Suse ftp tree download?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Suse ftp tree download? Reply with quote

Im downloading all of the files for suse 8.0 via an ftp mirror. When Im done I dhould be able to create discs exacly like you would buy them at the store correct? I hope thats correct at least. This is for a friend and is taking up alot of space on my hard drive. Anyways thanks.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know about SuSE, but generally if you want to make CDs you would want the SuSE ISO images. (Of course, you could load Apache or something and try to get it to install over a network, but...) The package files probably won't help you because it doesn't include the installer.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Suse ftp tree download? Reply with quote

FINITE wrote:
Im downloading all of the files for suse 8.0 via an ftp mirror. When Im done I dhould be able to create discs exacly like you would buy them at the store correct? I hope thats correct at least. This is for a friend and is taking up alot of space on my hard drive. Anyways thanks.

SuSe have an installation diskette which would connect to their server and download the necessary packages. You could ask your friend to try that. If your friend has a 56k connection why not take your friends box for a day and do the installation for him?
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I got all of the files downloaded and there is a bootdisc image which can be used to start the the install. Only problem is that I do not know how to burn that iso to disc. One wierd thing is that its name is boot.iso.exe and well what the heck does that mean? I tried removing the .exe from the file name and then burning that to disc and that disc is now a nice silver coaster. Im using xcdroast for burning and am not sure where to configure it to burn iso's so that I don't just end up with the iso on the disc but the contents of the iso. Well any further help would be appreciated. Thanks.
bidz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url]jilted.org/suse.html[/url] - i put this "how-to setup suse linux 8.0 throu ftp install" up because so many people have requested it.

follow the guidelines, and your all set.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: