Xorg, kernel and misc questions.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaotist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Xorg, kernel and misc questions. Reply with quote

Hello. I installed gentoo 2005.1 on my Ultra 2 enterprize/dual 200/256/4,3+9,1/cgsix (TGX+). Kernel is 2.4.31. I'm just a newbie to sparcs and gentoo, so I have several questions.

1. What is maximal bitdepth/resolution for TGX+ under Xorg?

2. Is there any solutions on localization of gentoo? I'm just really want to have ability to use russian language.

3. I have emerged Xorg-6.8.2, read all treads about 2.4/xorg troubles, seen sample configs and tried to make my config for xorg. Nothing helped - I tried many combinations of configs, but best result that I achieved was a really screwed keyboard layout after "startx". Mouse isn't working at all. Kb and mouse in kernel are compiled as modules, cause if I try to compile em (keyboard) inside kernel, compilation drops with error message. So, is it possible to make xorg 6.8.2 work with kernel 2.4.31 on U2, at all? Maybe, someone have working configs, rc's, xorg&kernel ones?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english.
chaotist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for so many answers :twisted:

Now it looks like I banished all the demons from xorg, and only left ones is sound and localization. Is there any step-by-step instructions available to make cs4231 working under kde and to make gentoo speak smthn like russian? Can I use x86 fonts and settings?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGX+ is an 8 bit framebuffer, so you won't get more than 8bit color out of it. As for the maximum resolution, you'd have to look it up based on the Sun part number. Normally if you google based on the part number (probably starts with 501-, but its in the format of xxx-xxxx where x is a number) it'll pop right up.

With regards to localization, if you haven't looked at it already, try the Gentoo Linux Localization Guide.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: