Your USE flags
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dedeaux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Your USE flags Reply with quote

Ok. I have been following the forums for a while and notice that there are many helpful people using these forums. There are always several people replying and the response time is generally fast.

I was wondering if there are any dual P3 users out there who have their system up and running stable. Would you be willing to share your USE flags found in /etc/make.conf as well as any optimizations that you added. This would be quite helpful. Also, please note that I am using release 1.2 w/o gcc3.1.

Thanks!
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a dual P3 (under GCC 2.95) and my box is quite stable, even though I abuse it a lot. :D

My USE flags are quite skimpy:
Code:
USE="-java -alsa -avifile -opengl mmx sse"

As are my optimizations:
Code:
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

But it works well.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a P3 Katmai 500Mhz (no dual), but perhaps it's useful anyway if I post this:

Code:

USE="-kde -qt -arts -ipv6 -spell alsa gpm ssl avi mpeg quicktime sld evo sse mmx xv"

Code:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

That's what I'm using now, but I change my USE flags rather often.
This is useful: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/use-howto.html

Greets
csign
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those all the USE flags or are there more
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the third time I've said this in 10 minutes: RTFM.
dedeaux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. That is most helpful.

What are the side effects of NOT using alsa? I have a sblive and am using the creative linux drivers. Are there programs that absolutely require it? I will eventually want to play DVDs as well as MP3s as I get the machine stable and usable.

I removed kde as it is very resource hungry and can be slow. I am now running gnome2 and have been pleased with performance.

I am running a dual p3-933 on a ecs d6vaa mb.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

dedeaux wrote:

What are the side effects of NOT using alsa? I have a sblive and am using the creative linux drivers. Are there programs that absolutely require it? I will eventually want to play DVDs as well as MP3s as I get the machine stable and usable.

I removed kde as it is very resource hungry and can be slow. I am now running gnome2 and have been pleased with performance.

I am running a dual p3-933 on a ecs d6vaa mb.

I personally am finding it hard *not* to use alsa, considering thats where my modules are coming from...

You say your using gnome 2.. did you unmask it and emerge it, or download it from the gnome site and compile it?

I'm interested in trying it out.. but portage says it's masked.
I've been bit by masked things before :) (my, that didn't sound good)
--
Dan
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

dedeaux wrote:
What are the side effects of NOT using alsa?

I'd never used alsa until coming to Gentoo. Debian uses OSS -- so far, I haven't noticed any significant differences. If you like one over the other, use that.

One thing to keep in mind is that, with the release of the 2.6 kernel, it will include alsa in addition to (or perhaps instead of) OSS.

--kurt
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

dedeaux wrote:

What are the side effects of NOT using alsa? I have a sblive and am using the creative linux drivers. Are there programs that absolutely require it?

I thought so at one time, but was apparently confused. I'd unmerged alsa only to find out everything I wanted to install required Alsa. This wasn't strictly the case at all. About 3/4 of my system libraries had been *linked* to Alsa (libasound.la) during building and so I had to reemerge a huge number of libraries to get rid of Alsa. It took a heck of a long time but it was worth it (the moral here is, if you have native driver support - use it and don't go on building your whole system against Alsa).

The sound with the Kernel SBLive driver (Creatives) is far better and GUI mixer (kmix/gmix) support is far superior (certainly if you like your rear speakers). ;-) As for OSS, provided it's in the USE flags, selecting OSS output in RealPlayer, Xine and Ogle actually works, so it must be incorporated in the SBLive driver.

dedeaux wrote:

I will eventually want to play DVDs as well as MP3s as I get the machine stable and usable.

Well, I play DVDs, MP3s, etc. And the sound (from an SBLive!) really is far superior. Certainly on my computer. :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: