the kernel as modules. I entered i810_audio, ac97_codec, and snd-pcm-oss into the modules.autoload file and all load fine except for snd-pcm-oss which it cannot find. There are no errors during install until I get to the amixer part. BTW, where are the modules listed? They are not in the /lib/modules/[kernel version]/misc directory because there is no misc directory anymore.
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the dekstop guide is a little old. I removed the modules for sound from my kernel, and then rememerged alsa-driver. You should be able to see the modukles avalibe under /lib/modules/[kernel-version]/kernel/sound/(prolly pci). Then u need to edit /etc/modules.d/alsa.
Code:
##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 urcard
alias snd-card-1 urcard

Then run update-modules. btw u dont need to do h stuff with aliases, or change /etc/modules.autoload. Make sure u have the right permisions on devfsd.conf. Try and start alsasound. I got some errors, but sound worked, and thoose errors went away when alsasound loaded on boot. This might not be right, but it worked for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: