Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Boot stalls at Parition Check on HTP366
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cylar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Boot stalls at Parition Check on HTP366 Reply with quote

I got the cd to boot just fine, and have finished the basic install of Gentoo. However, when my system boots, it hangs at the Partition Check. Here's my config:

Gentoo 1.1a (first installed 4/28/02)
Abit BP6 dual Celeron 522s
/dev/hde1 = WinXP
/dev/hdg1 = /boot
/dev/hdg3 = /

I'm using GRUB as my boot loader.

I saw some comments about setting ide[x]=noautotune, but that didn't help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been going through this too with a hpt370a raid controller...i am able to get past it using an older cd from gentoo but the bootstrap would fail....so i booted from this older cd image then once i got past the point at which it would stall using the 1.1a cd's i switched them and right now i am downloading the tree so hopefully it will run the bootstrap.sh this time

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well seems to have worked....strange how the newer 1.1a cd's hang on this where the older 1.0 goes strait on through....for me witht he 370a i then modprobe hptraid and then modprobe sd_mod then i go on from there running fdisk /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc

but anyway see if you can get the older image and play with it to see if you can get it to work for you...and remember if it does make it through to the keyboard selection change cd's to the newer 1.1a...other wise the portage will not match and it wont get past the bootstrap
Cylar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, the thing is that it will boot fine of the 1.1a (stage 1 only) CD that I used. It's getting it to boot using my installed Gentoo (self compiled kernel, grub) that is causing this problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, the HPT366 isn't RAID capable, so that's not an issue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i know its not a raid thing but i thought it might be a similar problem just at that partition check lock up thing....but newayz...take a look URL here[\url] and see if possibly the installing grub from a floppy will fix this for you...i havent gotten to this yet i am still emerging the system.
tebers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Boot stalls at Parition Check on HTP366 Reply with quote

Cylar wrote:

I saw some comments about setting ide[x]=noautotune, but that didn't help.

I had the same probs and the only that helped was using the vanilla sources 2.4.18. So it must be something wrong in the gentoo-sources.

I have read the solution here in the forum somewhere :-)
I ask when this will be fixed in the gentoo-sources, because the r-7 release still does not fix that.

Thorsten
kode54
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possibility, which I have sort of confirmed, as 2.4.19-pre10 doesn't have the problem.

Also, even in pre10, the PIIX tuning support code breaks on my CDRW drive. If I boot a kernel with autotuning disabled, with ide0=dma, my primary drive is correctly set/left at UDMA2, while CDRW is set/left at DMA2. If I compile in tuning support, both are set at UDMA2, and the CDRW drive returns an error during reset, and accessing it causes the accessing program to freeze, shortly followed by total system freeze.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: