glibc compatibility
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheJabberwokk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: glibc compatibility Reply with quote

I there any way to run proprietary programs that were designed for older glibc? or to have two versions of glibc on one system?
ferringb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: glibc compatibility Reply with quote

TheJabberwokk wrote:
I there any way to run proprietary programs that were designed for older glibc? or to have two versions of glibc on one system?

First I'd be curious what app you're trying to run? Also, what libc is the old binary, and what is the new one?

Yes, you can get old bin's going. It all depends on how the bin was linked, versions of libc involved, etc. You may very well be able to get by just by adding the old libs the binary uses, but you'd need to be careful. What follows ain't a good solution if you're unable to get by just adding the old libs. I figured this out at work with filemaker server- it was compiled against 2.2.4 (IIRC), and the rh7.3 system it runs on is 2.2.5.

First off, for simple bins, you can actually write a libc wrapper that basically maps the binary's old libc calls to the new libc, but if that bin forks/exec's you will have problems. I don't think there is a way to propagate LD_PRELOAD through forks/execs, aside from possibly mapping/overriding the fork/exec commands. Basically if it uses fork/exec's (daemons), time for a different attempt.

The other alternative, which I don't like too much but it works is you grab from the old libc, ld-linux and whatever libs the binary needs (gotten via ldd). From there, you can either create a true jailroot for the prog/daemon, or you can dump the libs to some directory that isn't likely to be touched by any program.
I prefer the later for simplicity- from there (assuming you have all the needed libs), you can do this (note, $path = path to the dir the old libs are stored in):

/$path/ld-linux.so --library-path $path --inhibit-rpath /lib $binary

This will get it up and running- this is basically the setup I use for filemaker. Added, while you have the annoyance of multiple glibcs loaded, it (in my experience) quite stable- no problems with it, aside from filemaker being a crappy program/daemon.

Either way, it's nasty and not exactly elegant- if its work related I'd badger them into upgrading it, or contact the company for a new binary (if possible... probably pie in the sky.)
TheJabberwokk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: SOFTIMAGE for linux Reply with quote

I downloaded SoftImage XSI from www.softimage.com/exp. On the SoftImage discussion forum http://forum.softimage.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=208 They think that it may be a glibc thing.
ferringb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: SOFTIMAGE for linux Reply with quote

TheJabberwokk wrote:
I downloaded SoftImage XSI from www.softimage.com/exp. On the SoftImage discussion forum http://forum.softimage.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=208 They think that it may be a glibc thing.

The issue with SIGRTMIN I don't know much about- the developers of XSI would have to weigh in on it.
The comment about XSI being compiled to run w/ glibc 2.2 (opposed to gentoo's 2.3 default) makes me doubt it's just SIGRTMIN being whacky though...

One question I should've asked in hindsight, what does the binary output/do when it attempts to loads up?
TheJabberwokk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: output Reply with quote

output

Quote:
$ tcsh
Softimage/XSI-EXP_3.0> source .xsi_EXP_3.0
Softimage/XSI-EXP_3.0> xsi
Softimage/XSI-EXP_3.0>
ferringb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to strace it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: