OpenMosix Gentoo install cd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: OpenMosix Gentoo install cd Reply with quote

Is there a way to replace the kernel on the install cd with an OpenMosix kernel?

I ask since I find OpenMosix a heck of a lot easier than screwing around with distcc. (side note- It would be nice if the Documentation section had a tried and true distcc how to for use during installation. Some say one thing, other find something else... I just want the tham ding to work.)
Blahbbs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of problems were you having with distcc? I was messing with it this weekend, and once the distccd was emerged and started on all the machines, it seems all I had to do was set MAKEOPTS, FEATURES, AND DISTCC_HOSTS in make.conf and it was off and running during the emerges.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distcc all the way

Distcc is so much more efficient than openmosix when it comes to compiling speed. And it is easier to setup than openmosix, imho.
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DistCC may be more efficient, but I have never been able to get it to work.

My reasons for wanting an OpenMosix kernel on the install CD are the following:

1) OpenMosix simply requires the kernel and the omdiscd daemon in order to function completely on its own. There are no files to edit, etc.

2) I do not have another running Linux box. I do have 2 other boxes, my main Windows XP and a no-OS box.

3) I have found the PlumpOS diskless OpenMosix node boot CD that only requires a master node be available.

Please do not pursue the Distcc vs OpenMosix discussion since I have already heard and seen the wonders of others' experiences with it. I simply have not been able to get it to work.

I only am trying another solution for my situation, not touting it as better, more efficient, etc. Thanks...
Blahbbs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're looking for a way to boot a "helper" machine from a CD when you need to do some distributed compiling? My apologies if I misunderstand you.

I know it might be taboo to mention it, but I'm pretty sure the Knoppix distro has distcc on it. http://www.knoppix.de
I'll have to check that. That would be a quick and easy way to boot a fully-functional linux machine with distcc with no fuss. I haven't needed to do it yet, but I understand that some people boot the Knoppix CD then proceed to install Gentoo. That way, you've got a pretty useful system running while Gentoo is building in its own chrooted environment, but I digress.

Just a thought.
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am looking for a way to "crack open" the 1.4 rc4 iso and drop in an OpenMosix kernel to replace or add to the one(s) already on the image.
Blahbbs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I wanted to chime in to say that I confirmed that the Knoppix 3.2 CD does have distccd on it. I've got a long emerge going on one of my machines at the moment, so I booted Knoppix on another machine, ran distccd, and once I got hostnames straightened out, it all started working. Sweet. 8)
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to create your own livecd then
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" emerge livecd-ng

it is the scripts used to create th live cd. I emerge it last night to look at and it has several kernel configs to choose from. You should be able to substitute an opemmosix kernel as well as add any other programs you want up to the capacity of the cd.

Brian
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: