How about itanium?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
royd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: How about itanium? Reply with quote

Any plans for supporting it?

r.
larin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Itanium Gentoo Reply with quote

I have a zx2000 (single Itanium 2) at home, and would be happy to help in any porting
efforts. I am just starting out in the world of gentoo, and would need some help.

Currently the machine is running debian ia64. But it is not a production machine and there
are no problems making any desired changes.

-Larin
davoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you think bout the itanium 2 since all your linux apps run in emulation mode. bummer eh :\ I mean only the kernel uses your processor like it should, the apps suck.
larin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mysystem is a single 900MHz Itanium2. Running debian with the 2.4.19-mckinley-smp kernel It seems about the same speed as a 900MHz Pentium III. That is a purely subjective feeling though.

HP has a set of hand-coded ibraries for the Itanium2 to increase the math performance. The problem is that these libraries are only designed to work under RedHat Linux Advanced Workstation. In fact they currently only support WinXP 64-bit RC3, HP-UX, and RH AW on the zx2000.

I would have to agree that the performance of the zx200o has a great deal of room for improvement.

BTW: I am starting to try and bring up gentoo on the box, and had a question.
I am new to gentoo, so this may be a real simple problem. I downloaded and installed portage to the system. Now I am attempting to make emerge work. I set up a new /usr/lib/portage/profiles/default-ia64-1.4 directory based on the default-x86-1.4. I then make a symbolic link from the new directory to /etc/make.profile. When I attempt to do an emerge sync, my new directory gets deleted. How do I go about updating the system and keeping the new directory?
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larin wrote:
Well, mysystem is a single 900MHz Itanium2. Running debian with the 2.4.19-mckinley-smp kernel It seems about the same speed as a 900MHz Pentium III. That is a purely subjective feeling though.

HP has a set of hand-coded ibraries for the Itanium2 to increase the math performance. The problem is that these libraries are only designed to work under RedHat Linux Advanced Workstation. In fact they currently only support WinXP 64-bit RC3, HP-UX, and RH AW on the zx2000.

I would have to agree that the performance of the zx200o has a great deal of room for improvement.

BTW: I am starting to try and bring up gentoo on the box, and had a question.
I am new to gentoo, so this may be a real simple problem. I downloaded and installed portage to the system. Now I am attempting to make emerge work. I set up a new /usr/lib/portage/profiles/default-ia64-1.4 directory based on the default-x86-1.4. I then make a symbolic link from the new directory to /etc/make.profile. When I attempt to do an emerge sync, my new directory gets deleted. How do I go about updating the system and keeping the new directory?

In theory, you could place it anywhere and make a symlink to '/etc/make.profile'

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
Gnufsh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't gcc code 2-3 times slower than icc code on the Itanium?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: