View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: SOT office Reply with quote

Has anyone installed SOT office on Gentoo?
I just installed on my win2k laptop, and it kicks butt! Full compatibility with that other office product (M$) and open source. I am asuming that this is also true about open office (since SOT is built on open office), but if someone you know is looking for an alternative to M$, SOT seems pretty cool. Most everything looks just like M$'s products, and functions the same way. I am not sure if the spreadsheet is as robust as Excel though.
It isn't in the portage tree, but can be found at: http://www.sot.com/en/linux/soto/

-Andrew
SeanOchoa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think that sot office is better than openoffice?

have you installed sot office for linux???
If you haven't noticed, the idea behind computers has gotten way out of hand. One has to realize that they were created in the firt place to make life easier... if they aren't, then there is something that needs to change.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded it, the sources, but have yet to install it. That will be my project for tomorrow. At 114MB, it is a lot of source code, so i figure it will take a while,and tonight is me installing gentoo on my IBM T22 laptop :wink:
But I am tired and will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
I have not tried open office, but because SOT is based on open office, I assume that it would be fairly similar, but I figure atleast for my windows partition on my laptop that I would use SOT rather than some M$ product, and then try it out in linux.
I do feel however that SOT 2002 office is better than star office 5, although I have yet to check out version 6.
-Andrew
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice Reply with quote

I've got OpenOffice 1.0 installed, and I'm pretty impressed. I installed from the binaries, not source. Yes I believe SOT is based on OpenOffice, although I don't know if there has been a new release of SOT since OpenOffice went 1.0, which was just this week.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I installed Open office on my main desktop linux box yesterday, and learned that SOT office is just OpenOffice under a different name. All SOT really did was change the graphics, cause everything else looks pretty much the same. But hey, SOT works well, and so does OpenOffice, so the choice is yours.

-Andrew
grakker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: open office Reply with quote

Until the spreadsheet accepts more than 32000 rows, I'm stuck with excel at work. :evil:

For word processing I use Abiword. I don't think that too many people use the all the other stuff. Nice that it's out there though.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is alot of rows! :o

just curious as to what 32000 rows isn't enough for.

-Andrew
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squanto wrote:

Yes, "640K ought to be enough for anyone." - Bill Gates, 1981 :lol:
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, "640K ought to be enough for anyone."

How many rows does gnumeric let you go?
grakker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squanto wrote:

-Andrew

Ah, I just do a lot of reports where I need to pull stuff out of spreadsheets and make it more consise for vp types. Excel goes to 64,000 or thereabouts. I'm getting a little close to that. Customer reports for a semi-large retail chain, shit like that. Nothing exciting, just a lot of rows. And yes, I know that there are easier ways to deal with it, but the upper types don't like (understand) Linux and other ways of doing things. And the boss doesn't support me.... But hey, it's a paycheck.
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: SOT office Reply with quote

squanto wrote:
Has anyone installed SOT office on Gentoo?
I just installed on my win2k laptop, and it kicks butt! Full compatibility with that other office product (M$) and open source. I am asuming that this is also true about open office (since SOT is built on open office), but if someone you know is looking for an alternative to M$, SOT seems pretty cool. Most everything looks just like M$'s products, and functions the same way. I am not sure if the spreadsheet is as robust as Excel though.
It isn't in the portage tree, but can be found at: http://www.sot.com/en/linux/soto/

-Andrew

There are ISO too ( 643584K ) for Linux Desktop.
Just wondering if the ISO can be mounted and extracted to avoid burnign a CD ;-)

MACPRO machine...
Houdini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grakker wrote:
squanto wrote:

-Andrew

Ah, I just do a lot of reports where I need to pull stuff out of spreadsheets and make it more consise for vp types. Excel goes to 64,000 or thereabouts. I'm getting a little close to that. Customer reports for a semi-large retail chain, shit like that. Nothing exciting, just a lot of rows. And yes, I know that there are easier ways to deal with it, but the upper types don't like (understand) Linux and other ways of doing things. And the boss doesn't support me.... But hey, it's a paycheck.

Uh, have you considered a database? You would most likely gain some speed and usefulness, even if using Access :)

(Or, better yet, use the SQL binding in Access and use something that doesn't suck. That way, if they ask, you're still using access :) )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: