Stable Kernels gone bad
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlynx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Stable Kernels gone bad Reply with quote

I am trying to diagnose why my stable kernels have started crashing. I updated to XFree-4.3.0_r2 on Friday night (was running XFree-4.3.0), other than that, I haven't made any major changes.

The logs show a problem with an i/o request to the floppy failing (sometimes). Occasionally I can see the message from the kernel oops, other times the oops starts dumping and doesn't stop so I cannot even read the messages.

I am using Gentoo-Sources kernels. I have tried rebuilding the kernel and some of the older kernels I built that were stable.

What more can I do to try and fix this? I am a newbie when it comes to kernel level stuff so I don't know what else I can offer or do to diagnose this. I was really enjoying the stability of the Linux kernel up until this weekend, I was able to go for several weeks without a reboot, now I cannot go even two hours.
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting the same issue with kernels that had previously been working well for you that would seem to indicate a hardware problem.
mlynx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a hardware problem as well, but how would I go about diagnosing what is failing? I should also mention that this is on a laptop, basically a sealed system (no hardware changes).
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did a XFree update then thats probably where the prob statred. If your "XF86Config"
is messed up it can diffently cuse wierd probs. Do a search of the forums useing your video card , if its an nvidia or ati youll find lots of reading material. If its not one of them go and reconfig X.
luck hielvc
mlynx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyplace that I should focus on in the X server? The laptop uses a NeoMagic card (sort of, since not all the functionality is there). My XFree config file hasn't changed, but I don't know where I would start looking for problems.

Documentation for the laptop videocard has been scketchy at best, dead wrong at worst.

[update]I ran the laptop without X and still had the oops, so I think I am back to the question of how do I diagnose the hardware?[/update]
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a search here and on google "hardware trouble" or trouble shooting there have been lots of post about it. You could also dissable apm and/or acpi inyour kerenl or bios and if that helps , also if you left SMP by accident I read where can cause weird probs.

hielvc
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Maybe it's the memory Reply with quote

Maybe this is a memory error? Everything is possible...

You could try this software for memory testing:
http://www.memtest86.com/

It fits on a single floppy disk from which you have to boot. Then give it a couple of test-passes. Depending on your hardware, on pass may take up to half an hour. Be sure to make several tests...

What also came to my mind is: Maybe something got loosened in your laptop? Can you take out the floppy? Go check...

HTH
mlynx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I tracked it down. I think the soundcard has taken a dive. I grabbed a copy of tuffTest and checked all the hardware (everything came up okay).

Then I booted my KNOPPIX cd to see if there was some sort of file corruption I was missing on the HDD. Still no luck, until I tried to configure the sound card from KNOPPIX and bang system hang again! Repeat again and same problem. I disabled the soundcard completely in the BIOS (It never worked that great anyhow).

The system then ran all night, without so much as a hiccup. :D

synapscape: I did try memtest86 (it's actually better than a floppy with gentoo, because there is an ebuild for it and it installs nicely into grub or lilo).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: