View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Good luck to Gentoo Games Inc. !! Reply with quote

Well this is great news, now the Linux community is one step closer from reaching commercial game recognition.

Only thing that bothers me is that the first release is that questionnable US Army propaganda game... anyways, can't wait to see what's next!
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree, for a pacifist it is like a kick in the face...
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasmagunman wrote:
agree, for a pacifist it is like a kick in the face...

Please don't start any pro/anti-war flamewars, this wasn't the goal of this topic at all.
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, that wasn't the goal of my post neither. this forums should stay clean of any flamewars, since they don't make sense. i'm just a little disappointed, but as you already said: let's see what comes next.
beowulf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, i'm really excited to see a new linux games company started... and i hope it's run in the same manner of the Gentoo Linux OS that most of us here use!

This could become the next Loki Games?

In any case... can't wait to see what's in store for Gentoo Games!
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasmagunman: Sorry for the harsh reply. I'm currently spending the whole damn night working on an important essay for school so I'm feeling extra cranky. Plus them Wake-Ups are making my stomach ache badly.

beowulf: Hell yeah, a new Loki would be great, and you can bet I'll buy everything they release if that's the case. We don't want another bankrupt Linux gaming company, now don't we?

I'm also looking forward for the newly renamed Angry Pixels company. Yes, quality gaming on Linux is coming soon.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat :D

...damn i just got to get myself a credit card now!!! ...is still need to get tux-racer, hereticII and heavy metal fakk(2) from loki :]

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Unixmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think America's Army is a great choice for a first title.

It is very popular right now, and the anticipation in the linux community has been high ever since icculus posted that screenshot.

Most importantly, it is FREE. Everyone can check it out without paying a cent.
MaRTiaN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: ebuild? Reply with quote

Surely being a Gentoo related issue, they could have released an ebuild with the announcement? I don't fancy downloading a cd just to try it out, the last few gentoo live-cd's haven't liked me (My cd-rom's are scsi and the scsi support on the boot disk kills my network card).

Oh well, I'll just have to wait I suppose. Kudos to them though, hopefully we'll get some cool games :)

Is there any way to collect information about how many people install the game? If the numbers are big enough, some of the bigger game manufacterers may decide to test the linux waters (I want thief 3 on Linux!!!!)
Schwin97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This strikes me as a VERY interesting idea. The interesting part is that this could push the pc into the realm of the console game. Think about how they are packaging their first game. Burn the iso and reboot and you are playing america's army. If they can get the boot sufficiently fast and handle more types of hardware, then a gaming company can create the game for one platform and it doesn't matter the OS being used by the owner.

How far off base am I on this???

Schwin97
hernan43
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwin97 wrote:
If they can get the boot sufficiently fast and handle more types of hardware, then a gaming company can create the game for one platform and it doesn't matter the OS being used by the owner.

It could prove to be a money saver for game companies. They would ony need to worry about a single release. It could also mean hardware vendors could pay more attention to the Linux community and provide more Linux drivers for their products. Of course I could be way off base...
--Ray
okneff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: have a look at jollix Reply with quote

http://www.jollix.de
it's a gentoo LiveCD that lets you set up your windoze half life (+ mods) installation. The jollix project aims in the same direction but there's only a german version at this point.[/url]
FoX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is totaly a good news!

This was one of the thing the comunity needed, more games!
But was america's army game's the best choice?

Well, this is a rely good thing anyway! I wonder if they accept game idea submission.

-FoX
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gamers & Players.
guy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwin97 wrote:
This strikes me as a VERY interesting idea. The interesting part is that this could push the pc into the realm of the console game. Think about how they are packaging their first game. Burn the iso and reboot and you are playing america's army. If they can get the boot sufficiently fast and handle more types of hardware, then a gaming company can create the game for one platform and it doesn't matter the OS being used by the owner.

How far off base am I on this???

Schwin97

That would be really interesting... it could also provide a way for linux to be used for profit-- a company makes a game (closed-source most likely), combines it with this self-booting disk, and bam. The only thing is it would most likely be online-based games, as you cannot save anything to disk really.
uzik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwin97 wrote:

Schwin97

The big advantage of console games is you have fixed well understood hardware to develop for. You don't have that with this concept. That's not to say it's not doable though. For games you might be able to legitimately make the assumption they will have 'X' or 'Y' for hardware or GL or VESA support. It's probably pretty doable and would fix a lot of the problems I've seen with games on Linux.
revmoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that hardware support would be all that difficult to do, if you think about it, most gamers will have either an Nvidia card, or an ATI card, there really aren't many other alternatives. Sound is a little bit trickier because there are so many generics, but I still don't think it would be all that difficult to accomplish.

What if they started releasing games on bootable cd's that turned your pc into a console of sorts, using the hard drive for save games, and mods/updates and such... They could even detect unsupported hardware, download the driver, and save it to your hard drive thus taking care of almost any compatibility issues...
alphatronics
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revmoo wrote:
What if they started releasing games on bootable cd's that turned your pc into a console of sorts, using the hard drive for save games, and mods/updates and such... They could even detect unsupported hardware, download the driver, and save it to your hard drive thus taking care of almost any compatibility issues...

Perhaps an option where, when the cd loads, it asks you for a partition/hd to save info to (something along the lines of hda1 or hdb5), there it can retrieve drivers/savegames if they've already been installed, or create/install them if they haven't.
mlang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uzik wrote:
Schwin97 wrote:

Schwin97

The big advantage of console games is you have fixed well understood hardware to develop for. You don't have that with this concept. That's not to say it's not doable though. For games you might be able to legitimately make the assumption they will have 'X' or 'Y' for hardware or GL or VESA support. It's probably pretty doable and would fix a lot of the problems I've seen with games on Linux.

I agree - it is a very exciting idea, and I look foward to seeing other releases in this format.

Regarding hardware detection - you are 100% correct. And I do think it is doable - I've been able to just pop Gentoo's liveCD's into most of the machines I have here without any problem whatsoever. I did have a problem with the America's Army cd though - when it booted into X I was mouseless...I have to use /dev/psaux in my XF86Config - but fixing that was just a matter of dropping out of X and nano'ing the config.
uzik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably couldn't mod probe mouse drivers since you can't tell
if the mouse is connected to a serial port. You'd have to write something
to scan for them like a modem auto detector does. There not being
that many kinds of mouse ports that's not too tough.
uzik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a cool project. Sign me up if you need a C coder
or tester.
Anubis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooohhh, that I had more time to help out. Well, and I guess that I went the way of the Dark Side and switched majors from Computer Science to the evil school of business (Information Systems). Anyway, if you guys need someone to help out a bit with some C++ let me know.

Oh, almost forgot... this is yet another reason that Gentoo rules!
Lisandro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that brings gaming to Linux gets my full aproval and support! Kudos to the gentoo team!
maj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet! games for linux - hopefully nvidia will open their sources so we can get some faster 3d support :D
dsample
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of the liveCDs for the games, although I hope there are ebuilds too so we can have a choice of installing it properly.

I may have a look at what's on the LiveCDs and customise one for myself.

I would like to make it so that it can either grab the config files off a small 'console' partition and keep the saves there.

The other issue that I've heard from this forum seems to be the different mouse and CD-Rom Setups. The mouse issues shouldn't be a problem. I should be able to either find a autodetecting app, or hack one. I don't know about the SCSI support, because I don't have a SCSI CD-Rom (technically... even though I have a CD-RW which has to use the IDE-SCSI drivers).

I actually haven't tried a LiveCD yet :oops: ... As I already had UT2003, but I'm downloading America's Army at the moment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: