Kernel Config Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Kernel Config Questions Reply with quote

I already have a running system, but I would like to start playing around with multiple kernels, and I have a few questions regarding the Gentoo_Sources.
What is Low Latency Scheudualing? Do I want it. Under Processor Type and Featurs, what is USer address space size. I have 1 gig ram, do I want to enable High Mem support. What is the Preemtible Kernel? And do I want to COntrol Low Latency with sysctl? Sorry to ask but there was no help for these options in Menuconfig? Also what is GREsecurity, and what would be a good setting for a desktop. What is the Crypto API? Should I enable it? And does the Gentoo kernel have SUPERMOUNT installed in it.? Sorry if is this a lame post and thank you for any answers.
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kernel Config Questions Reply with quote

static_void wrote:
I already have a running system, but I would like to start playing around with multiple kernels, and I have a few questions regarding the Gentoo_Sources.
What is Low Latency Scheudualing? Do I want it. Under Processor Type and Featurs, what is USer address space size. I have 1 gig ram, do I want to enable High Mem support. What is the Preemtible Kernel? And do I want to COntrol Low Latency with sysctl? Sorry to ask but there was no help for these options in Menuconfig? Also what is GREsecurity, and what would be a good setting for a desktop. What is the Crypto API? Should I enable it? And does the Gentoo kernel have SUPERMOUNT installed in it.? Sorry if is this a lame post and thank you for any answers.
gresec is a security patch to the kernel, it explains fairly good what it is in the help..
i use it, it is good for you :)
but dont turn everything on, something wont run then, i can give you my part of the gresec-conf, but right now i am not at home...
preemtible kernel also explains in the help.. it is said to be good, but for me it is not. low latency is also not good (for me)
but try it out.. it has something to do with the shelduler..
high mem thing is if you want your linux to handle i think more than or just 64GB or ram?
you dont need that.
userspace is the place in the memory where programs are executed, it is useful if you have more than 3GB... then you may allow your programs to use more mem..

Get lost before you get shot.
michaelb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preemptible kernels and low latency scheduling have to do with how CPUs run code. In a nutshell, OSs these days are multi-process, but CPUs are not. Your CPU can only run one command at a time. So it will grab a chunk of commands to run, work through them, and then set them aside while it grabs another chunk. The 'downtime' while the process blocks are being swapped is called latency. Enabling those two options on a modern architecture should result in an overall performance increase.

Michael
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: use the built in help Reply with quote

Using the built in help in (xconfig or menuconfig) will tell you alot about a kernel option. In menuconfig highlight the item and press <shift>+<?>, in xconfig press the "help" button (if i remember correctly). Also google the items and read about them, gentoo is all about learning linux.

xcable
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my recommendations for gentoo-sources.

1) Low latency scheduling - Yes
2) Control low latency with sysctl - Yes
3) Preemptible kernel support - Yes
4) Supermount removable media support - No
5) High mem support - Yes with setting of 4GB if you have 1GB RAM.
6) GRSecurity - No
7) Crypto - No

1, 2 and 3 are fundamental performance enhancing features and will be available in 2.6 kernel by default and as such should be adopted. 4 results in cd automounting which is unnecessary in my opinion and causes more problems than conveniences. 5 is necessary if you have 1GB of ram with a setting of 4GB. 6 and 7 are unnecessary unless you are running in a production environment, require additional security and know explicitly what you are doing. HTH.
rajl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kernel config question of my own. What is the new lzlib library support offered in teh 2.4.20 kernel, and what does it do/why would I want or not want it? I checked the help in the menuconfig, but it just said, no help available at this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------
It's easy to be brave once you consider the alternatives.
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zlib seems to be quite prevalent in the system and I have included it in kernel simply to provide support for it.

http://www.gzip.org/zlib/
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narada wrote:
Here are my recommendations for gentoo-sources.

1) Low latency scheduling - Yes
2) Control low latency with sysctl - Yes

Be aware that if you include "Control low latency with sysctl" then low latency won't be enabled by default. To enable it you would have to do a
Code:

echo "1" > /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency

at some point.

I recommend leaving sysctl out so that you get lowlat enabled by default.
razamatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can easily add
Code:
kernel.lowlatency = 1

in /etc/sysctl.conf

going the sysctl route will help for ppl experiencing problems and wanna revert to a non-lowlatency setup... saves them a kernel compilation! :)

Regor wrote:

Be aware that if you include "Control low latency with sysctl" then low latency won't be enabled by default. To enable it you would have to do a
Code:

echo "1" > /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency

at some point.

I recommend leaving sysctl out so that you get lowlat enabled by default.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: