Bootable / with soft raid-0?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paladin21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Bootable / with soft raid-0? Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten this setup to work? I would like to put the entire file system on a raid array (using the LSR). I can do all of the normal install (per the install guide) fine. However, when I boot up after finishing installing grub, etc., I get an unmountable root error. I did notice that earlier in the boot process, the RAID initialization craps out with a -22 error (I can try again and be more specific if anyone cares, away from that comp. right now). Alternatively, does anyone know what HAS to be on a normal partition, and what can be shoved off to the array? I mean, if all I need is a dummy / and I can put everything else away, that would be fine too.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed on the gentoo 1.2 stage 1 ISO there are now some tools for creating RAID arrays as part of the install process. Did you check those out? (I haven't used them myself, so I can't attest to how well they do/don't work)

--kurt
Paladin21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have been a little more specific. The RAID array performs perfectly during the install portion (the initial one, anyway). I do modprobe md, make a raidtab, set partitions to type fd, do mkraid. Everything is perfect. I had the entire filesystem (other than /boot and swap) installed to a soft RAID array. It actually is still there. I can boot from the CD and manually mount the file system and do stuff, it just will not boot directly from the drive. It gives a make RAID error in startup (which it shouldn't, since I copied my working /etc/raidtab from the temp install to the RAID array itself). The error is -22. I have been thinking about this and I believe that the problem is that the /etc/raidtab files are ON the RAID that they are supposed to initialize. When I have a chance this evening, I am going to wipe everything and start over using a seperate partition for /etc so that the array will hopefully register correctly. Anyone have another solution for me to try?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: