slice the windows partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: slice the windows partition Reply with quote

i have windows on yet another machine that i would like to put gentoo on, although i need to keep windows on here. the hard drive is kinda fubar'ed and as such the only partition apps that will work on it are linux apps. if i try to run partition magic on it it'll say that the partition something-or-other doesn't match the one specified by the one the BIOS reads. something like that, i dunno.

thus, windows only thinks that there's 4gb on the hard drive when there's actually 7. linux sees all 7.

ANYWAY, i recall a partition app for linux (now that i think of it, i think it was a dos app that came with linux cd's in the dosutils section) that called FIPS or some such that would split a partition in half.

for example: a 2gb partition would be shrunk to one. and the remaining gb would be free space.

anyone recall this? anyone know where i can get it?

ill look around and see about a solution... but if anyone knows of other alternatives, please post! it's imperative that the information on this HD NOT be lost. and there's far to much to back up conventionally.

ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: fips Reply with quote

it's for example included in suse linux www.suse.com
their you have to search for the link to the ftp server, should be a directory called dosutils. btw i think you can choose how much to shrink and it mustn't be the half
florax
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, back when i used it, it was still FIPS 1.0. i found 2.0 straight from the developer.

boot it on a windows boot disk and it worked wonderfully.

ryan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: