INIT: Id "c0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UPsBass
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: INIT: Id "c0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 Reply with quote

I'm installing Gentoo 2005 with kernel 2.4.30 using sparc sources on an Ultra 10 and I keep getting this message that pops up. INIT: Id "c0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes. Is there any other pieces of info about my machine that you might need to know to solve this problem?? sorry kinda new to sparc computers..
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens when a program is started from /etc/inittab with the "restart when it dies" specifier, but it dies right away, so after a while init stops trying to restart it and prints that warning in order to avoid hogging all resources.
Open /etc/inittab in a text editor (nano will do fine) and look for the line that starts with that ID (or grep for that ID in /etc/inittab, same thing). That will give more clues.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
nl0pvm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i commented out the lines (with putting # in front of that line) that started with
c1
c2
c3
c4
c5
c6
That should do the trick

My machine is running headless anyway so it doesnt need that tty's
UPsBass
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried whatnl0pvm said and I don't know if it worked because my computer would crash at boot. It would stop at starting locales...then die. So here's what I got...

id:3:initdefault:

si::sysinit:/sbin/rc sysinit

rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot

l10:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
l1:s1:wait:/sbin/rc single
l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
l3:3:wait:/sbin/ rc default
l4:4:wait:/sbin/rc default
l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
l6:6:wait:/sbin/rc reboot
#z6:6:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

c0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0 vt100

c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
c2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
c3:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
c4:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
c5:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
c6:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -r now

x:a:once:/etc/x11/startDM.sh

Any ideas????
Magic Michael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPsBass, did you solve that boot crash problem ? I have the same respawning messages with my headless UltraAXi board and modified my /etc/inittab like that:
#c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
#c2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
#c3:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
#c4:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
#c5:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
#c6:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

I don't want my computer to die while booting ... I won't be home for a while to fix it ...

Thanks
Michael
Magic Michael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was brave and tried it with a reboot ... and it worked ! Additionally I had to
rc-update del consolefont default
rc-update del keymaps default

and now I got rid of these annoying respawning messages.
UPsBass
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: solution Reply with quote

I found that if I rem out the C0 line that the error message goes away. It said on the line above it in the /etc/inittab that it was for a serial console. I don't use any of the serial ports so I figured this would be alright. No problems yet, at least none caused by this......Now if only I could X running with my Elite 3D.
shaveman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: chown worked for me Reply with quote

I was having this same issue on a regular pentium-4 setup. I have had this problem on several install attempts on this SOYO motherboard, but nowhere else. Some odd things that may or may not be a factor include needing to pass the nolvm2 argument when booting off the livecd, installing partially from the destination pc, and partially from ssh, encountering several errors while emerging the system ( all of which were successfully worked out), I also noticed that while trying to boot, there were a lot of permission problems and everything was read-only. I'm not sure what causes this problem but after no luck with the other directions I found in the forums, I booted from the livecd, mounted root (/mnt/gentoo), and then simply set root as the owner: chown root:root /mnt/gentoo/* This seemed to have solved all my problems, please post if this a bad idea, or if causes worse problems for you.
Emphii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On HP-UX, you might get same kind of error - Command is respawning too rapidly... -
if you haven't set network addresses (this is not in every case), solution is to plug network
cable and set addresses.

Maybe you should doublecheck the cable/link.
dskennedy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem on my Ultra 5 and was toying with the idea of starting a new thread, but the above solution (commenting out the line in inittab for the serial console) worked perfectly. It's now booted into 2.4.30 (with security modifications) and seems to run fine. :)

Thanks guys!
shaveman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

after repeatedly getting this error, and enough searching: I was adding user to my root options in /etc/fstab. This for some reason makes the root read only, removing the user option fixed all my problems.
MiniMoose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This error is caused by not having the keyboard connected to your sparc. It seems like the popular solutions are to either comment out the lines in the inittab or to change "respawn" to "once" so that if you happen to have to keyboard connected, you'll be able to log in and change the inittab to "respawn" before continuing; but if the keyboard is not connected, agetty will fail once on each tty and then init moves on instead of locking up.
Sanderfox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the serial console lines are already commented out, but I still get the error sometimes.

Code:
# TERMINALS
c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

# SERIAL CONSOLES
#s0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0 vt100
#s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS1 vt100

Should I comment c1 - c6 out ?
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
after repeatedly getting this error, and enough searching: I was adding user to my root options in /etc/fstab. This for some reason makes the root read only, removing the user option fixed all my problems.

Indeed! Thanks, I don't think I ever would have looked there...
baldeante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem right after
Code:
emerge --depclean

It removed my devfsd package without i see it ..... re-emerging the package solve my problem.
ultrafive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: initial install hangs due to respawn Reply with quote

I've searched all the gentoo forums and I acknowledge the inittab fix.

However, I am unable to perform the initial install due to the "respawning" hang.

I have tried 2006.1 (universal, minimal), and 2005.1. All of these install CDs, hang on the first boot. Numerous reboots have changed nothing.

Quote:

* Starting local ... [ ok ]

INIT: Id "c1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minuteÕѕÍ

How can I apply the /etc/inittab fix if I can't install Gentoo in the first place?

The machine is a headless Ultra5.

As a point of reference, I successfully installed Solaris 10 on this hardware.
baldeante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about my ignorance but what is a "headless Ultra5" ??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

And when you say the CD hangs on first boot is after bootstrap + system or right at the beginning before you even got to the prompt ??
ultrafive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: headless = no keyboard or monitor Reply with quote

I'm installing from the serial console.

[blasphemy]
I got impatient and installed FreeBSD in the meantime.
[/blasphemy]

thanks
baldeante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serial console ??? Can't you access to the computer it self ???

I never did a cosole install so i won't be able to help you there .... :( :(

Does headless Ultra5 represents something about serial console then ???
nl0pvm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@baldeante

First of all please only post information that is useful for the person that posted the question otherwise this forum stacks up with all kinds of related questions and ultimately the person with the question never get his/her answer. As you do not have experience with a headless installation posting notes about the fact dat you don't know does not help.

Secondly as you have noticed this question is posted in the gentoo on sparc forum this means that this forum is intended for people that have sparc related questions. Anyone that has got atleast some experience with sparc servers know what the followin terms mean:
- ultra 5
- headless

If you don't know use the magic word: http://www.google.com

Specially for you the links to some explaining pages:

googled on: "ultra 5" first result: http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U5/U5.html
googled on "headless server" first result: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/9655/9655.html

Please first search for at least 1 minute using google before posting offtopic questions.

May I warn you for the fact that to some people it can appear like that you are just posting to ultimately get your posting rating up.

my humble apologies to all other forum users for my (another) offtopic message
SPARCstation 10 MP 2 x 390Z55@40Mhz 512MB RAM Kernel 2.4.30 4GB & 9GB
baldeante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nl0pvm wrote:
@baldeante

First of all please only post information that is useful for the person that posted the question otherwise this forum stacks up with all kinds of related questions and ultimately the person with the question never get his/her answer. As you do not have experience with a headless installation posting notes about the fact dat you don't know does not help.

Secondly as you have noticed this question is posted in the gentoo on sparc forum this means that this forum is intended for people that have sparc related questions. Anyone that has got atleast some experience with sparc servers know what the followin terms mean:
- ultra 5
- headless

If you don't know use the magic word: http://www.google.com

Specially for you the links to some explaining pages:

googled on: "ultra 5" first result: http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U5/U5.html
googled on "headless server" first result: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/9655/9655.html

Please first search for at least 1 minute using google before posting offtopic questions.

First of all i'm sorry if i'am posting not useful information but i didn't notest i was doin't it, second i did search at Google but i did use a term a little more specific i used "headless Ultra5" with quotes witch didn't give me no special information (at least for me) only and yes i see the one reference to sparc and driver witch i assume the hardware could be used in any other platform like x86 or other maybe i'm wrong over here them again you are right i only have x86 experience but them again a driver problem is common to any platform.

nl0pvm wrote:

May I warn you for the fact that to some people it can appear like that you are just posting to ultimately get your posting rating up.

About posting to get the post rate up i see no use for that, i won't learn anything with it nor will the person i'm trying to help, if you have admin access on this site you can put if to negative if you wish i don't really mind.

About posting a little to much some times i may even do that when i'm looking for some solution for my problems i keep track of the threats i read witch have the same problem at the end if i got the solution o usually return to those threads and live the solution i find or a link, this will in my opinion make further searches about that problem faster.

Sorry any trouble ....
w.hill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running an Ultra 5 - with keyboard, monitor and mouse attached. I've been getting similar irritating messages for over a month now - I've just been on three weeks leave.

INIT: Id "s0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.

After a while I can no longer login at the console, on the Ultra 5 itself. Nor can I log in via ssh. My only recourse is to switch of the machine and restart it.

I'll try the suggested tips and see what happens.
w.hill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commented out the offending line and the problem has gone away. It'd be interesting to know what changed in the first place that caused the problem. I've been applying updates but not make other configuration changes.
appetitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w.hill wrote:
I commented out the offending line and the problem has gone away. It'd be interesting to know what changed in the first place that caused the problem. I've been applying updates but not make other configuration changes.

etc-update overwrote the /etc/inittab file. That usually requires your assistance. Not running etc-update after a big emerge is bad, but there is no reason to blindly accept it's suggestions. There is an option to skip any files you have changed, which helps.

There is no need to reboot after editing /etc/inittab, this is not Winblows.

>kill -HUP 1

(as root, just like editing inittab)
Being a Gentoo user means living in a house inhabited by a family of crazed carpenters. When you wake up, the house is different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved, or perhaps someone has removed the floor under your bed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: