portage in arm architectures
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: portage in arm architectures Reply with quote

there is a huge problem in arm...(not only because the arm mainter is gone)
there is a lack of packadges...
and we(including me of course) may want to use all the packadges avaliable only for X86,ppc,sparc...
so is there a program that can eneable the use aff all theses programs?

and so we(a lot of person belonging to the comunity of users) become users and testers(for people who have the time to feedback at the bugreport) at the same time(does not mean that it validate an ebuild but...there is a arm bug-report

(yes of course it's an "exprrimental" not up-to date arm v4l architecture(don't want to use the evrytime contested because inpresize term unsuported)
=>this part may seems uncomprensible so don't read it
it is adressed to people who always debate about the fact that arm is suported or not because arm IS in the bugreport but is absent for documentation and experimental for files,stages...

and so arm and others architectures (ppc,sparc) can get more "avaliable trough testing" packadges(excluding x86-binairies packadges (as unreal tournament,ati closed-source drivers...) and letting people use some packadge that contain x86 code(means that there is some code in asembler and that a lot of part of the code is designed to be run on x86:there is also the memory manadgement,the endianss that can pose problems in certan cases) but inform them about it(a job for the comunity and the bugreport) (so comunity developers can fix it rapidely :for example one want this packadge even if there is some x86 code in it and trying to run it he fixes some code and end it to the gentoo developers or the comunity)

another way (for processor specific code) to avoid the hard task of porting the program (need some programation skils) is using diferent sources as debian sources for their packadges (may epect more os problem but less arm problems) =>need also a modified portage to be able to use theses packadges that are not marked for arm (need also to chane easy things as md5sum...but this is easyer)

i'm sory for my "very fast" english (i had not a lot of time when i typed this post but...i founded this question very interesting and a lot usefull(for me) and i think also for others
i'll try it when i'll get portage working
(some problems with emerge --sync i'll post something if i can't resolve it but actualy i have a lot of things to try before posting)
for my defense there is also the fact that i'm writing this post on a 320x240 screen!!!(lol)(no there is no KDE/Gnome but qtopia for now...until i succed to port gentoo on it...i'm working of it)

Last edited by GNUtoo on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely incomprehensible, I'm afraid. Perhaps you could try to find someone with a better grasp of English to translate for you? Looks like the language barrier's going to be a real problem...
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, get cracking then... ;-)

Start testing packages which are currently not marked ~arm. If you find one, and it works fine on a StrongARM system (i.e. you've tested every function of the program), then file an enhancement request for arm at gentoo dot org on Bugzilla, asking them to mark the package ~arm.

Likewise for MIPS users -- find a package that needs ~mips -- try it out, then tell us about it. ;-)

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
triplah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone with a vague grasp of english would be able to understand what he is saying, i smell deb attitude :)

new_to_non_X86 - i'd reccomend trying out the code, it IS possible with portage, just use the x86 keyword to get the packages, fiddle, play with the source... report on how successful you are on bugs.gentoo.org. If you have the time, then please do it!

perhaps next time check a few words through babelfish or something ;)
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

triplah wrote:
anyone with a vague grasp of english would be able to understand what he is saying, i smell deb attitude :)

Lol - with respect, I don't see how saying "Sorry, I can't understand you" could be seen as evidence of an attitude problem, especially since you went on to recommend the use of Babelfish yourself. I just thought it'd be better to point out the potential difficulty in comprehension as opposed to the post simply going unanswered; the poster might then wrongly assume the problem to be that nobody cared enough to reply. Pease don't let your bias against Debian users cloud your judgement. :-)
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have also anohter problem:
i have a arm v4l (an arm architecture i don't know anything about it,but just that i've got it (cat /proc/...))
so there 2 stage 3 that i can run:
-the standard arm one
it's a lot outdated (mabe 2004.? if my memory is good)
-the arm v4l one
2005.1 as a suported architecture...wow...BUT... there is no coresponding profile in /usr/portage/profiles/
so...
-is the profile somwhere is the stage3 files
-what can i do in order to solve this problem(use,modify another profile...)

ps:i have a 2.4 kernel lol...(i'll change kernel later because i think using 2.4 modules in a 2.6 kernel will need a lot of work to achieve this)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: