View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i've tried a few more things with the i810 chipset, and i've run into some interesting problems.

using dohko's recommended kernel settings i was able to get nice performance from the i810 chipset. i retained the VideoRam 16384 setting in Xorg.conf, and i was even able to get FB support working for GenSplash at bootup. :wink:

unfortunately, as soon as i tried to incorporate another video module, like vesafb/vesafb-tng or matrox mga using <*> or <M>, the i810 FB support vanished completely. AARGH!!!

at this point i wonder if i will ever get a dual head setup working wtih the OptiPlex's native chipset. I'm beginning to think that the only palatable solution is to throw a pair of Matrox PCI cards in the expansion bus and use them with the VESA drivers, leaving out support for the i810 altogether.

EDIT: typos

Last edited by Bob P on Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Intel Terminates e-Mail Support for i810 Reply with quote

Just saw this on the Intel website: Intel plans to discontinue interactive support for the i810 (aka 82810) chipset on 12/31/04. link

Anyone owning a PC with one of these chipsets knows that its a real B*I*T*C*H to get it working with Linux. If you need to get e-mail support, get it while you still can.

Links:
End of Support Notice
82810 Graphics Controller Page
SPY_jmr1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Intel Terminates e-Mail Support for i810 Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
Just saw this on the Intel website: Intel plans to discontinue interactive support for the i810 (aka 82810) chipset on 12/31/04. link

Anyone owning a PC with one of these chipsets knows that its a real B*I*T*C*H to get it working with Linux. If you need to get e-mail support, get it while you still can.

Links:
End of Support Notice
82810 Graphics Controller Page

hrm.

/me considers posible reasearch into transporting the 810's display to a better system... x2x?

/me wishes the nxserver-free ebuilds worked properly, grr.

:D
NiklasH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try loading the modules sis and sis_agp. That did it for me.
Although I only had trouble getting dri to work. But maybe it helps for you guys too?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i decided to dig a little deeper into the i810 chipset problem, and i found some interesting information at the intel website.

1. Intentional Disabling of Hi-Res Video Modes in Windows and Availability in Linux. even though 1600x1200x16 is a VESA video mode that's do-able with 4 MB of video memory, the i810 chipset won't do it in Windows. this has always struck me as odd -- why would intel intentionally disable a standard vesa mode in their chipset? i had always considered it to be an intentional disabling of the chipset by the Wintel monopoly to force you to buy more expensive hardware if you want to do highres video with big displays. greedy bastards.

the good news? even though this video mode is explicitly disabled in windows, you can do it in Linux, but the high res video modes in Linux are a little compilcated to set up and a bit of tweaking is required.

as i had mentioned earlier, when using the default/maximum kernel command line parameter of "vram:4", the high res video modes don't work right under Xorg. at resolutions above 1280x1024 in the current version of Xorg and KDE 3.3.x, for example, the backgrounds on all windows and menus are rendered 100% transparent.

another user pointed out that you can tweak the i810 chipset into working properly by issuing an option videoram command in xorg.conf with a value of 16384. this seemed a bit counterintuitive, given that the chipset driver explicitly states that supports a maximum of 4 mb of system memory dedicated to video memory. it turns out that the driver documentation may not be correct.

i found a white paper on the intel website entitled "Intel 810 and 815 Chipset Family Dynamic Video Memory Technology." buried in that document is a statement that the chipset can address additional memory beyond the 4 mb of memory dedicated to the display cache if you're using the PV 4.x drivers. in Windows 2000 the maximum value can increase to 10-12 mb, which may explain why the other user's recommendation of 16MB resulted in a functional system. unfortunately, there was no reference to Linux in this document, so I had to do some experimenting.

i tested values of 4 MB, 8MB and 16MB. the 4 and 8 MB settings would not correct the transparent background problem, though the 16 MB setting would. based on the documentation of addressability of up to 12 MB in windows, additional testing of values between 8 MB and 16 MB may be worthy of pursuit.

Score: +1 for the 810 under Linux.

2. Framebuffer support and GenSplash. I was able to get framebuffer support working with the i810 chipset to enable those cool GenSplash boot and terminal graphics... although i was never able to get the bootsplash graphics to work in an entirely error-free way with the i810.

I was able to enable framebuffers/bootsplash with both the matrox cards without any problems whatsoever. i was able to get bootsplash to work in a buggy sort of way while running the i810 as the solitary video chipset. i was also able to enable bootsplash to work on the matrox cards with the i810 drivers installed. but i was NEVER able to get bootsplash to work on the i810 chipset with another video card and driver (any type) present in the machine and kernel.

Score: -1 for i810 under Linux

3. Incompatability with other video cards, and inoperability of Dual-Head X Servers. I'm a multi-head display kind of guy. At times I've had as many as three 21-inch displays on my Linux box running them all at 1600x1200 resolution at 16 or 24 bit depths. although I've been able to do this with just about any combination of cards, i've had absolutely no luck with the i810 chipset. no matter what arrangement of cards i have tried, i could never get Xorg to boot if the i810 chipset was included in a multihead setup. although i could get all of the other cards to work fine together while running multihead, and although i could get the i810 to work well in X by itself, the mere addition of the i810 chipset to any multihead configuration i worked with resulted in Xorg lockups at boot -- 100% of the time.

Score: -1 for the i810 under Linux.

so what's the final score? -1.

my conclusions after 55 days of testing and tweaking the i810 chipset is that the i810 is a piece of garbage. it has no video memory of its own, and it forces you to sacrifice system ram for video. this was a design consideration based on cheap produciton, not performance. in addition, the 810 chipset is difficult to configure to work properly in X. witness the scores of i810/Xorg threads if you have any doubts. finally, the i810 chipset is a showstopper if you want to do any sort of a multihead setup.

personally, my recommendations are that you disable your i810 chipset to the fullest extent possible and use a high quality video card in its place. don't waste your time like i did. the 810 chipset just isn't worth it.
TheCat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how to tell to Xorg to use i915 kernel module? Xorg want i810 kernel module...
I get:
Code:
[drm] failed to load kernel module "i810"

lsmod:
Code:
Module                  Size  Used by
intel_agp              19484  1
i915                   78020  0
agpgart                28360  2 intel_agp
red5standingby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: The bad news on i810... Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I'm up in the air on whether or not Linux makes a distinction between i810 and i815, but I have a laptop so I couldn't disable 815 if I wanted to. In the Xorg readme files it says that I can just let Xorgconfig do most of the work, and then install agpgart.o myself.

But, in my kernel, it says
---

Next to the part where I should be able to put an "M" do get that module.
Either way, I'm still stuck at 640x480.
"I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." -John 17:23.
sram
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiling i915 as a module worked for me...i dont know why but it did...my motherboard is intel845gvad2, still i had built i810 & i915 driver in kernel..but it was not working earlier(it certainly shd not, as i810 must be driver) and as a module everything is fine till now:)
Thanx
mhoskins
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: viao R505JL : XOrg leaving 1" boarder Reply with quote

I'm very grateful to the group that has been driving this thread. It has helped a great deal. You guys rock. I'm stuck on what must be a detail that I have misunderstood or overlooked.

I have a Viao R505JL. I'm running the 2.6.11.4 vanilla-sources. The results of attempting to follow the thread have left me with these modules:

Code:

Module                   Size  Used by
intel_mch_agp       8464   0
pcmcia                21004   0
pcmcia_core        45496   1  pcmcia
i810fb                 30336   0
vgastate               9728   1  i810fb
e100                   33408   0

When I startx or gdm, the screen comes up absolutle clean, but it has about a 1" black boarder around the entire edge. When I added the VideoRAM 16k option, the mouse functions perfectly. But I can not go past that. I'm guessing that is the limit for the controller.

I get an error:

Code:

(EE) I810: Failed to load module "dri" (once-only module, 0)

when I start up X via startx.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:

Section "Device"
      Identifier        "Card0"
      Driver            "i810"
      Option            "NoAccel"         "True"  (has been false in testing)
      Option            "DRI"               "True"
      VendorName   "Intel Corp."
      BoardName     "82815 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"
      VideoRAM        16384
      #BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

I used the "Screen" section from a post in this thread verbatum that included "DefaultDepth 24".

.config kernel settings
Code:

CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH=m

CONFIG_FB_I810=m
# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set

CONFIG_DRM_I915=m

Any important settings that are missing will gladly be provided.

I used to get an apggart.o module, but somewhere along the way it morphed to intel-mch-agp - it loads without an problem, but doesn't connect to any other modules and seems to have no affect at all.

I am a server-type. I don't work with desktop things like XOrg a lot. I just use them. Some things that might be obvious to a desktop-type might be missed on me, so patience is appreciated. I would be happy to trade server answers if they are needed! I'm also typing these code sections manually. If something is incorrect, say so - but it might be a typo.

This machine is for my wife. She is not a techincal person at all, but has learned to be almost as annoyed with MS as I am. So when she asked for a Gentoo system, I jumped at the chance. I'd really like to make this work for her.

I hope this all gets distilled into a how-to by the people doing all this hard work. You folks deserve a little press for all the hard work.
cgmd
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P concludes...
Quote:
personally, my recommendations are that you disable your i810 chipset to the fullest extent possible and use a high quality video card in its place. don't waste your time like i did. the 810 chipset just isn't worth it.

My question is... If one is to disable the i810 chipset, what is a good high quality video card to consider for use in a gentoo-linux box??

Any strong opinions on this???

Thanks!
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems (for the first time) with my i810 chipset. I had to disable the VESA and i810 frame buffer and use only the VGA16 frame buffer. The i810 dri/agp modules worked correctly. I also had to disable i2c support. These options used to work for me prior to 2.6.11-gentoo-r9. With these new settings I seem to be getting the same behaviour as with my old settings. I haven't noticed a slow down or any other errors. glx works perfectly.

xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Option     "DRI"        "True"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "i810"
        VideoRam        "32000"
EndSection

Kernel options:
Code:
#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
# CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CIRRUS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ASILIANT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VESA_STD is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VESA_TNG is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON_OLD is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_KYRO is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FONTS=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
# CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_ACORN_8x8 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_MINI_4x6 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22 is not set

CONFIG_AGP=m
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_ATI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD64 is not set
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON is not set
CONFIG_DRM=m
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
CONFIG_DRM_I810=m
# CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I915 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_MWAVE is not set
# CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER is not set
CONFIG_HPET=y
CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ=y
CONFIG_HPET_MMAP=y
# CONFIG_HANGCHECK_TIMER is not set

paramthegreat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: similar problem - temp solution found Reply with quote

i have been having similar problems on my dell laptop with i810 chipset. everytime i tried using dri, i woiuld get a small 1 inch square block on my screen and the system would freeze. the only way to get out was to reboot.

after some testing i found that if u add the following line to device section for ur card, the problem goes away
Code:
Option "SWCursor" "True"

altough i did not c any improvement in performance, atleast the screen works
hkg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: hardened or not? Reply with quote

does anybody know what is the glue between the $MODULES/extension/libdri.so and the $MODULES/dri/i810_dri.so??? every symbol which appears undefined, could be found in the i810_dri.so file. how the dri knows which shared object to use?
PS++ PE++ Y? PGP t- 5? X+ R* tv--- b++>+++ DI- D-- G? e+++ h r% y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
nlogax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Success with i810 and 2nd video card Reply with quote

Folks, I managed to get this working!!!

:D \o/ etc

...by changing my BIOS so that the Intel 815 was enabled and my 2nd card (ATI Rage XL) was disabled. It wouldn't let me have both enabled simealtaneously, unfortunately. However, in spite of it being disabled in the BIOS, both cards are working so I've got a desktop spanning my ATI Rage XL & my i810 (just like I had on Windows)

I am using Ubuntu Breezy Badger but I don't think that has too much bearing - I think with the right BIOS setup it should be possible to get any i810 working in dual-head. Anyway, here's my xorg.conf:

Quote:
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following commands:
#
# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.custom
# sudo sh -c 'md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf >/var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.md5sum'
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/CID"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
# paths to defoma fonts
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "GLcore"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "type1"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Rage Pro XL"
Driver "ati"
BusID "PCI:2:10:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "i815"
Driver "i810"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
VideoRAM 16384
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "LM-500"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-60
VertRefresh 60-75
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Philips 151AX"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-60
VertRefresh 60-75
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "AOC"
Device "ATI Rage Pro XL"
Monitor "LM-500"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Philips"
Device "i815"
Monitor "Philips 151AX"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "AOC" 0 0
Screen 1 "Philips" RightOf "AOC"
Option "Xinerama" "On"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection
frawd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any success in having TV-out working with the 82810 chip?

The XFree "MonitorLayout" option is not supported for chips 810 and 815 i believe (only from 830, cf man i810). I read above that some could use the kernel drm i915 driver with 810 chip, I will try that, but if someone in the mean time has any hints to try tricking X and make it spit out on TV output, it would be nice

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: