View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vodkin40
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that using google would be the best solution. I started to look through this thread: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=32328&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=search+improvement&start=0 and it looks like it can be done without spending too much time or effort.
tbg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs to me that one way to improve the forum search function would be to eliminate it. I believe if there were no search function, people would read the FAQs and existing threads before concluding that their issue is new.

I'm not sure I'm completely serious about this suggestion, but I wanted to follow this thread, and the only way I know to reliably find something in these forums is to search by author.
vodkin40
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) Yea, down with the search! Down with Google!

On the serious note: from the thread I pointed to, it seems that removing SSID from the URL (so Google can index the whole site) is pretty simple and straightforward. How about giving it a try?

Search within a thread would be really useful addition, but to my big surprise it seems noboddy implemented it yet. I saw several MOD requests on phpBB forums, all without replies.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vodkin40 wrote:
:) Yea, down with the search! Down with Google!

On the serious note: from the thread I pointed to, it seems that removing SSID from the URL (so Google can index the whole site) is pretty simple and straightforward. How about giving it a try?

Search within a thread would be really useful addition, but to my big surprise it seems noboddy implemented it yet. I saw several MOD requests on phpBB forums, all without replies.

We already implemented things like this. We know of that problem. We are working on it. We are working on several other problems too.
Please be patient. It's not the end of the world.
tbg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does searching on the word

source

yield no results?

Is the word source never used anywhere in these forums?

If I search for the word sources I get lots of hits, but not the word source
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stopword list was recently updated, and it now contains 'source'. Basically, it's used too much on these forums. :wink:
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Search ignores titles? Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
perry wrote:
Does quick search ignore message titles?
As far as I know, yes. This is particularly annoying when you know the title of a thread and not where it is located. I'm hopeful that this is a feature to be implemented in future versions of phpBB.

How many times do I see moderator replies like this.

Gentoo forums are the backbone of this distribution, you choose to use phpBB because (apart from the pathetic search facilities) it is a good BB and BECAUSE IT IS FREE.

So how about putting back in or developing a few add-ons for your own use here?

I see lots of "only if it's mainstream phpBB" as well. Come-on there are some good MODs available that are approved by phpBB that would at least ease the pain.

PLEASE get a bit more flexible on this.

consider how much the forum is getting bloated because we dont have an effective search tool and ask the same things over and over again.

I've got so frustrated with the forum search that I have spent the day installing apache mod_php etc with a view of installing phpBB (is it really not in portage?!) just so I can see if I can do something about it.

This effort has been hampered by the very lack of decent search and in passing I have started to see the "official line" on doing something about it.

I am wondering if I am not completly wasting my time !

If I do manage to code something that improves the search (possibly apporved on phpBB) would you even want to use it?

That's a serious question.

Is it worth anyone spending any time trying to come up with a better search? or is this something you simply dont want to do?

Should I PM someone about this before I go any further into it?

Regards.
8)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Search ignores titles? Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
How many times do I see moderator replies like this. [...] So how about putting back in or developing a few add-ons for your own use here?
In my case, ability is the issue, and in most other cases, time is the issue.

Gentree wrote:
I see lots of "only if it's mainstream phpBB" as well. Come-on there are some good MODs available that are approved by phpBB that would at least ease the pain.
I don't think anyone has criticized quality of phpbb MODs. The reason they aren't used is due to increased time and effort it takes to migrate from existing versions of phpbb to newer versions (when they are rleased). The more MODs that exist, the greater potential for the process to be arduous. No matter how many times we post this, people seem to ignore it. Or pay attention to it.

Gentree wrote:
PLEASE get a bit more flexible on this.
It isn't a lack of flexibility as much as it is a lack of time.

Gentree wrote:
consider how much the forum is getting bloated because we dont have an effective search tool and ask the same things over and over again.
That doesn't prevent you from reading threads that you post in. Such as ian!'s last post in this thread. There is another thread addressing the google search feature. There are more issues than just coming up with the code.

Gentree wrote:
I've got so frustrated with the forum search that I have spent the day installing apache mod_php etc with a view of installing phpBB (is it really not in portage?!) just so I can see if I can do something about it.
Its unfortunate that you were/are frustrated, but great that it inspired you to 'do something.' If you are good with code, and phpbb in particular (and probably MySQL), help would be welcomed. Understand that the search code we are using isn't the default search of phpbb (which may not be obvious, but is evident by reading rac's related posts to this forum).

Gentree wrote:
This effort has been hampered by the very lack of decent search and in passing I have started to see the "official line" on doing something about it.
I'm not certain what that meant. Your effort to improve search, has been hampered by the current abilities of the forums search?

Gentree wrote:
I am wondering if I am not completly wasting my time !
If you are trying to help without first asking how, then yes, it is probably a waste of time, since you won't have the same search code.

Gentree wrote:
If I do manage to code something that improves the search (possibly apporved on phpBB) would you even want to use it?

That's a serious question.
I'll poke rac, and have him reply regarding how he would like to deal with offers of help.

Gentree wrote:
Is it worth anyone spending any time trying to come up with a better search? or is this something you simply dont want to do?
The answer isn't simple. "It depends" is probably the best answer.

Gentree wrote:
Should I PM someone about this before I go any further into it?
I wouldn't do too much work, but lets see how rac responds first.
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo forum search sucks Reply with quote

madpenguin8 wrote:
Anyone else think that the gentoo forum search sucks.

Yes I do.

First of all every normal search SHOULD show me what I have searched!
Not only show me the results. Because I can do other thing in that time
and very easy to forget what exactly I searched for.
Also If I see the results this feature could provide me to correct my
search query.

Also I see naturally if Quick search would search in current topic not
thrue the all forums. That is what I really missing.
continue of this concept coud be search in searched results if
I see too much results.

So forum search is not much better then Gentoo itself.

P.S. I have don't spoke about string search "word1 word2",
but there are people which done it before.

So, guys look after google and you will be also great.

It can be strange, but most of helpfull threads here I have found
with help of Google, not this search!

So, my advice for users is. If you really want to find here
something use Google, not this strange search engine.
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Search ignores titles? Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

Gentree wrote:
I don't think anyone has criticized quality of phpbb MODs. The reason they aren't used is due to increased time and effort it takes to migrate from existing versions of phpbb to newer versions (when they are rleased). The more MODs that exist, the greater potential for the process to be arduous. No matter how many times we post this, people seem to ignore it. Or pay attention to it.

I always upgrade these heavily modded phpBB forums via EasyMOD and I really have to say that it´s an easy way most of the time. Even if it occasionally fails, it gives you exact hints on what failed so that you can fix it manually. It also has a preview mode which only displays the file changes which it would perform. 8)
kopte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

to bring it up again i think albanard is right with h** requests.

And in addition to that

Code:

http://forums.gentoo.org/search.php?search_id=unanswered&search_keyword=my+favorite+topic

is not working like i would expect it.

I think search is a very essential to our forum and so i will offer my help.

EDIT: Ok, i now know phpBB is the way to go.
petlab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the search still sucks.
Sure, there are a million REASONS why, but learning those reasons only helps one understand WHY it sucks. It still sucks.
logost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant even find this months desktops thread
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logost wrote:
i cant even find this months desktops thread

That's because of this. Announcement here.
penguinlnx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is directly connected to this thread, but here goes:

On Linux Questions, (which seems to be a very similarly setup board & same software) I usually click on the 'User CP',
then go to the bottom of their page, and change the 'last day' to 'last 10 days' (go) to pick up all the threads I have been participating in.

On Gentoo, I can't do that, so I have to fake it with a search for 'penguinlnx' (me). At this time I don't know what is reallly better,
but the Linux Questions board is easy to fine tune by selecting the 'days'.

Is there something similar here that isn't so obviously placed?
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One version is hidden on the first page (top right corner) and a second one is located in a place where few men have gone before: search.php :D
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Is there a better forums on Gentoo elsewhere. Reply with quote

mod edit: merged the following posts.
amne

Searching "libstdc++.so.5" ends up searching only for "libstdc"

Search results are irrelevants, people don't answer anymore, in short, These forums are now useless.

So, pardon me for being blunt, but I wish someone starts a new forums site about Gentoo, and manage it well afterward.

I admit that sometime I troll baiths, but this is a genuine complaint, and a equaly genuine wish. Finding help of others mistakes is of crucial importance with Gentoo, but Gentoo does little to ensure either everything goes smooth, or that problems are easely solved.

So, I now find it more and more of an hassles to maintain Gentoo, between roaming between gazillions of sites (irc, newslists, forums, blah blah, ... list goes on) and go back to what I was doing before... use Slack and resolv dependencies by hand as I go along. I have never felt so insecure than now since I dropped from Windows 2 years ago.
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a better search tool e.g. google with
Quote:
site:forums.gentoo.org libstdc++.so.5

Mvh
c.graves
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, using the google syntax is invaluable. Not just for the forums, but for any web resource with a sucky search tool. Use it all the time since I found out about it.

highly recommend it.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cintra wrote:
There's a better search tool e.g. google with
Quote:
site:forums.gentoo.org libstdc++.so.5

Mvh
I did not know the forum was now scanable by Google. I thought I've read a while back that this was impossible due to the dynamic nature of php and a bulletin board.

I will now search with Google, but it should be publicized more (unless I'm blind). For instance, a nice Google box in which to we type our search terms instead of this "sucky" (me like) native search.

Thanks a lot guys. This is the most valuable informations I ever got back from a rant :D
BWoso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why when I search for "mysql.phpbb_sessions_keys" does it change to mysql and just mysql and nothing related comes up, and it's not just this string but a bunch, like every time I do a search. I hate search on this peice.

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.
-Mark Twain-
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWoso wrote:
Why when I search for "mysql.phpbb_sessions_keys" does it change to mysql and just mysql and nothing related comes up, and it's not just this string but a bunch, like every time I do a search. I hate search on this peice.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-194398-highlight-search.html#194398

Added url tags so phpBB actually turns that into a link. --Maedhros
thaadleukje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BWoso wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-194398-highlight-search.html#194398

Added url tags so phpBB actually turns that into a link. --Maedhros

So, is phpbb the best thing out there for web-based forums?
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWoso wrote:
Why when I search for "mysql.phpbb_sessions_keys" does it change to mysql and just mysql

Doesn't happen for me. Searching for "mysql.phpbb_sessions_keys" will effectively search for "mysql phpbbsessionskeys", as expected, and you'll find this thread.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thaadleukje wrote:
So, is phpbb the best thing out there for web-based forums?
I think it's mostly a matter of opinion. There was a discussion quite some time ago (in this forum IIRC) about switching to other software. It was decided against at the time. The option remains, but would have to be for a really compelling reason.

Search is being worked on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: