Mplayer "strobo" jerkiness despite RTC=1024
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Mplayer "strobo" jerkiness despite RTC=1024 Reply with quote

Hello!

I know this is not a gentoo thing, but it might have something to do with gentoo's special kernel patches and upgrades...

Maybe it's just my pro's eye. Maybe I have been in advertising and TV for too long, but maybe the mplayer has a problem...
It seemed jerky at first, so I fixed the RTC timer to 1024 and voila... the movies are playing smoother even for non-root user, but still NOT as smooth as they should be...

The jerkiness goes unnoticed by most observers, but there is a slight "stroboscopic" effect, much like a 25 fps vs 50 f/2ps.... (yes, there is a difference in smoothness). It seems like the frames were not motion blurred enough. On slow sliding scenes (ie Starwars intro) there is slight speed-ups and slow-downs - about 2-3 per second. It seems like every 7-8 fast frames there are 3-4 slow ones. The jerkiness is not abrupt, it's quite smooth, so most people never notice it.

It's quite annoying though, especially because I have seen this movie in a windows player. It's smooth and rock solid.

Anyone knows a sollution?
toni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Ungh! Reply with quote

Hello!

I love this. A problem noone else has or has experienced. I also love solving this problem all by myself (take a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=17022). Everyone is invited to hide their own acorns in this thread.

I rounded up the problem to be either the scheduler in kernel or the way mplayer acualy decodes video streams. Ok I needn't be a rocket scientist for this one. Actually This descovery doesn't solve anything. Bugger.

Our Gentoo patched kernel 2.4.19-r10 is feature-packed. It's like a walking army of patches. I didn't even bother to read through /usr/src/linux/patches.txt. Ijust looked at the first few nasty ones:

The O(1) scheduler (new preemptive scheduler)
XX_defconfig (sane value configuration file)
XX_futexes-2.0.2* (new threading)
XX_gcc3-compile-opts (athlon optimisations)

Any of these coud cause this, as well as -march=athlon-4 or -mcpu=athlon-4, whichever I used on this piece of software. While it's rather temting to spend several nights in a row fixing a simple problem I shouldn't have in the first place, I have yet to deciede what path to take...
    Some other OS, no mentioned (a non option, really).
    Some other player (perhaps)
    Some other kernel (oh please, not more of this crap)
    Some other eyes (see option 1)
    Some other monitor (no, this one is crappy enough and this error shows still)
    Some other brain (got that one)

THE JOY!
The Jaff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive noticed this too.. Very slight jerky playback of most formats in mplayer. I run gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r5 on a P4 1.7 Ghz with 512 Mb RDRAM. Cpu utilization never goes above 40% when playing for example the 640xsomething new trailer for matrix reloaded so it shouldnt be unsufficient hardware. Oh, my graphics card is a GeForce3 64mb.
Tuna
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try adding the following to your /etc/mplayer.conf and see if it helps
Code:
mc=0.001

note that A/V synchronisation may suffer from that one.
The Jaff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc=0.001 did nothing for me but using oss (-ao=oss) for audio output did the trick (i think sdl was used by default on my system). Playback is much smoother now.

Further info:

MPlayer 0.90-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Xeon Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 2)
    Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
    CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
    VO: [xv] 640x346 => 640x346 Packed YUY2
    AO: [oss] 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian) (2 bps)

paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah this worked well for me also, thanks for the tip. It was using the arts server in KDE for me before. Switching to OSS helped smoothness as well as synchronization.

Also, if you like Mplayer and want to use your KDE theme (if you use KDE), check out kmplayer. It uses mplayer as the video engine but has a KDE-native GUI instead of the one that gmplayer uses.
crunchtime
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the codec, or perhaps the way the movie was encoded.

I'm more of sound than a visual guy, but my father used to do video encoding for a living so you pickup some things, but I still may be wrong.

I see a lot of movies these days encoded with 23.97 fps,
off the top of my head isn't the ntsc standard nearly 30fps.
And pal is 25 fps.

If you're used to broadcast quality video you're bound to notice the difference.

I remember there used to be an option in the windows version of Divx, where there was an option to enable smooth playback and a slider to decide playback quality vs cpu. They made a difference.

To be honest though, I've noticed a lot of Mpeg4 stuff (divx,xvid, etc) has problems with fast moving scenes if not encoded correctly, even on hardware encoders.

However since it works fine on windows, I believe that the stroboscopic effect you are having could well be the refresh rate of your monitor/tv If you are watching on a monitor, try setting the refresh higher.
Perhaps on windows the video playback is synced to the refresh of the monitor??? (just a guess) If you are watching on a TV there are even more variables, check that your tv output matches the pal or ntsc standard, check in your tv manual perhaps.

Hope thats of some help, a really bad strobo effect bugs me, but if its really slight I tend to get used to it. However thats not easy if your used to near perfect video.

I know the feeling, listening to music on Tannoy Reveals, if I go somewhere else and hear speakers distorting, or rattling it bugs the hell out of me.
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crunchtime wrote:

I see a lot of movies these days encoded with 23.97 fps,
off the top of my head isn't the ntsc standard nearly 30fps.
And pal is 25 fps.

Standard film is encoded at 23.97 fps and set-top DVD players will interlace the video and convert it to 29.97 fps for an NTSC television. This way films are preserved in their proper format and can be later output based on the type of TV/monitor connected. Hence the options like anamorphic widescreen, progressive scan, etc.
Only a source that is actually NTSC will usually have 29.97 fps and it will probably already be interlaced (and 4:3 aspect ratio at that). You would probably see this if you watched a DVD of a television series such as Friends or something like that.

But I agree with you, many people take sources and encode them improperly, resulted in unnecessary overhead to correct their mistakes. The slowdown we experienced though was due to the audio overhead of the system, so switching it to OSS alleviated this strain. Not exactly sure why.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: