Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GNUstep on Gentoo: how many of us are there?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, the 'icky' squares have to do with WindowMaker, not GNUstep. It just so happens that WindowMaker modeled after NEXTStep and OPENStep (as is GNUstep).

If you really want to understand the eloquence of GNUstep, take a look at this flash demonstration at http://www.gnustep.org/experience/DevelopmentDemonstration.html

After you've seen the demo, then decide again about GNUstep. GNUsteppers are always (almost always, sometimes they sleep, drink, go to class ...) available on irc.freenode.net #gnustep.

Boomer

P.S. Yes, there have be a few ... comments ... about the look of GNUstep/WindowMaker. A new look is in development. You can see previews at http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/ui/concepts/ and http://www.roard.com/screenshots/ , specifically http://www.roard.com/screenshots/screenshot_theme44.png .

Finally, a beta-version of a bootable CD for i386 is available at livecd.gnustep.org.
pafein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Gnome menus? Reply with quote

I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I've searched & can't find anything... I'll refrain from ranting about phpBB.

How does one convert the Gnome menu items in /usr/share/applications to work with Windowmaker? I know there's a script to do this for KDE, but I can't find anything for Gnome (and the link on the windowmaker.org site is long dead). Any thoughts before I roll my own?
necrose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Windowmaker WOES objc not compiled Reply with quote

gnustep-make

I'm new to gentoo

but as far as libffi and gcc 3.4.4 were not compiling with objc or gcj
but with 20 or so compiles make.conf >>> gcc-g77 (fortran) etc found this will enable options not normaly anabled.

objc has be cuasing me some other troubles

for other libs

They should make gnustep-----CVS-stable--ebuilds on that'd I'd agree

having trouble emerging some gnustep pkgs.

but since 3.4.4 is broke on athlon-xp i686 I shoved 4.0.0 and multiple use statmente prior to emerge.

objc build in new gcc also had to unmerge old gcc's first since 3.3.5 or 3.4.4 were tyring to be prime gcc

just a tip

Windowmaker and after step is my favorite desktop other than kde or gnome or enlightenment
aftersteps not bad

KDE and Gnome are nice but when you need to use X11 utils ; and run X-term Compiles GNU step desktops like WM or After steep isnt as bad of a resource hit

also a troublsome but worthwile tip Riping switchdesk rpms to Gentoo
also you can use rpm -i to get package deps for switchdesk rpm2targz to convert sources / and or bins
mk $filenamedir for temp and extract , copy what you need to were you will. and just locate the deps perl/lib?? and the py libs glic.so.numbers ignore this is just standaard system libs you likely have if not locate pkg and emerge
and it'll get and run

this is hady when you wish to theive from redhats nice tools with out the RPM sux (After 5 years on DeadHat )
and Packages as old as The Pharos Mumies (RPM should read RSPM halff the time REALY STALE PM)

I like some of RH tools ; but using tar balls at times can be hazdious to system :-( even though you may realy need that pkg always a chance it has a LIB and it will overight an old one and sytem wont boot up again without recuing it etc.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fafhrd,

Good work! GNUstep isn't ready for my heavy duty use. Lack of apps, and GWorkspace doesn't make a good DE yet; Windowmaker is ugly so I just let GWorkspace draw the desktop. Some wrapping facility for 3rd party apps would be nice.

Nevertheless, I was curious to see GNUstep, and the ebuilds worked well.

A few questions from a *step n00b:

* How do I turn off the floating context menu that pops up whenever a GNUstep app is in focus? I only want them when I right click on an app.

* When I want to use a GNUstep app under an environment without a Clip (e.g. GNOME), how do I turn off the icon thing?

* Is there a Clip-type app to accumulate icons other than the one that comes with Windowmaker?
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that GNUStep looked great, so I decided to emerge it. And yes I followed some threads in this forum :wink:
Anyway, when I log in to my X system nothing seems to have change, still same old WMaker, is it supposed to be this way? I've got this in my ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Place applications to be executed when WindowMaker is started here.
# This should only be used for non-X applications or applications that
# do not support session management. Other applications should be restarted
# by the WindowMaker session restoring mechanism. For that, you should
# either set SaveSessionOnExit=YES or select "Save Session" in the Workspace
# submenu of the root menu when all applications you want started are
# running.
#
# WindowMaker will wait until this script finishes, so if you run any
# commands that take long to execute (like a xterm), put a ``&'' in the
# end of the command line.
#
# This file must be executable.
#
xset m 20/10 4

. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools/gpbs

make_services

numlockx &
xscreensaver -no-splash &

just as I read in another thread.
And my .xinitrc looks like this:
Code:

exec /usr/bin/wmaker
I've also added gnustep to the startup,
Code:
/etc/init.d/gnustep start

the first time, and then added it with:
Code:

rc-update add gnustep default

not sure if this is needed since the startupscript seems to do the similar?

If I try openapp GWorkspace, I get:
Code:

geniux @ valinor geniux % openapp GWorkspace
-bash: openapp: command not found

I've never tried GNUStep before so any help here are greatly appreciated

TIA
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geniux:

GNUstep.sh needs to be sourced by a program that itself launches other programs: i.e., bash or X. If you want to affect the X environment, you need to edit your .xinitrc to contain
Code:
. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

.. you might want to launch 'gpbs' at this point to.

After that, once X starts, any xterm should be able to find the 'openapp' command, since your paths will be set up correctly.

To test, or as a "worst case", you can source GNUstep.sh from any terminal, and then immediately see if openapp is available. That would only chaged the environment for that one terminal session/shell, however.
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I get this:
Code:

geniux @ valinor geniux % . /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
geniux @ valinor geniux % openapp GWorkspace
2005-09-21 21:19:30.000 GWorkspace[16102] NSApplication.m:203  Assertion failed in initialize_gnustep_backend.  Unable to find backend libgnustep-back.bundle
/usr/GNUstep/System/Applications/GWorkspace.app/GWorkspace: Uncaught exception NSInternalInconsistencyException, reason: NSApplication.m:203  Assertion failed in initialize_gnustep_backend.  Unable to find backend libgnustep-back.bundle

:?:
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under NSGlobalDomain in your ~/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults you want a line like

Code:
NSGlobalDomain = {
  GSBackend = "libgnustep-art";
};

Also, someone on IRC made a bundle for me to hide the floating context menu, and the new Camaelon theming engine looks promising. I load them like so:

Code:
NSGlobalDomain = {
  GSBackend = "libgnustep-art";
  GSAppKitUserBundles = (
    "~/GNUstep/Library/Bundles/menu-go-away.bundle",
    "~/GNUstep/Library/Bundles/Camaelon.themeEngine"
  );
};

fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than editting that file directly is using the 'defaults' command (which also appears once your PATH is set up by sourcing GNUstep.sh).

Basically, for the error you are getting, you need to specify which backend bundle you are using. If you didn't manually choose one or the other, then you are using "back-art'. When installing gnustep apps, I've included some "helper" scripts which ease those times you *have* to set a default, like this one. You can find all of the ones installed at "/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/Gentoo". Run each of the files in there 0) as the user you are using GNUstep as and 1) after you have sourced GNUstep.sh. The files will echo the commands they are executing, showing you a little about how the 'defaults' command works.
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works better now, from the commandline
After doing all this I get:
Code:

geniux @ valinor Gentoo % openapp GWorkspace
2005-09-21 15:48:19.000 GWorkspace[16531] Created standard directory /home/geniux/GNUstep/Library/Colors
Segmentation fault

but that's no biggie if the rest will work. I'll try loging out and in again and see if it works, tell you then.
I'm also wondering if GNUStep needs WMaker to work? And will I have to do these steps
Quote:

You can find all of the ones installed at "/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/Gentoo". Run each of the files in there 0) as the user you are using GNUstep as and 1) after you have sourced GNUstep.sh.

all over again each time I log in to GNUStep or are they permanent once they're activated?
Thanks
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0)
If you find that apps are segfaulting on you, I suggest you emerge =gnustep-base/gnustep-base-1.10.3-r1. In -r1 I added support for ffcall. I found that some newer pentium-m's didn't like libffi (the default, currently). You can explicitly emerge that version, with ffcall in your USE flags, and if it does indeed fix your segfaults, please let me know.

1)
No, you do not *need* WindowMaker to use GNUstep applications -- together though, the two offer common look and feel.

2)
The files in .../Tools/Gentoo need only be run once, as they edit your GNUstep defaults.
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0) Still segfaulting, guess I have to live with that. Will try some other app later on and see if it works better
    1) As I thought. Well, I like the WMaker look and feel that's why I'm using it :)
    2) Great. I've finally got a little grip about it

Thank you so much, I'll probably write here again when something fails, great support
coriolan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-373327-highlight-.html. The problem seems to be the 64bits as explained the wiki: http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Installation_of_32bit_GNUstep_on_64bit_Linux.
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite fancy trying gnustep but have a couple of questions.

1) The camaelon ebuild states I need to USE="camaelon" when building gnustep-gui yet this USE flag isn`t supported by that package.

2) gnustep seems to depends on gcc 3.3.5 or lower, I already have 3.3.6 installed. Any remedy?

3) Most of the ebuilds seem a version out of date.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongrol wrote:
I quite fancy trying gnustep but have a couple of questions.

1) The camaelon ebuild states I need to USE="camaelon" when building gnustep-gui yet this USE flag isn`t supported by that package.

Yeah, it's not in "use.local.desc". You can always just download the bundle it and install it in your own space.

Quote:
2) gnustep seems to depends on gcc 3.3.5 or lower, I already have 3.3.6 installed. Any remedy?

I built gnustep with 3.3.5, but you can just try changing the dependency and see what happens.

Quote:
3) Most of the ebuilds seem a version out of date.

Yeah -- I think the maintainer is waiting for "gnustep-startup" to stabilize, and rework the distribution around that. Though, it's been about a month ...
luisfelipe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built gnustep with gcc-3.4.4 . Why do you say it depends on gcc 3.3.5 ??
GStepper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisfelipe,

I think that if you link against libffi you got to use a version a GCC that matches libffi version, which means GCC 3.3.5 and below....

If you link against ffcall then GCC version doesn't matter...

This is what I understood but if I'm wrong I'd be please to know.

Happy GNUstepping
luisfelipe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

*  dev-libs/libffi :
        [   ] 1.20 (0)
        [   ] 3.3.5 (0)
        [   ] 3.4.1 (0)
        [ ~ ] 3.4.1-r1 (0)
        [  I] 3.4.3 (0)

Just a matter of unmasking the correct packages :)

And also, my gcc version is 3.4.4 , but I'm using libffi 3.4.3 and haven't had any problems yet.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
P.S. Yes, there have be a few ... comments ... about the look of GNUstep/WindowMaker. A new look is in development. You can see previews at http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/ui/concepts/ and http://www.roard.com/screenshots/ , specifically http://www.roard.com/screenshots/screenshot_theme44.png .

Finally, a beta-version of a bootable CD for i386 is available at livecd.gnustep.org.
I'm inquiring, not trying to put down anything. I see some improvement, but without criticising (it's just a preference), some issues still (seem) to be unaddressed. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, or merely overlooked them in my WM/*Step usage.

First (http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/ui/concepts/), are the two controls on either side of the window. Maximize (? I forget), and close. Is there, or will there be, an option to configure order of these functions, as well as an "iconize" option? Seems like a basic environment requirement to me.
Note: Before posting, I noticed this at the GNUstep website: "GNUstep does NOT have a window manager. You can use any window manager you want, although we recommend that you use WindowMaker for a better experience"
That sounds like using a different manager than WM would solve that issue. What would be sacrificed though, since I'd be "giving up a better experience?"

Another issue, is with the "icky squares" (http://www.roard.com/screenshots/screenshot_theme44.png) :D (regardless of progenitor). I skimmed through several shots (http://www.roard.com/screenshots/) but didn't notice an "improved" menu that might go along with http://www.roard.com/screenshots/Dock6.png. By improved, I mean more along the lines of a Gnome or KDE menu (even something entirely new), rather than a minimalist *box menu (note, that I'm not overly impressed with any of those, G & K menus just seem better as a whole -- I do like the "sticky" feature available in WM and clones though).

The launcher icons have always been a sore sport with me, as I've just never liked interacting with them... they got in the way, and required too much manual setup (icons primarily, IIRC). Is there an effort to improve that area (by using existing icons from other environments, or otherwise)?

The general style of this theme (http://www.roard.com/screenshots/Dock6.png) doesn't do much for me, but it does show promise. Specifically the tab feature of the launch bar (it's along the idea of something I've wanted to put in my own "test" wm). Are the jumping (http://www.roard.com/screenshots/Dock5.png) icons able to be turned off, and can the bar be made of sufficiently small size to be useable and unobtrusive? Roughly the size of the "start" bar of Windows/KDE/Gnome (~30 pixels it looks like). Is there a timeframe when temes will be useable to users beyond developers (or are they already)?

I guess an extremely abbreviated summary of the last few paragraphs would be, how tweakable is the environment going to be? As little as Gnome, as much as KDE, somewhere else?

Obviously those are only minor preferential issues. The "new look" does make GNUstep worth watching again though.

One major concern does remain though...
Hypnos wrote:
Lack of apps
What is GNUstep doing to integrate with existing apps? OO.org, Abiword, etc.? For the most part, I see little reason for GNUstep specific apps to exist (excluding the obvious configuration stuff). Are the RAD applications (http://www.gnustep.org/experience/DevelopmentDemonstration.html) useable outside of the GNUstep environment (allowing for obvious lib deps like gtk+/qt)?

Thanks for any info.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
One major concern does remain though...
Hypnos wrote:
Lack of apps
What is GNUstep doing to integrate with existing apps? OO.org, Abiword, etc.? For the most part, I see little reason for GNUstep specific apps to exist (excluding the obvious configuration stuff). Are the RAD applications (http://www.gnustep.org/experience/DevelopmentDemonstration.html) useable outside of the GNUstep environment (allowing for obvious lib deps like gtk+/qt)?

OpenStep had its own unique messaging, session management and usabilty paradigms -- apps from other platforms won't interface with GNUStep without some Obj-C wrapper. GNUStep apps do play nice with others, however, if you aren't annoyed by the status icons forming a dock on your GNOME/KDE/etc. desktop. :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
OpenStep had its own unique messaging, session management and usabilty paradigms -- apps from other platforms won't interface with GNUStep without some Obj-C wrapper. GNUStep apps do play nice with others, however, if you aren't annoyed by the status icons forming a dock on your GNOME/KDE/etc. desktop. :)
Hehe... yeah, the dock is a deal breaker... I've never liked any environments incarnation I've seen of them. Not reinventing the wheel is important too (unless, fex, GNUstep Office was able to use core functions of OO.org, or Abiword. Or that there was a single Open Source .doc importer, etc.)

After looking some more at GNUstep sites (either mentioned here, or from their site), I think it's just a project not meant for me, as it seems the goal is to create an entire environment built on/with/for/whatever GNUstep. Linux/GNU, BSD/OSX, Linux/GNUstep. (As a side note, I suspect I'll have a similar problem with Haiku, nee OpenBeOS.)

Thanks.
coriolan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to pry, but is there anything happening on the gnustep ebuilds? All the stuff in portage is a tad old.
SoylentGreen
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone get the wikipedia dvd working? i always get:
Code:

./Digibux: error while loading shared libraries: libgnustep-gui.so.0.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

8O

the path in "library_paths.openapp" seems to be correct:
Code:

/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries

what am i missing? just downloaded the 7.5GB ISO and cant play with it :lol:
zamfield
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Missing Maintainer Reply with quote

I've been toying with Gentoo for about eight months now, and GnuStep for about three of those. I'm currently
switching back to GnuStep after trying a few alternatives, so I wanted to request any suggestions or
tricks/tips from everyone who has it working. Any submissions that works or helps I will add to the howto wiki
as soon as I can. I'm currently a technical writer, and I've also volunteered to help with documentation
upstream at Gnustep.org.

In addition, I might attempt to cleanup or update this particular herd, but I can't give anyone a
time frame as to when. Much will depend on getting a thorough understanding of both the current GnuStep
environment, and the ebuild/eclass system.

Thank in advance, and also Thanks to Fafhrd for all your hard work.

Zamfield
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just heard that gnustep could run mac-osX apps..with only a recompilation
what kind of interesting open-source software is there on mac-osx ?
widget?
others?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: