mic feedback screech /w sb live
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalsaDoom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: mic feedback screech /w sb live Reply with quote

Hello all...

My mic makes a /horrible/ sound when its plugged in. I know you have to keep the mic fairly away from your speakers, but thats not exactly the problem since it works perfectly in windows. In linux, I gotta throw the mic outta the room! Soundcard is n sb live 1024.

Anyone know how to fix a problem like that? (or why it only happens in linux, not win?)

Thanks,
--SD
diode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try checking your mixer settings... sometimes mic is auto set to record along with other things that will cause internal card feedback (which is cool if you plan on sampling it and using it to record an entire new power noise album)

i know i had a feedback problem in XP once using the KxProject low latency driver and a goofy dsp setup.

other wise... if the feedback stops or the feedback tone (sound) changes immeidately as you move the mic.. check back into the mixer setting for a mic +20 boost.

are you plugging it in directly to teh card or do are you plugging it into the live drive - which would open up a whole new can of worms
SalsaDoom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Ok... mixer settings? What should they say? Where would it be set to auto record? aumix doesn't show anything strange... except one little thing... my mic volume is controlled by the line-in bit. I wonder if that is causing the miserable feedback. Hmmm. Is it even possible to fix something like that?

I really have no idea. Anyway, the mic is just plugged into the soundcard directly, this cheap card didn't come with anything else.

--SD
SalsaDoom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: fixed. Reply with quote

Ok. I don't think anyone else had this problem ;) But, here is the solution anyway. The EMU10K1 driver that ships with the linux kernel sucks.

I switched to the one from http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1/ and the problem vanished. tada.

It apparently has a lot of features that the kernel driver doesn't too, making it more on par with the alsa driver. Apparently ;P I didn't look to far into it.

--SD
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: