Only getting left channel (mono) in recordings [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopherC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Only getting left channel (mono) in recordings [solved] Reply with quote

I have been trying to get sound working for mythtv and FM recordings, but I can only get (poor quality) sound in the left channel. I have an MSI K8N motherboard with an nvidia CK804 audio controller. I'm using snd_intel8x0 in the 2.6.14 gentoo kernel. I have a WinTV card with audio plugged into the Aux input. Using tvtime or gnomeradio or whatever, I can get a good live stereo audio signal mixed and out my speakers. But I can't record the audio -- at least not in stereo. I can play pack sound in stereo from other sources, so the digital playback path is not completely bad.

Actually I get no sound recorded at all if I select Aux as a recording source. I also have to select "capture" and boost its volume. I don't know if that's bad or not.

To narrow down the problems, I've used ecasound:
Code:
$ ecasound -i:alsa -o:alsa
(eca-chainsetup) 'rtlowlatency' buffering mode selected.
(audioio_alsa) Warning! Period-size differs from current client buffersize.
(eca-chainsetup) Audio object "alsa", mode "read".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
(audioio_alsa) Warning! Period-size differs from current client buffersize.
(eca-chainsetup) Audio object "alsa", mode "write".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.

I also get playback underrun warnings with this as well -- eliminated if I use the OSS interface with "-o /dev/dsp" instead. Regardless, every variation I try of this has somewhat poor-sounding audio in the left channel and nothing in the right. Live TV in mythtv gives me the same behavior.

What really makes me tearful is that I had nearly this same exact problem with an entirely different computer and different sound card! Left channel only, but in that case the volume was low as well. I was using an SB Live card then (set up much the same way but my current troubles come from a fresh Gentoo install) and I found that to get decent recordings I had to use an OSS driver. I don't think OSS supports the CK804 device though, so I can't try OSS this time. The only thing the same about these computers is that the same idiot (me) installed Gentoo on them.

I'm not sure what else to post here -- perhaps this:
Code:

/etc/modules.d/alsa:
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
##  OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1

Last edited by TopherC on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using an onboard sound card for recording might not be a good idea.

That said, as long as you get proper audio output somewhere, for example in mplayer, you should be able to record it.

Example for mplayer:

Code:
mkfifo pcm_audio
mplayer -ao pcm:file=pcm_audio whatever
(and while mplayer is running in the background, you can encode the pcm data to ogg or mp3 e.g.)
oggenc -q 3 -o pcm_audio.ogg pcm_audio

However, please notice that this way you are probably re-encoding stuff. For avi files and similar, it's better to dump the audio source / extract the audio track directly from the file.
labba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem.

Already tried to delete my asound.sate like frostschutz proposed in this thread, but that didn't help. I'm using a SoundBlaster Live! Card...
ximon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had the exact same problem, seemingly only able to record from one channel from line input. To cut a long story short I found that the settings from amixer contents for the capture source showed values of 4,0 where 4 is the line in device from the list of sources. Setting this value to 4,4 using amixer cset solved the issue. I guess that capture can be enabled for different sources on each channel but alsamixer doesn't seem to have this capability - I don't know about other mixers.

HTH.
labba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ximon!

Capture is set to 3,3 on my system... Problem still exists...
ximon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Labba,

Rats, I was hoping it would be the answer :)

I have two soundcards - one onboard the other pci and they both had the same issue. On a different box with alsa 1.0.8 there was no problem - I was about to downgrade this box. I am using the kernel drivers as modules and alsa-lib/headers/utils1.0.10 from a fresh build today. The problem still persisted with line-in capture on one channel only and then I stumbled over the amixer settings for capture source and the problem was solved.

I haven't a soundblaster card so can't help you there.

Capture source 3,3 corresponds to the input you require? and can you listen to the capture source from the sound card output?
labba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks for the tip anyway :)

Yes, the capture source is correct and sound is wonderful if I listen to it... Just when I try to record from line in, only the left channel with poor quality is recorded. I will try to upgrade alsa and the kernel, maybe that helps...
TopherC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just checking back in on this thread. I've tried ximon's solution as well, but without success.

Today I tried recording audio from the CD input of my laptop. This is an entirely different computer, but also running gentoo of course. I'm using the snd-intel8x0 driver as in my original post, but the hardware/chipset is different. Interestingly enough, I get the exact same problem! Currently I'm 0/3 using alsa drivers to record sound -- on every computer I only get the left channel. If I crank up the capture volume then I get some feedback and static in the right channel, but music only in the left channel.

Does anyone else have this problem? I can test this in several ways, including ecasound (mentioned above) or:
Code:
arecord -f dat - | aplay -

No matter what I do, I hear the left channel only. I've tried using amixer, alsamixer, alsamixergui, and kmix. These produce the same results (though alsamixergui seems unstable).
TopherC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Only getting left channel (mono) in recordings [solved] Reply with quote

I poked around some more, and finally fixed the problem!

Apparently this was a known bug in the alsa libraries, broken in 1.0.10, and was fixed in 1.0.11_rc2. I fixed it with:
Code:

# echo 'media-sound/alsa-headers ~x86' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# echo 'media-libs/alsa-lib ~x86' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# emerge -av alsa-lib

(I used ~amd64 instead of ~x86 but the alsa-lib versions are the same for both architectures as of now.)

This is bug 1658 in the alsa bug tracking system: http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1658 (you need to log in as guest first)
jbinto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Thank you for this resolution, I was about to give up with this sound card in Linux. Emerge'ing now, haven't tested it, but this sounds promising. I was certain I caused the problem (overlooking some obscurity in alsamixer perhaps).
vguy85
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that fixed my problem too. Thanks guys, you rock!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: