artsd crashes when running artsplay
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtowel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: artsd crashes when running artsplay Reply with quote

I have KDE 3.0.1 installed with the latest Gentoo and I've emerged kdemultimedia. aRts seems to work fine usually. It starts properly when KDE begins and window event sounds play. However, after some time artsd crashes without warning. I usually realize it after a while when I notice that no window sounds are playing anymore.

So I did some testing and I found that if I run artsd and then try to play a simple wave file using artsplay, artsd crashes - invariably. It crashes with this output (with debug output turned on):

UnixManager: got notifyIO
socketconnection created, fd = 10
play '/automount/media/cdrom1/audio/Plugin.wav'!
ObjectManager: Arts::Synth_PLAY_WAV - Library missing
MCOP ObjectManager: can't find implementation for Arts::Synth_PLAY_WAV.
Segmentation fault

I found that a couple other people in the Gentoo forums had this problem, and one person propsed a solution here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3506&highlight=kdemultimedia+noatun . Unfortunately, I don't have -fomit-frame-pointer in my CXXFLAGS in /etc/make.conf, so I can't attempt this proposed solution.

I also searched Google for other people with this problem and one suggested solution was to make sure libaudiofile was installed before compiling kdelibs. So I did that and re-emerged kdelibs, but it made no difference. The person said artsd is supposed to be linked with libaudiofile, but on my system it isn't (when I do ldd /usr/kde/3/bin/artsd), even after recompiling kdelibs with libaudiofile installed.

Is it really true that libaudiofile is supposed to be listed in ldd artsd? If so, then I wonder how I can get artsd to use it... :?

Thanks for any insight on this.
chrisjs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: build the arts package with -02 Reply with quote

I was having the same problem, gaim was running artsplay for some events and that would kill artsd with the same error.

I don't know about that other thread... In my experience you need to not include "-fomit-frame-pointer" just to get kdemultimedia to build. But it's actually arts that is causing your problem. Try
Code:
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe" emerge arts

and see if that fixes your problem.

(Adjust the march if you are on a Pentium (one) or lower. Also, watch the build and make sure it actually uses those CXXFLAGS, if not change them in /etc/make.conf. There's no reason it shouldn't pick it up by setting the env. vars that way but I've never tried it in this situation.)
vtowel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Can't compile arts or kdemultimedia Reply with quote

Strange...

I tried doing as you said, but I get this during configure when I try to merge arts:

Code:
checking if STL implementation is SGI like... no
checking if STL implementation is HP like... no
configure: error: "no known STL type found - did you forget to install libstdc++-devel ?"

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line -3699, Exitcode 1
!!! died running ./configure, kde_src_compile:configure

!!! emerge aborting on  /usr/portage/kde-base/arts/arts-1.0.1.20020604.ebuild .

So I merged STLport to see if that would help, but it made no difference.

So then I tried merging kdemultimedia again (which I had done at least three times before to try and fix the original problem), but now when I try that I get this:

Code:
checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0.3) (library qt-mt) not found. Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
Make sure that you have compiled Qt with thread support!

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line -3699, Exitcode 1
!!! died running ./configure, kde_src_compile:configure

!!! emerge aborting on  /usr/portage/kde-base/kdemultimedia/kdemultimedia-3.0.1.20020604.ebuild .

I reinstalled qt to try and fix this error, but that made no difference either.

If you have any idea why I can't install either of these things now (despite that kdemultimedia worked before), I'd love to hear about it!! Thanks.
vtowel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Solved... Reply with quote

Okay, I figured out why arts wouldn't compile: because I set CXXFLAGS! :roll: When I unset CXXFLAGS and tried compiling arts again, it worked fine. So the CXXFLAGS that you gave me must have a problem.

My default CXXFLAGS in /etc/make.conf are "-march=i686 -O3 -pipe", but the ones you gave me are "-march=i686 -o2 -pipe". Did you mean "-O2" instead of "-o2"? I'll try that and see if it works.

----

Update:

I tried upgrading portage to 2.05 and just recompiled arts with the default flags as they are in /etc/make.conf. That seemed to do the trick! Now artsplay doesn't crash artsd.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: