Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Voodoo kernel support/recompile kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayco77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:01 am    Post subject: Voodoo kernel support/recompile kernel Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to linux, and this is my first time w/ gentoo. I enabled kernel support for my Voodoo 3 card, even though I use a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64MB AGP card. I haven't had any luck gettign drivers for the Hercules card to work but found a thread where they got it to work in Gentoo, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyways--I enabled Voodoo 3 support in case the Prophet wouldn't work--I could fall back on the Voodoo 3. The install went smoothly (the second time), but when I reboot, I get a lockup on this line on boot:

Fb: Voodoo3 memory = 16384k
tdfxfb: reserving 1024 bytes for the hwcurosor at d97ff000

Can anyone clue me in to what this means? Also, if I can't fix it, what's the easiest way to recompile the kernel so I don't have to do the 2 hr process pre-kernel compile? My first install got hosed on GRUB (my fault) and I had to start from scratch (my fault again:P)

Any help would be appreciated
jayco77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Whoops... Reply with quote

Guess I should have tried removing the second (Voodoo 3) card before I posted. I wasn't having any problems installing Mandrake or FreeBSD with both cards installed (Voodoo PCI card was disabled in the BIOS).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: