X question for Blade users
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: X question for Blade users Reply with quote

Heya everybody,

For those Sun Blade users experiencing problems with X, can you do the following,

1) Post which version of X-4.3.0 you are using
2) Try building xfree-4.3.0-r2 and see if that helps

Thanks!
nadmaximus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Can do... Reply with quote

I am using 4.3.0-r1, and having the video mode problem described in the other threads.

I am emerging 4.3.0-r2 now and will update.

UPDATE:

I emerged 4.3.0-r2, merged the config files, and created a fresh XF86Config file using XFree86 -configure. It has the same behaviour...it seems to choose horizSync and vert refresh roughly twice what it should.

For example, my monitor's info is as follows:

HorizSync 30-121
VertRefresh 48-160

FYI the monitor info page: http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Monitor/MONITOR_Color_21_Prem_Flat_CRT.html

When I try to fire it up at various res, this is what the monitor reports:

(above 1024x768 it will report no usable config)
1024x768: 141.9kHz/176Hz
800x600: 110.9kHz/176Hz
640x480: 177.6kHz/176Hz

It is ok with me to keep my Sunblade in a non-working state as far as Xfree goes, if there is a need to test things on this platform.

-price
twfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: X question for Blade users Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
Heya everybody,

For those Sun Blade users experiencing problems with X, can you do the following,

1) Post which version of X-4.3.0 you are using
2) Try building xfree-4.3.0-r2 and see if that helps

Thanks!

Same problem for me. 4.2 worked fine, but both 4.3.0-r1 and r2 exhibit the horiz/vert refresh problems. I tried using 'Option "NoDDC"' under the Device section of the config file without luck.
reesm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: same problem... Reply with quote

I'd like to report the exact same problem as nadmaximus and twfox. I have a sunblade 100 with a GDM-5410 monitor (30-121khz horiz, 48-160hz vert.).
I'm using Xfree 4.3-r2, the latest from gentoo
I have never tried Xfree 4.2 on before, since this is my first go at trying linux on a sun box. However, to make 1024x768 work at 75 Hz, like the monitor specs say it can go, I had to copy the probed modeline from /var/log/XFree86.0.log and change the pixel clock freq. to 78.7 MHz, like Sun's website lists as the spec clock freq. for the monitor. After doing this, I was finally able to start X and used xvidtune to get a near-perfect modeline for this res.

Just as nadmaximus mentions, practically all modes above 1024x768 were rejected by the X server with a commend saying, for ex,
Code:
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)

What the heck does this mean? I *know* the monitor can support higher than this, as my frame buffer console that I boot up with runs on 1280x1027 @ 80.7 KHz horiz. and 76 Hz vert. (press the monitor OSD button to get these specs).

I also attempted to hard-code that resolution into my XF86Config (i.e. specify exactly those numbers) but X still rejected that mode with the above "bad mode" error in the X log.

I thought DDC (i.e. monitor plug n' pray) would help autodetect the monitors settings so I added the following line to my XF86Config:
Code:
Load     "ddc"
but that did not help at all. The module loads, but does not solve the problem.

Hope this will help somebody find out exactly what's going on. 8) 8) 8)
mrgalihad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, same stuff here. I'm still using 4.2.1-r2 on my SB-100. I can only get 640x480 resolution out of mine, once I define anything higher, and try to force it, I get a no valid display error.
lanfaedhe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, but I'm having this problem and haven't seen a resolution anywhere.

To recap:

I have a Sun Blade 100, and a GDM-5410 monitor.
I emerged xorg-x11 version 6.7.0
I ran X -configure

I started X, and my resolution was terrible. I added HorizSync and VertRefresh to the monitor section using the values on Sun's website (nadmaximus posted the link).

I then get "out of range" errors on my monitor when I try to start X.

If I lower the sync and refresh rates in the monitor section (say, to 30-50 and 48-60) I can get better resolution, but this doesn't seem like a great fix.

Does anyone have a -good- configuration file for a GDM-5410 monitor?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you google for the model number, you should get the correct values. The monitor is actually a re-branded Sony.

Also check out this link in the Gentoo SPARC FAQ about the "reference_clock" option if you haven't already set it.
lanfaedhe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reference clock was EXACTLY it, thanks Weeve!
IronWolve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: reference clock Reply with quote

Could the developers maybe change the default X install script to include the reference clock option? If its needed on all sunblades, why not include it as default?

Seems to be the most popular problem on X on sunblade. I know I had it happen to me, and I couldnt find the answer via search, and wasnt in the FAQ. (It is in the FAQ now)

Just an idea.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: