Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo makes local news
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
extraketchup
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Posts: 29
Location: Maine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Gentoo makes local news Reply with quote

Howdy folks,

This may seem like a "shameless plug", but I thought you might be interested in seeing a piece our local CBS news affiliate did on our school's recent switch to Gentoo Linux (I'm the network administrator they interviewed). Forgive my awkwardness in front of the camera :oops: . You can download the video clip by going to http://www.ghca.com, currently the news story is our top "headline" on our homepage.

If anyone would like to provide a mirror (the video is a small 5MB mpeg 4), feel free (less stress on our server), just list the link below.

Let me know what you think!

Mike

ps - knowing I'd be representing Gentoo to the general populous, I stayed away from a lot of "technical jargon" - keep that in mind as you watch the interview. :wink:

mod edit:
Added links to the mirrors to this post so people can see them immedeately without scrolling down:

Ogg Theora - high quality (15.6MB)
http://download.iansview.com/mirror/ghca.com/news-high.ogg
http://lordbob.no-ip.org/video/news-high.ogg
http://www.lovesunix.net/gentoo-high.ogg
http://e101.no-ip.org/mirror/news-high.ogg
http://q-collective.org/funstuff/news-high.ogg
http://www.thecodergeek.com/downloads/gentoo_in_the_news_high.ogg

Ogg Theora - low quality (5.3MB)
http://download.iansview.com/mirror/ghca.com/news-low.ogg
http://lordbob.no-ip.org/video/news-low.ogg
http://www.lovesunix.net/gentoo.ogg
http://e101.no-ip.org/mirror/news-low.ogg
http://q-collective.org/funstuff/news-low.ogg

DivX - Low quality (4.9MB)
http://www.dakjos.de/files/wagm-gentoo-low.mpg
http://download.iansview.com/mirror/ghca.com/wagm-gentoo-low.mpg
http://www.beejaysworld.de/static/wagm-gentoo-low.mpg
http://lordbob.no-ip.org/video/wagm-gentoo-low.mpg
http://e101.no-ip.org/mirror/wagm-gentoo-low.mpg

amne, ian!, codergeek42

_________________
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dakjo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 1544

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrored in germany: www.dakjos.de/files/wagm-gentoo-low.mpg
High Quality Link: http://www.dakjos.de/files/wagm-gentoo.mpg
_________________
'Dieselben Naturkräfte, die uns ermöglichen, zu den Sternen zu fliegen, versetzen uns auch in die Lage, unseren Stern zu vernichten.' - Wernher von Braun
http://www.mpsna.de


Last edited by dakjo on Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 17 Nov 2002
Posts: 6377
Location: Graz / EU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a nice report!
_________________
Dinosaur week! (Ok, this thread is so last week)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidy
l33t
l33t


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 915

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you did an _amazing_ job! Really explained everything well.
Now if only the news reader would pronounce Gentoo correctly... :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Posts: 3827
Location: Essen, Germany

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! :D

Mirror: http://download.iansview.com/mirror/ghca.com/wagm-gentoo-low.mpg
_________________
"To have a successful open source project, you need to be at least somewhat successful at getting along with people." -- Daniel Robbins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wietze
n00b
n00b


Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagnabbit!

That was nicely explained :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 2159
Location: Toledo, OH, USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful interview. I like how you kept it all in laymans terms so everyone would understand what you were talking about. Hooray for Gentoo in the classroom!
_________________
Please read the Forum Guidelines.
* | www.gayroughnecks.com | *
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone reencode the file in Ogg Theora format in support for freedom in the classroom as well?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidy
l33t
l33t


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 915

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tell me the commands, np. Allways happy to help the fully free people!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dakjo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 1544

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@extraketchup: Is the Video available in higher quality?
_________________
'Dieselben Naturkräfte, die uns ermöglichen, zu den Sternen zu fliegen, versetzen uns auch in die Lage, unseren Stern zu vernichten.' - Wernher von Braun
http://www.mpsna.de
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordMyth wrote:
If you tell me the commands, np. Allways happy to help the fully free people!


Ah well, I decided to install gst-ffmpeg (and using an rpm it took only seconds)

http://www.lovesunix.net/gentoo.ogg (5.3 megs) - reencoded in Ogg Theora and Ogg Vorbis using gstreamer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
airstreamliving
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 25
Location: Abbeville, Louisiana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious...

The video file has the MPG extension, yet the article says it is encoded in DivX, which is AVI.

Care to clarify?

Bang-on great interview though!
_________________
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/airstreamliving/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
extraketchup
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Posts: 29
Location: Maine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: DivX vs MPEG Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious...

The video file has the MPG extension, yet the article says it is encoded in DivX, which is AVI.

Care to clarify?



When I encoded the video, I used the ffmpeg encoder set to mpeg4. I thus assumed I was using a "generic" mpeg4 codec. When I went to view this in Windows (since most our audience does use Windows), it did not work. I went to download the mpeg4 codec, and the site redirected me to the DivX codec website.

So, confession time - I'm no expert in DivX. My understanding is it uses the mpeg4 format, but also includes some proprietary DRM-like mechanisms. I assumed mpeg4 uses mpg extension. Am I wrong? Please educate me :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lghman
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Nov 2002
Posts: 548
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freaking sweet!! Good stuff man!

--sonik
_________________
"What a distressing contrast there is between the radiant intelligence of a child and the feeble mentality of the average adult" --Freud
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DivX vs MPEG Reply with quote

extraketchup wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious...

The video file has the MPG extension, yet the article says it is encoded in DivX, which is AVI.

Care to clarify?



When I encoded the video, I used the ffmpeg encoder set to mpeg4. I thus assumed I was using a "generic" mpeg4 codec. When I went to view this in Windows (since most our audience does use Windows), it did not work. I went to download the mpeg4 codec, and the site redirected me to the DivX codec website.

So, confession time - I'm no expert in DivX. My understanding is it uses the mpeg4 format, but also includes some proprietary DRM-like mechanisms. I assumed mpeg4 uses mpg extension. Am I wrong? Please educate me :D


Yes, please advocate the use of open and free formats not ones that requires a license (which is the case for all mpeg4 derived formats)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nixnut
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 10973
Location: the dutch mountains

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
LordMyth wrote:
If you tell me the commands, np. Allways happy to help the fully free people!


Ah well, I decided to install gst-ffmpeg (and using an rpm it took only seconds)

http://www.lovesunix.net/gentoo.ogg (5.3 megs) - reencoded in Ogg Theora and Ogg Vorbis using gstreamer.

Thanks, the mpg didn't quite work for me, the ogg did a lot better.

Nice interview btw.
_________________
Please add [solved] to the initial post's subject line if you feel your problem is resolved. Help answer the unanswered

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
extraketchup
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Posts: 29
Location: Maine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Free Formats Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, please advocate the use of open and free formats not ones that requires a license (which is the case for all mpeg4 derived formats)

Okay, let me ask you this - will the ogg format work in Windows Media Player? Is the codec easy to obtain and install? Understand that almost 100% of our website viewers use Windows, so I have to accommodate the typical Windows user (which can be a pain, believe me). So, give me more than "please advocate free formats" - give me the details :wink:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Formats Reply with quote

extraketchup wrote:
Quote:
Yes, please advocate the use of open and free formats not ones that requires a license (which is the case for all mpeg4 derived formats)

Okay, let me ask you this - will the ogg format work in Windows Media Player? Is the codec easy to obtain and install? Understand that almost 100% of our website viewers use Windows, so I have to accommodate the typical Windows user (which can be a pain, believe me). So, give me more than "please advocate free formats" - give me the details :wink:


Yes, http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/oggcodecs_0.69.8924.exe - that will add directshow support for ALL xiph formats (Theora, Vorbis, Speex and FLAC) - convincing Microsoft to support an open format out of the box.. is a tad harder.

that took 5 secs.. any other things stopping you from enabling others the use of free formats, I'd be happy to help?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
airstreamliving
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 25
Location: Abbeville, Louisiana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Formats Reply with quote

extraketchup wrote:
Quote:
Yes, please advocate the use of open and free formats not ones that requires a license (which is the case for all mpeg4 derived formats)

Okay, let me ask you this - will the ogg format work in Windows Media Player? Is the codec easy to obtain and install? Understand that almost 100% of our website viewers use Windows, so I have to accommodate the typical Windows user (which can be a pain, believe me). So, give me more than "please advocate free formats" - give me the details :wink:


I "almost" say to encode in two formats - WMV (for Windows users) and RM (RealMedia) for pretty much everyone.

Both are proprietary formats, but you'll provide for the widest possible audience without forcing people to go nuts trying to find the right codec to download.

Personally, I'm all about DivX and XviD (OGG just never caught on), but working in a Windows world, there's a lot of people who just assume it will work under Windows Media Player and if not, they shrug and move along thinking the video file is corrupt if it doesn't play.
_________________
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/airstreamliving/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
allucid
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 02 Nov 2002
Posts: 1314
Location: atlanta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the video and you did a good job of explaining things.

I wouldn't worry so much about the video format. No matter what format you use someone will be asking for a different format. Most video players in linux can play everything under the sun so being mindful to what Windows users can view made sense (to me anyways). In the future if you want to appease everyone you could encode it in a format that is easily accesible to Windows users and then encode it again in a completely open format for the FOSS advocates. But that would be twice the work. ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 2586
Location: Dutch enclave in Egham, UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Formats Reply with quote

airstreamliving wrote:
(OGG just never caught on)
Seeing as ogg is not yet that old, and theora even less old, that should be ogg has not yet caught on. Actually for the relatively short lifespan of these formats it seems to be catching on quite well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
I enjoyed the video and you did a good job of explaining things.

I wouldn't worry so much about the video format. No matter what format you use someone will be asking for a different format. Most video players in linux can play everything under the sun so being mindful to what Windows users can view made sense (to me anyways). In the future if you want to appease everyone you could encode it in a format that is easily accesible to Windows users and then encode it again in a completely open format for the FOSS advocates. But that would be twice the work. ;)


It's not so much about me wanting to only use Ogg Theora, for many things it's not a good codec - but it's the only one I can LEGALLY use, advocating a workaround rather than explaining the problem and why it is the way it is - and what advantages the open formats do provide, seems insane to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
airstreamliving
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 25
Location: Abbeville, Louisiana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Formats Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
airstreamliving wrote:
(OGG just never caught on)
Seeing as ogg is not yet that old, and theora even less old, that should be ogg has not yet caught on. Actually for the relatively short lifespan of these formats it seems to be catching on quite well


Ogg Vorbis has been around for quite a while. Was once a very strong contender against MP3 if I'm not mistaken and failed miserably during the popularity contest a few years back even though it is a very good format. That is what I meant when I said it never caught on.
_________________
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/airstreamliving/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
allucid
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 02 Nov 2002
Posts: 1314
Location: atlanta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
allucid wrote:
I enjoyed the video and you did a good job of explaining things.

I wouldn't worry so much about the video format. No matter what format you use someone will be asking for a different format. Most video players in linux can play everything under the sun so being mindful to what Windows users can view made sense (to me anyways). In the future if you want to appease everyone you could encode it in a format that is easily accesible to Windows users and then encode it again in a completely open format for the FOSS advocates. But that would be twice the work. ;)


It's not so much about me wanting to only use Ogg Theora, for many things it's not a good codec - but it's the only one I can LEGALLY use, advocating a workaround rather than explaining the problem and why it is the way it is - and what advantages the open formats do provide, seems insane to me.

Point taken, I was making a general comment not specifically directed at you. I am curious, though, as to what legal problems you have. Does it have to do with your country or perhaps some laws I am unaware of here in the US?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
playfool wrote:
allucid wrote:
I enjoyed the video and you did a good job of explaining things.

I wouldn't worry so much about the video format. No matter what format you use someone will be asking for a different format. Most video players in linux can play everything under the sun so being mindful to what Windows users can view made sense (to me anyways). In the future if you want to appease everyone you could encode it in a format that is easily accesible to Windows users and then encode it again in a completely open format for the FOSS advocates. But that would be twice the work. ;)


It's not so much about me wanting to only use Ogg Theora, for many things it's not a good codec - but it's the only one I can LEGALLY use, advocating a workaround rather than explaining the problem and why it is the way it is - and what advantages the open formats do provide, seems insane to me.

Point taken, I was making a general comment not specifically directed at you. I am curious, though, as to what legal problems you have. Does it have to do with your country or perhaps some laws I am unaware of here in the US?


For DiVX (and other MPEG4 derived formats as the beloved XViD) the issue is quite clear - it's patented technology and as such requires a for-pay license. And the problem really isn't my country I don't have software patents and the DMCA, I can probably legally _get away: with using open implementations of patented formats.. the problem is your country.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum