ALSA scratchy sound in XMMS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sklettke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: ALSA scratchy sound in XMMS Reply with quote

I just had the strangest thing happen. I was just going to post in the forums that occasionally xmms using the arts plugin would play all music with a scratchy sound. It wasn't skipping or distorted, just a little scratchy, sort of like a clicking throughout the song. I tried adjusted the mixer settings, but the scratching would presist, just at a lower volume. Then I anticipated what the question would be: Can you play music correctly in a different audio player?

So I tried Noatun. It played clearly with no static. And when I tried xmms again, the problem had vanished. On second though, the main scratchy sound is gone, but the sound is still not as crisp as it is in Noatun, especially at higher volumes.

Any idea why this is so and how to correct the scratchy problem?

Thanks!
Scott

Kernel: 2.6.11-rc3-nitro0
KDE 3.3.2 with Xorg
MythBox: 2.6.5-gentoo-dev-r2 (LVMed 360GB in XFS; Athlon 2500+)
squiddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: xmms with alsa Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that is the problem I was having only in xmms too. For me it happened anytime PCM volume was to high (above 70). So I lowered that.
Code:
%alsamixer

Then I changed which volume was affected by winamp. If you open preferences, in the Audio I/O Plugins tab there is a section for Output plugin. If you click configure (with the ALSA library selected) you can change the Mixer device to Master.

I got my answer originally from these posts:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=29207

Hope that helps. Good Luck.
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, using net-rhythmbox or zinf was my way out.
I use zinf now because net-rhythmbox made the sound jump when moving windows/loading web pages.
sklettke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out what the problem is, but not why it is doing it or how to correct it. I noticed this when I closed my notebook's monitor with the sound playing and upon opening the monitor back up, the sound became scratchy. Then to fix the scratchy sound I just had to push the button that turns off the screen a couple of times and the sound fixes itself. It seems like it's an error with some ACPI component, since that's what I use for power management and sound (sound only works with acpi in the kernel or as a module).

Scott

Kernel: 2.6.11-rc3-nitro0
KDE 3.3.2 with Xorg
MythBox: 2.6.5-gentoo-dev-r2 (LVMed 360GB in XFS; Athlon 2500+)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: