First try at emerge, running program gets Segmentation Fault
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmatson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: First try at emerge, running program gets Segmentation Fault Reply with quote

I have just installed Gentoo ver1.2 and tried to install vi as my first install. (Nano just doesn't do it for me.) I did the following as root:

cd /usr/portage/app-editors/vi
emerge vi-3.7.ebuild

The build appears to work fine - no error messages. But when I run vi (even without a file parameter), I immediately get:

Segmentation fault

I'm using the same Portage version that I built the system with, which was downloaded only 4-5 days ago. Should I presume that I used the wrong configuration (from "make menuconfig") when I built the system? I'm very willing to do a trial-and-error thing, but it would be cool if I could pare down the possible trials first with a little advice.

Thanks for any help,
garion911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blieve this is a semi common problem. I know i had it when I started w/ gentoo.

I ended up just doing an "emerge vim".. It does emerge a bunch of things that take time (like X), but you're probably going to do that anyways, if you haven't already.
bmatson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: RE: Segmentation Fault when running vi Reply with quote

garion911 wrote:
I blieve this is a semi common problem. I know i had it when I started w/ gentoo.

I ended up just doing an "emerge vim".. It does emerge a bunch of things that take time (like X), but you're probably going to do that anyways, if you haven't already.

I tried vim and it works fine. Thanks. I was mostly concerned that I had a larger problem (and that it was my problem, not a problem with vi), since this was my first "emerge" after installing Gentoo.

Maybe it still is a problem with my configuration in some way (and yours also?) and I would be interested to know if anybody has been able to emerge and run vi. (And if so, then why did my attempt fail?) But at least if it is a problem, it's not a killer, and I do now have a decent editor. Thanks.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's common for an ebuild to fail for you and not me or vise versa, gentoo is sort of like you own private distribution of linux therefore no two systems are identical.

Make sense?
bmatson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
It's common for an ebuild to fail for you and not me or vise versa, gentoo is sort of like you own private distribution of linux therefore no two systems are identical.

Make sense?

Yes it does make sense, thanks. At least being aware of that puts a new perspective on whether or not I've make a configuration "mistake" or not. And it sure makes me appreciate more the amount of effort that has gone into putting together existing distributions of Linux. Thanks for the insight.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be one package confilicting with another, and not something you yourself did at all.

What I always do if a package won't compile is pull the source out of distfiles and try to compile it myself, if it does then I look closely at the ebuild to figure out the problem, if it still won't compile manually I know it is something else entirely.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: