SS20 SMP boot problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Price
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: SS20 SMP boot problem Reply with quote

When I try to boot my SS20 with an SMP kernel I get:

SILO boot: smp
Uncompressing image...
PROMLIB: obio_ranges 5
Fixup b f01f6a88 doesn't refer to a SETHI at f0181898[40002d57]
Program Terminated
ok

This is my first playing with an SMP machine. My problem might be incompatible mbus modules (sm61 & sm71) but I wanted to ask before I run off and get another mbus module.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is? A non SMP kernel boots fine. The only difference between the two is SMP. Kernel version 2.4.20, compiled with GCC 2.95

Thanks!

Scott =)
Scott Price
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: The problem is... Reply with quote

The gentoo-sparc sources. When I build an SMP vanilla-kernel it works fine. If I build a gentoo-sparc SMP kernel it will not boot.

Strange...

Scott =)
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: ss20 boot failure Reply with quote

I havent booted my ss20 succesfully yet from my first gentoo on sparc install. Im getting the same error you have experienced, I noticed you mentioned SMP might be the problem. Im running 4 125mhz hypersparcs on a ss20. Have you made any progress?
bent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Sparc32 SMP kernels Reply with quote

Hello Scott and m4chine!
Glad I haven't been alone with these problems, and I hope I can help you. i have had the same thing on two different SS20's trying to boot an SMP kernel. This is what I did.

I booted into Mandrake 7.1 which happens to be on both of the 20's (and we're not letting go until we'ge got Gentoo well and truly running by itself). I then untarred the _vanilla_ sources there, and configured it as you do. Compiled it with Mandrakes GCC, which IIRC is 2.95.

Joy! A kernel that works on both SS20's smp! I'm not quite sure why, and I've been asking for help but haven't got too many soutions so far, but kernel compilation on Gentoo itself has always had some sorts of problems.

If you guys don't have access to another system to compile your kernels on, let me know and I might put my kernel up somewhere for you to use, otherwise, Good luck!

m4chine: 4 x 125Mhz Hypersparc eh? I wish I had at least one of those, Hypersparcs are sooo hard to get hold of here in New Zealand.
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bent:
You arent alone in your pain, ive spent the last two weeks working on getting this ss20 up and running, and every time i think i got it, something else pops up. Hopefully this is the last bug to work out, but at this time I dont have another OS on the sparc. If you could post your kernel somewhere, or contact me and i can arrage for an ftp or other means. My question is what kernel version did you get working. I tried the first time i emerged sparc-sources with 2.4.20 kernel; my understanding is that sparc-sources will use kgcc a stripped down version of gcc 2.95. but it didnt work so i moved on to the 2.2.25 kernel from kernel.org. but after bootstrapping with gcc 3.x, i couldnt use the 2.2.25 kernel because gcc 3.x wont run the older kernel and i recieve an error like "FATAL: kernel is too old". so yesterday i forced kgcc to compile the kernel.
Code:
make "HOSTCC=kgcc" dep clean vmlinux modules modules_install

so we shall see if this will kernel will boot tomorrow. ill keep you posted on my status, and again, im sure your kernel could be of use. thanks!

ps - im excited about the 4 hypersparcs, i need SMP! :twisted:
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have the same problem on an SMP SparcStation 10 (2x50MHz SuperSparcs). If I use the vanilla kernel and adjust the Makefile for kgcc, it boots.

Weeve
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve:

What adjustments need to be made in the Makefile?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm looking into now. It's possible one of the patches in -r8 is causing some borkage too. I'll let you know more as I work on it.
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those following the post, i just recompiled and forced kgcc on 2.4.20-r8 and no good. Weeve also reports the same thing. If anyone has some input, it would be appreciated.
Scott Price
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My monitor smoked so I haven't gotten back to my SS20. It worked using kgcc and a vanilla kernel. You should just be able to change:

CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc

to

CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)kgcc

in the make file and it will use kgcc.

Scott =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: