use the aurora sparc distro cd for boot kernel 2.4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lviz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: use the aurora sparc distro cd for boot kernel 2.4 Reply with quote

hi all

use the cd 1 from aurora sparc distro to boot
2.4 kernel
all problems are gone for me .

regards
lviz

http://auroralinux.org/
torradan
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all well and good to get the machine to boot this way, but we're trying to fix our current test iso to work on sparc32 and ultrasparc machines for the 1.4 release.

We need people to test the isos, and either post on here, hop on irc and tell us the problems, or email to the gentoo-sparc mailing list so that we can fix the problems and get it all working.

Bear with us while we get this worked out.
Lviz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torradan wrote:
This is all well and good to get the machine to boot this way, but we're trying to fix our current test iso to work on sparc32 and ultrasparc machines for the 1.4 release.

We need people to test the isos, and either post on here, hop on irc and tell us the problems, or email to the gentoo-sparc mailing list so that we can fix the problems and get it all working.

Bear with us while we get this worked out.

Ok no problem i'll test :)
btw: where are the test isos ;) is /~manson/iso the right place ?

hope to hear from you soon
i'll try in on an ss20 4 way ross hypersparc quad ethernet

cheers
lviz
torradan
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the latest test can be found at:

http://cvs.gentoo.org/~weeve/iso/gentoo-s32-s64-test3.iso

beware though, openssl still seems to be b0rked on it, so you'll have to wget one of the stage tarballs either with a debian cd (maybe aurora works, i dunno). Working on solving that problem now.
teamgoodwrench
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. how do you use the Aurora CD 1 to boot and install gentoo ???

I can boot the Aurora CD, but there is no "ramdisk" option and the "rescue" option talks about needing a diskette -- my Sparcstation 5 only has a CD-ROM -- no diskette.

Help !

Thanks
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 2 days of trying with the 1.1a boot-cd, i figured out that it simply won't work and then found this forum.. will try the new image also, on a sparcstation 5.

/// tomas

torradan wrote:

beware though, openssl still seems to be b0rked on it, so you'll have to wget one of the stage tarballs either with a debian cd (maybe aurora works, i dunno). Working on solving that problem now.
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

booting and installing worked fine, but the machine won't boot, silo tells me something about old prom version (SMCC) which can't read stuff written to over 1GB....?!? what to do ?

tomas

torradan wrote:

Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you want to do is make sure the partition your kernel is in is under the 1GB limit. For instance, making your first partition something small (10 or 20MB) and making it /boot takes care of this problem (Note: you also may need to put your silo.conf in /boot/etc to have silo work right).
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what i fear,

is there any possibility to shift partitions dynamically ? i don't want to do all this procedure which took me some days again...?!?

tomas

Weeve wrote:
What you want to do is make sure the partition your
kernel is in is under the 1GB limit. For instance, making your first partition something small (10 or 20MB) and making it /boot takes care of this problem (Note: you also may need to put your silo.conf in /boot/etc to have silo work right).
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try looking at the GNU parted software but I have not attempted to use it on sparc, so I have no clue if it works or not. What I've done in this situation is boot with the cd and once inside the chroot, mount an nfs partition from the network file server and tar up my fs onto the nfs partition. Then you can re-partition the disk and extract the tarball back onto the system without loosing all your work.

Hope that helps
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, this was second choice, but i was so lucky that i put swapspace to sector 0-690, so i could delete this swap space and repartition one little 10M boot part and rest is swap, this worked fine. second my pretty long compiled kernel wouldn't boot "watchdog reset!", first approach was to take the "up" kernel of the test3 cd. this boots.... but i'd like to use my kernel.... will check settings against .config on cd.

bye.
tomas

Weeve wrote:
You can try looking at the GNU parted software but I have not attempted to use it on sparc, so I have no clue if it works or not. What I've done in this situation is boot with the cd and once inside the chroot, mount an nfs partition from the network file server and tar up my fs onto the nfs partition. Then you can re-partition the disk and extract the tarball back onto the system without loosing all your work.

Hope that helps
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which kernel did you choose to use? It sounds like you used the vanilla-sources or one you downloaded. You'll need to adjust your kernel's makefile to use kgcc instead of gcc if this is the case.
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first i tried 2.4.18 from www.kernel.org, because they were mentioned in the sparc-install-faq... they wouldn't compile on sparc32 anyway, did some checkings in the source code that produced errors, and there were significant differencies between sparc32 and 64 sources, so i downloaded 2.4.20 from www.ultralinux.org, it looked like this one would compile on sparc32, and it did perfectly well. i'm not sure, but i think gcc was used. how do i tell to use kgcc (and what IS kgcc ???) or which kernel-sources (and from where) do you suggest ?

thanks for helping.

tomas

Weeve wrote:
Which kernel did you choose to use? It sounds like you used the vanilla-sources or one you downloaded. You'll need to adjust your kernel's makefile to use kgcc instead of gcc if this is the case.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are running a uni-processor system (single processor) sparc-sources will work fine. If you use sparc-sources it knows about kgcc and uses it by default so you wouldn't have to do anything different from a regular kernel complation. If you are running an SMP system, you will need vanilla-sources (which is the same as downloading the kernel source from a mirror.

The problem with sparc32 machines and the kernel is that gcc-3.x cannot currently be used to compile a working kernel (partly gcc's fault, partly kernel sources fault). The way to make a working kernel is to use gcc.-2.95.3. What kgcc is is a stripped down version of gcc-2.95.3 which consists of only what you need to compile the kernel. To adjust a kernel to use this, just change the line in the (assuming your kernel source is in /usr/src/linux) /usr/src/linux/Makefile from "CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc" to "CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)kgcc" and you should be all set.
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you're right, my gcc was 3.2.2, and i should have known myself how to change to kgcc. kgcc -v gives 2.95.3.something. started compiling... we'll see tomorrow, thanks anyway.

tomas

Weeve wrote:
If you are running a uni-processor system (single processor) sparc-sources will work fine. If you use sparc-sources it knows about kgcc and uses it by default so you wouldn't have to do anything different from a regular kernel complation. If you are running an SMP system, you will need vanilla-sources (which is the same as downloading the kernel source from a mirror.

The problem with sparc32 machines and the kernel is that gcc-3.x cannot currently be used to compile a working kernel (partly gcc's fault, partly kernel sources fault). The way to make a working kernel is to use gcc.-2.95.3. What kgcc is is a stripped down version of gcc-2.95.3 which consists of only what you need to compile the kernel. To adjust a kernel to use this, just change the line in the (assuming your kernel source is in /usr/src/linux) /usr/src/linux/Makefile from "CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc" to "CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)kgcc" and you should be all set.
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yap,

compiling went fine. took about 4-5 hours.... kernel was bootable... now i'll try to install X11 :)

tomas
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked :)
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: now X11... :) Reply with quote

puh, this is my first message unser gentoo/sparc, with self-compiled kernel. emegred lynx to connect to gentoo org. i have some 500MB free, can i try to install X11 ? what happens if not enough space is available ? for binaries it should be enough, but if i emerge i think X11 will get compiled for/by my machine... and then with 500MB ???? /// tomas
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: XClient only Reply with quote

or... can i use it as XClient only ???
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: