Can't find /etc/inittab
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paladin21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Can't find /etc/inittab Reply with quote

For various reasons, I have my /etc mounted on a seperate partition from the root. When I try to boot up into Gentoo, I get a "Can't find /etc/inittab" error and it asks me for the run level. I have searched aoround in this forum and a few others, but haven't found anything that I believe applies to my situation. Is there some way (via GRUB perhaps?) to make the /etc partition mount first so that when root mounts it will pick up the scripts? Could I symlink something on root to the /etc partition? I am not sure how to approach this problem. Sorry to sound so lost, but I am at work, and when I get home I will not have internet access, so I need to figure out a plan of attack ASAP. Thanks for any help.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't find /etc/inittab Reply with quote

Paladin21 wrote:
Is there some way (via GRUB perhaps?) to make the /etc partition mount first so that when root mounts it will pick up the scripts?

man fstab.

Quote:
The order of records in fstab is important because fsck(8), mount(8), and umount(8) sequentially iterate through fstab doing their thing.

--kurt
Paladin21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I already tried that. The /etc partition mounting is the second line in the fstab file (right after /boot but before /). To clarify my problem, GRUB is loading the / directory fine. The problem is, the / will not pull /etc off of a different partition (apparently). It can't see /etc/fstab or /etc/inittab, it is just the inittab that craps out first. I need some way to have the / (md0) call and mount /etc from a different partition (hde2) so that it can then read /etc/fstab and /etc/inittab. I thought perhaps I might symlink something to the /etc/fstab so that it would pick up and mount everything else, but am unsure how to go about this. Any suggestions?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one option might be to:

Code:
# cp /etc/inittab /etc/fstab /
# umount /etc
# mv inittab fstab etc/

This way, they show up in the /etc directory on the root partition, so they will be available until /etc gets mounted.
Paladin21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the rc.init file executed before or after it tries to find /etc/fstab and /etc/inittab? If it is, I guess I could do something like:

<code>
mkdir /etc
mount /dev/hde2 /etc
</code>

And then just leave mounting /etc out of the fstab file (since it would already be mounted). Can I do that? Or would it need to be done somwhere other than in rc.init? Could I make a shell script of it and pass it through GRUB somehow? Again, thanks for the help, I really have to get things ironed out so I will know what to try when I get home to my semi-functional gentoo box. (i.e. I can boot from CD and manually start everything, just not let it post up by itself).
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't dug around in Gentoo's startup scripts, but best of luck. ;)
ialtywu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong in this, but I believe that /etc has to be part of the root partition and not on it's own, the system doesn't know what to do with itself without /etc, and without it mounted it can't mount other filesystems or do much of anything else for that matter.

What is your reason for wanting /etc as a separate partition?
Paladin21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to put the whole system (other than /boot and the swap) on one big software RAID array. I hit a problem with the RAID not being able to start because the /etc/raidtab file was ON the raid array. Sort of a chicken-and-egg thing, I suppose. I wanted to mount the RAID drives to have access to the system, but needed access to the system to get the file to mount the RAID. If /etc has to be on root, is there any way to get the RAID array to build at startup so that it is mountable?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. :D

Off the top of my head, you could use an initrd to do the necessary things with the RAID array and hand off control to the rest of the startup scripts. There are, of course, other ways of doing this... oh, hey, someone was doing this with firewire disks in the PPC forum.
ialtywu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin21 wrote:
I was trying to put the whole system (other than /boot and the swap) on one big software RAID array. I hit a problem with the RAID not being able to start because the /etc/raidtab file was ON the raid array. Sort of a chicken-and-egg thing, I suppose. I wanted to mount the RAID drives to have access to the system, but needed access to the system to get the file to mount the RAID. If /etc has to be on root, is there any way to get the RAID array to build at startup so that it is mountable?

I did this once with RedHat, except that I had even RAID'd my swap. Of course RedHat took care of this automatically for me so I guess I can't help with that. I think you should still fold your /etc into your root partition and go from there.

Except for redundancy I don't think that you would gain much by RAIDing your whole system, especially with Software RAID. Software RAID imposes some memory overhead on your system, and every partition you RAID will increase the load narrow the margin of performance gain. Besides, once your system is up and running many of of your system files see very little regular activity. If you are using RAID 5 then save it for the partitions which would see alot of read/write disk activity e.g. /var, /home. This, of course, depends on what you are using your system for.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: