Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
installing over existing system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heathkit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: installing over existing system Reply with quote

I'm wanting to install gentoo on the box that serves as a firewall/router for my apartment. I'd prefer to do it without causing downtime for my other roomates. We have sorcerer on that box now... I was wondering if I could just install portage over it. My thinking is, portage will build a system, overwritting any existing files as it goes (since they aren't in it's database) Is this correct? Anyone know what happens when you install gentoo on a 'dirty' system?
lude
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: installing over existing system Reply with quote

heathkit wrote:
I'm wanting to install gentoo on the box that serves as a firewall/router for my apartment. I'd prefer to do it without causing downtime for my other roomates. We have sorcerer on that box now... I was wondering if I could just install portage over it. My thinking is, portage will build a system, overwritting any existing files as it goes (since they aren't in it's database) Is this correct? Anyone know what happens when you install gentoo on a 'dirty' system?

I can see this being possible...However, not on my list of things to try this week.

Just back everything up, and give it a go, with a backup you've got nothing to lose!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: