View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo Quickly and Easily - Kororaa Method Howto Reply with quote

12th Dec 05
In case anyone's out there listening in OTW land, I have released Kororaa Beta2-r1!
Beta2 comes in 4 flavours, x86 KDE, AMD64 KDE, x86 Gnome and AMD64 Gnome.
It is probably best to visit the website and check it out if you are interested, as all Kororaa related threads have been moved to OTW.

Let's Begin!
Are you looking for a quick and easy way to install Gentoo (with an installer)? Want a nice pre-built KDE system but don't know where to start?

Why not try the Kororaa install method?!

The Kororaa method is essentially a fully-automated binary install of Gentoo Linux
The Kororaa build is derived from Bob P's Stage1/3 install method.
It is currently BETA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support
Since all Kororaa related threads have been moved to OTW, please use the Kororaa forums here for any support, thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How
Here's what you do!
Download the ISO via bittorrent.
The md5sums are here.
This ISO will, in effect, replace the Gentoo install CD for the sake of this exercise.
If you're interested, you can grab the Install script here, and the Setup script here (though these are included on the cd).

If you want to download the bittorrent under Gentoo, I suggest you install that first ;):
Code:
emerge -av bittorrent
(I like to have USE="-X" for this package as I only use the console version).

Then start downloading!
Code:
btdownloadcurses.py /path/to/bittorrent/file

Once the ISOs have been downloaded, burn it with your favourite cd-burning application and boot to it!

I strongly suggest you BACKUP your important information first.

Let's boot to the CD.

You should see the grub menu, and in 5 seconds it will automatically boot from the CD (the boot process should be very similar to the standard Gentoo Install).
Once you have booted the CD you should be sitting as root at a console, and be able to read the disclaimer.

Install
Feel free to play a little moon-buggy, then when you're ready run the command:
Code:
kororaa
This will kick up the installer!

Follow the prompts through the install process, which initially will be asking to "Partition Your Drives".
Do so, and then run the "Set Mountpoints" option.
After the install process has formatted and mounted your partitions (as per the standard Gentoo install) you're ready to begin the install, so choose "Install" and sit back.

The "Install" section of the Kororaa installer will extract the custom stage3, and the custom portage tree.

Setup
Once the install has been completed, you should be greeted with the Setup section.
Here it will ask you things like, your hostname, domainname, and the date, etc.
Answer these questions and then choose "Install Packages and Configure" from the menu.

This will install a full suite of applications for you, including KDE 3.4.3 (with pertty patches!), 2.6.13 ck based kernel, the gimp, openoffice2 (with en_AU, en_GB and en_US dictionaries), firefox, thunderbird, etc, plus a whole stack of applications for everyday tasks (including scanning, digital photos, cd burning, DVD's and video, java support, encryption, music, bluetooth, etc, as well as a few important games ;))

This may take an hour or so (hardware depending), so don't forget about moon-buggy!!

Bootloader
Once this has been complete, Setup will now ask you if you want to install Grub (the bootloader).
Simply select yes or no, and if yes choose the location you want to install Grub to.
Generally this will be the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the first bootable hard drive (hd0).

Setup will automatically generate your grub.conf, including entries for any Windows installations you may have *cough cough*.
It does not at this stage automatically generate entries for other Linux installations on your machine - you'll have to do this yourself! :o

Finish!
The only other thing you should have to do under the Kororaa install method is to set a root password and create a user account.
By default your user account will be automatically configured for you, so just enter the name and password.

Once this has been completed select "Finish!" from the menu. This will exit the installer and prompt for both the automatic unmounting of partitions, and the reboot of the system.

Upon reboot, eject the CD and you should be ready to boot to your brand new Gentoo install!

The System
You should be greeted with the default Gentoo grub splash and it should be counting down to your new Gentoo system... 3..2..1... thunderbirds are go..

After Gentoo has booted, it will ask you to configure sound - this is a good thing :)

It will also ask you various other things like whether you want to configure lm_sensors or not (for cpu temp, fan speeds etc) - this is up to you, so enter yes or no :)

Then it will auto configure X and you should be greeted by the KDM login screen!

I hope you enjoy :)

-c

Last edited by taskara on Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:11 am; edited 55 times in total
oKtosiTe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer
No, I'm not looking for that, but thanks for asking.
Forget USE flags, choices and building from source, here's the new and improved Gentoo. Yay for binary. Seriously though, I don't not use Fedora for no reason.
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oKtosiTe wrote:
Answer
No, I'm not looking for that, but thanks for asking.
Forget USE flags, choices and building from source, here's the new and improved Gentoo. Yay for binary. Seriously though, I don't not use Fedora for no reason.

Eh? It's not a gentoo replacement, but rather an installation method. You are free to change your USE flags and 'emerge -e system' to your heart's content once everything is finished.

If you want choice, then you wouldn't be using a KDE tarball now would you? :roll:
oKtosiTe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I was just kidding around. Still, I enjoy installing gentoo the time-consuming, stage1, way.
Oops, I forgot to add a :wink: to my original post.
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oKtosiTe wrote:
I know, I was just kidding around.

Er, okay.
Quote:
Still, I enjoy installing gentoo the time-consuming, stage1, way.

Using a stage3 tarball will always be more stable, waste less time, and offer equal or greater oportunities for optimilazations.
-Rick-
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty nice...I might want to do this if I ever go back to linux :)
oKtosiTe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Using a stage3 tarball will always be more stable, waste less time, and offer equal or greater oportunities for optimilazations.

You call that explicit? :wink:
I'm still waiting for my first crash... but I suppose you have a point with the timesaving aspect.
Quote:
This is pretty nice...I might want to do this if I ever go back to linux

Unless you use some GNU'd BSD or HURD type dealie, I'm unsure what your motivations are for posting here.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added a link to http://www.kororaa.org where there are screenshots and other information about this install method (like why I created it ;))

oKtosiTe, thanks for your reply. I can appreciate where you're coming from. I have been using Gentoo since 1.1 in Feb 2002 and have done LOTS of stage 1 installs, and lots of stage 1 from 3 installs :)
From the website
taskara wrote:
What's the point of it?

I must state that I adore the manual Gentoo way of installing. In fact, I swore against an installer for Gentoo for a long time and this stance has not changed. What I wanted however was a way to quickly re-produce a desktop installation for multiple machines. I also wanted a tool that I could give to friends who liked the idea of Gentoo but complained about the “compile time”. I don't think that missing out on the Gentoo experience because of “compile time” is valid and so I wanted a way to introduce my friends to Gentoo without having to build their systems myself.

I cannot more strongly recommend the Gentoo install method if you are serious about learning both Gentoo and GNU/Linux in general. I owe Gentoo a lot – I played with Redhat back in 1998 (thanks to Andrew Tridgell) but then fell into RPM hell and went around from distro to distro in a mad seething rage of desperation. Then I came across Gentoo 1.1 and it was love at first install.

So, if you're someone who doesn't want to wait to get a nicely configured Gentoo system, is so afraid of the standard install method that it's stopping you from trying Gentoo at all, or you're a lazy pig then this method is for you!

Note: You can use our stage3, portage snapshot and packages together with the standard Gentoo “Stage3 GRP” install if you want to try it that way too!

I hope that helps explain why I created Kororaa.

Dlareh, thanks for backing me up ;)
You are exactly correct. This is a way to get a nice healthy Gentoo installation, and then you can mess it up from there!
With Kororaa I have already done all the hard work, so others can reap the benefits and then change whatever they like for a custom system.

-Rick-, go on. Give it a go ;) There are some screenshots at the webpage and I'm creating an installation manual for it. But I would like to think you'd be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks everyone,

-c
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have reached 50 downloads of Kororaa Beta 1 ISO!

Hopefully soon we will hear more feedback! ;)

-c
orangato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Installing on Laptop Reply with quote

Was just downloading Gentoo 2005.1 to do a fresh install on my laptop and came across this thread. Giving the Kororaa method a shot. :) I'll be installing this on my Gateway laptop and will be sure and post my results. Back to starting impatiently at my bittorrent download.

Aaron
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Installing on Laptop Reply with quote

orangato wrote:
Was just downloading Gentoo 2005.1 to do a fresh install on my laptop and came across this thread. Giving the Kororaa method a shot. :) I'll be installing this on my Gateway laptop and will be sure and post my results. Back to starting impatiently at my bittorrent download.

Aaron

hey Aaron, great!

Is your bittorrent going slowly? We should have plenty of bandwidth free..

-c
orangato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been dropping to 20-25KB/s now, was up around 50KB/s max.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have at least 500kb/sec bandwidth available, so should be plenty there.
What speed is your broadband?

Cheers,
-c
orangato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3Mbit download. The transfer completed sometime in the night. :)
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. 50kb is strange then.

anyhoo let us know what you think ;)

cheers
-c
OddFox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely try this sometime when I get the chance, the main reason I don't bother with stage3 installs and just resign myself to stage1 is because the time saved is not enough for me to care about on my own particular system, and I'd rather get my ccache going early on so that things take even less time. But if I had the option of a stage3 with a graphics system, damn, that sounds pretty tasty. So far I've had to just use ahorn's LiveCD so I can have a graphical interface to use while waiting for the install to be done. It's alright but this sounds better.

P.S. - I assume that it's an x86 thing, wonder if it would be easy to make it multi-platform? I'll double check shortly here though :)

EDIT: And I now strike at myself, the homepage is quite detailed enough to answer me. ^^
Eating the bananas and the cocaine off the mirror
Looking for a ticket to take me away from here
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OddFox wrote:
P.S. - I assume that it's an x86 thing, wonder if it would be easy to make it multi-platform? I'll double check shortly here though :)

EDIT: And I now strike at myself, the homepage is quite detailed enough to answer me. ^^

;) at the moment it is just x86 (pentium3) but you can certainly re-build your system for any arch you like.

If it is popular we will release an AMD64 build.. I'll just have to buy a new dual-core AMD64 machine :D

-c
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, looks like I've found the source of the reiser4 bug - reiser4progs.

I have updated reiser4progs and libaal to versions 1.0.5 on my default Kororaa install and the fsck.reiser4 corruption errors have dissapeared.

If you want to use reiser4, you should be able to safely now, but NOT in the installer - use it after the install and just update to the latest versions of the above.

I will include the fix in beta2. Thanks again.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen, thanks to iainvt I have found a missing package!

In order to get the plugins menu under konqueror's configure section you need the nsplugins package.

I have pre-built this for you and uploaded it to the internet here (135kb).
Put this file under /usr/portage/packages/All/

Now add nsplugins to packages.keywords
Code:
echo "kde-base/nsplugins ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
and emerge it!
Code:
emerge -avk nsplugins

Close konqueror, and from the shell prompt run
Code:
killall konqueror
open konqueror again and you should now have the plugin option under Settings --> Configure Konqueror.
Add ~/.mozilla/plugins as a new directory. Assuming you have downloaded the flash plugin for Firefox it should work.

If you haven't, I've uploaded the files you need here (925kb).
You need to extract this file to the plugin dir
Code:
mkdir -p ~/.mozilla/plugins ; tar -xvjpf flashplugin.tar.bz2 -C ~/.mozilla/plugins/

Test it out on your favourite flash site.

-c

Last edited by taskara on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slalomsk8er
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small complaint :wink:

During boot I was not asked what my keyboard type is :cry:
I am from switzerland so I would like to type 33 there or else I get a "/" if I type "-" and some other things like this.

And some nagging questions :P

What's wrong with a "press F1 for help, F2 for options" boot screen?

Where are the backbuttons in the dialogs or a way to redo some sub steps?

And why is the CD not comming out of the drive after finishing the install (ala knoppix)?

But after all my "issues" I still have to thank you for my fastes gentoo install ever.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slalomsk8er wrote:
I have a small complaint :wink:
cool!

Slalomsk8er wrote:
During boot I was not asked what my keyboard type is :cry:
I am from switzerland so I would like to type 33 there or else I get a "/" if I type "-" and some other things like this.

Hey, you're right, I didn't ask for keyboard type - I'll have to look into this for the next release! It's something I didn't even think about. Cheers!

Slalomsk8er wrote:
And some nagging questions :P

What's wrong with a "press F1 for help, F2 for options" boot screen?

That uses ISOLinux to boot, whereas I am using grub. I will be intending on using ISOLinux so I'll look into this too :)

Slalomsk8er wrote:

Where are the backbuttons in the dialogs or a way to redo some sub steps?

This is something I'm looking at doing too, however it wasn't high on the agenda - just getting it all working was ;)
What parts did you want to re-do? You can exit the installer and start again if you want, you can go back at various stages, but you can't go from the setup menu to the install menu - this is because you are chrooted into your new environment and all the harddrives are in use and partitions are mounted. etc. Let me know where you think it would be helpful and I'll see what I can do!

Slalomsk8er wrote:

And why is the CD not comming out of the drive after finishing the install (ala knoppix)?

Cause I'm not that clever :P Once again I didn't even think about this, but it's a good idea.

Slalomsk8er wrote:

But after all my "issues" I still have to thank you for my fastes gentoo install ever.

Cool, I hope you like it.
Thanks for all the feedback, that's very helpful! I'll see what I can do about including them in the next beta!

Let us know any other ideas / complaints you have!

Cheers,
-c
Slalomsk8er
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What parts did you want to re-do? You can exit the installer and start again if you want, you can go back at various stages, but you can't go from the setup menu to the install menu - this is because you are chrooted into your new environment and all the harddrives are in use and partitions are mounted. etc. Let me know where you think it would be helpful and I'll see what I can do!

Nothing big just the easy stuff like Hostname and the other trivial things.
I had an other Idea but I think this need some work as the dialogs change things one at a time.
How a about a summary page before writing all the collected options to the config files?

I found a little show stopper:

nvidia-glx did not wanted to work until I baked my own gentoo-sources 2.6.12-gentoo-r10-slalomsk8er kernel.
Your kernel was able to load the nvidia module but Xorg refused to work with the module.

If I open a Linux Console in KDE I get this Error:
Font `-misc-console-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1' not found.

The make.conf looks strange to me for a Jackass! based system. Does the "-*" in the useflags do what I think it does? I never saw LDFLAGS before, are they a KDE only thing? How much jackass! is in Kororaa?

A fast install is what I was missing in gentoo and you did it.
Thanks for Kororaa,

Slalomsk8er
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slalomsk8er wrote:
Nothing big just the easy stuff like Hostname and the other trivial things.
I had an other Idea but I think this need some work as the dialogs change things one at a time.
How a about a summary page before writing all the collected options to the config files?

Dear Slalomsk8er,
Thanks for these ideas, I'll look into them for the next release :)

Slalomsk8er wrote:

I found a little show stopper:

nvidia-glx did not wanted to work until I baked my own gentoo-sources 2.6.12-gentoo-r10-slalomsk8er kernel.
Your kernel was able to load the nvidia module but Xorg refused to work with the module.

If I open a Linux Console in KDE I get this Error:
Font `-misc-console-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1' not found.

This is strange as the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx worked just fine for me.. hmm I'll have to do some more tests.
Can I ask what version you installed?

Slalomsk8er wrote:

The make.conf looks strange to me for a Jackass! based system. Does the "-*" in the useflags do what I think it does? I never saw LDFLAGS before, are they a KDE only thing? How much jackass! is in Kororaa?

Well, by "based on the Jackass! method" I mean the procedure of re-building the toolchain, however the CFLAGS are the default Jackass! except that I changed -O2 to -Os (which is the same as -O2 but without optimisations that increase binary size). I did make a lot of other changes though, it's true. The LDFLAGS I added, the -* in USE tells portage to "include NO use flags, except what I specify" (this gave me greater control over the system).

Slalomsk8er wrote:

A fast install is what I was missing in gentoo and you did it.
Thanks for Kororaa,

Slalomsk8er

Awwww shucks :oops: thanks!
I'm glad it's what you were looking for :D
Slalomsk8er
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r4
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6

Code:
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.3
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
    GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
    GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_NV_video_out, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
    GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5600/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 1.5.2 NVIDIA 66.29
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_fragment_program,

glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
    GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x21 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  4 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None

I think I found the source of it.
As I am toying with the kernel I compiled the nvidiafb and X refused to work on my kernel too.
Is the nvidiafb compiled in kororaa?

What about the Font problem?
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to here in the support thread.
cheers
-c
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3