forgot password
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rehanmomin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: forgot password Reply with quote

hey i have already installed gentoo with gnome environment, but i haven't used gentoo for a while on my computer. The last time i logged on to gentoo, I had changed the username and password, but i have forgotten it. I was wondering how i can find out my username and password or change them. Please help.
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Username: cat /etc/passwd

And to change the password, log as root and passwd [username]

HTH,
Norberto
rehanmomin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i boot to gentoo, my gnome login screen appears. How do i recover my username and password from there? Do i have to boot from the cd or what. I am new to linux so i would need a little bit more detail. Thanks.
woboz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the login screen hit ctrl-alt-f1 to get to a console screen. Then log in as root if you have the root password and follow the steps above.
Zokleet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: I'm also pretty noob... Reply with quote

... but anyway, I think you may try to boot in single user mode. To do this, just pass the '-s' argument on the kernel command line. using the boot CD is a good idea since they will tell you how to pass such extra params at boot time. Once in single user mode, i think you can do somehow everything you want down there, such as a simple 'passwd username', since I supose you lost the root passwd too...

Hell... I hope I'm f*****g wrong, since what i've just written is starting to make me paranoid!! Maybe I just dreamed of this somewhere, since it's not sounding very securityaware :?

I gotta RTFM...
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: I'm also pretty noob... Reply with quote

Zokleet wrote:
Hell... I hope I'm f*****g wrong, since what i've just written is starting to make me paranoid!! Maybe I just dreamed of this somewhere, since it's not sounding very securityaware :?

I gotta RTFM...

You're right :-/
anil_et
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If you have lost your root password, boot with the cd and login as root without password as told in the CD. Mount your / partition and chroot
now you can issue a command
Code:
 passwd
which will ask for password

This is how I did it last time when I lost my password
Anil
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so does this mean that any linux system is very easily hackable when physically on site? i know it's much easier to crack a computer when you're sitting there, but well, with a live cd it seems that anyone with any knowledge can wipe out everything on your computer with no problems, or worse, take your work and (depending on what you do) screw you over big time.

for me it's not an issue, yet. i'm a high school junior, living at home, the only one who knows linux, and with nothing to hide. but this could be a potential problem for others, no?

i don't know what, if anything, can be done to fix that, but maybe it's something that should be considered?
Sarah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
so does this mean that any linux system is very easily hackable when physically on site? i know it's much easier to crack a computer when you're sitting there, but well, with a live cd it seems that anyone with any knowledge can wipe out everything on your computer with no problems, or worse, take your work and (depending on what you do) screw you over big time.

If someone has physical access to your computer and wanted to screw you over, couldn't they just take your computer? :wink:. It's not really a Linux vulnerability exclusively. It's easy enough to boot from a CD or diskettes and gain access to an NTFS file system for instance. If you're really worried about someone booting your system off of a different boot media and getting at your files, you could set up a CMOS boot password. Of course, a knowledgeable person can get around that as well. You could also encrypt your sensitive files if you're worried about snoops.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments.
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

for me it's not an issue, yet. i'm a high school junior, living at home, the only one who knows linux, and with nothing to hide. but this could be a potential problem for others, no?

i don't know what, if anything, can be done to fix that, but maybe it's something that should be considered?

In my experience it's no easier to do in linux than it is to do in windows.

The problem of malicious people being able to get into your system with a boot disk/cd isn't dependent on OS. It is possible to protect against it by disabling boot from disk and boot from cd in your bios, then passwording your bios. But even then someone could open your case and clear the password if they know what they are doing. A padlock can fix that but then they could use bolt cutters....

The truth of the matter is no matter what you do someone can get around it if they really really want to. The only thing you can do is make it more difficult than someone with malicious purposes is willing to do. If you aren't worried about someone physically at your computer than being able to get in to it with a boot disk isn't an issue.

My GPG/PGP Public key
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: