emerge fluxbox fails on Ultra 10, 2.4 kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fenreer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: emerge fluxbox fails on Ultra 10, 2.4 kernel Reply with quote

Greetings, i'm a newbie to Linux. I'm running a Sun Ultra 10 Creator3D and the latest 2.4 kernel.
emerge fluxbox fails with the following:

sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -02 -mtune=ultrasparc -pipe -Wall -02 -mtune=ultrasparc -pipe -o .libs/gifspnge gifspnge.o ../lib/.libs/libgif.so -lSM -lICE -IX11 ../lib/libgetarg.a
creating text2gif
make[2] *** [text2gif] Illegal instruction
make[2] *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
creating gifspnge
make[2] Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/giflib-4.1.4/work/giflib-4.1.4/util'
make[1] *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1] Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/giflib-4.1.4/work/giflib-4.1.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-libs/giflib-4.1.4 failed.

I noticed in other posts here that you often request the top 30 lines prior to the error, and i'll gladly provide that but it would be REALLY nice to know how to dump the output of emerge to a file. I tried emerge fluxbox >> emerge-fluxbox.txt but it only dumped the initial 10 or so lines, then quit. I hand-typed the lines above (yuck!).

I've tried to emerge fluxbox four times and each time I saw a different error. All of the errors occur within the media-libs/giflib-4.1.4 package of course, and they offer me such pleasant messages as "The error cannot be reproduced, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem," or "Illegal instruction," as seen above. You will also notice that I changed my /etc/make.conf variable -mcpu= to -mtune=, as I read in another post on this particular forum that doing so might allow fluxbox to emerge. Both methods failed, however. Here is my /etc/make.conf file currently:

CFLAGS="-02 -mtune=ultrasparc -pipe"
CHOST="sparc-unknown-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
[GENTOO_MIRRORS and SYNC omitted]
USE="hal howl -qt -kde alsa cdr"

Any help is much appreciated, and i'll promptly provide any additional information upon request. Please be clear about where I should obtain what you want, though, as i'm very new. :)
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
I noticed in other posts here that you often request the top 30 lines prior to the error, and i'll gladly provide that but it would be REALLY nice to know how to dump the output of emerge to a file. I tried emerge fluxbox >> emerge-fluxbox.txt but it only dumped the initial 10 or so lines, then quit. I hand-typed the lines above (yuck!).
[quote]

No help with the problem, but you can highlight text and then paste it into a buffer by clicking the "third" mouse button (on x86 archs anyway). I guess on a PPC you might hold down the Apple key and click the mouse button to do the pasting?

HTH's

slack
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: