View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: [Howto] HPLIP & CUPS Reply with quote

This document is the result of countless frustrating hours spent dealing with CUPS, hplip, seemingly inconsequential dependencies, and forum posts. Many thanks go out to the Gentoo community for their support, as well as the Gentoo Wiki Team.

First, I have a PSC 2610, connected via Ethernet. As such, I'm using hplip, due to it's built-in support for the scanner and card-reader, among other things. It also allows you to monitor ink levels, which is quite useful. If your only concern is printing, use hpijs. It has no dependencies to speak of (other than cups and foomatic, which should be obvious for printing) Of note, hplip/hijs is the successor to hpoj. NOT another component, as some people seem to think. If you are still using hpoj, I strongly suggest upgrading. If not, this Wiki entry should be of benefit.

I'm using hplip-0.9.4, cups-1.1.23-r1, python-2.3.5, perl-5.8.6-r5, qt-3.3.4-r3, gtk+-1.2.10-r11/2.8.0-r2, foomatic-3.0.2, sip-4.1.1, PyQt-3.13, net-snmp-5.2.1.2, sane-backends-1.0.15, sane-frontends-1.0.13, and libusb-0.1.10a. System is/was (highly modified now) Jackass! Athlon-XP, running baselayout-1.11.13, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5-r1, and binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r10. Special USE flags are noted where relevant.

-------------------
TOC

1. Required Components
2. Optional Components
3. Installation
a. USE Flags
4. SNMP
5. Configuration
6. Troubleshooting
a. Basic Steps
b. Network
c. USB
7. Scanning/Photo Cards
8. HP Toolbox
9. Conclusion

-------------------
Required Components
app-text/ghostscript
dev-lang/perl # Hopefully, you have this already;-)
dev-lang/python # Again, you should have this
dev-libs/libusb # I believe this is only necessary if you're using a USB connection, but I could be wrong.
usblp kernel module # Thanks to forum member bfdi533 for pointing this out. Again, necessary for USB.
dev-python/PyQt # Note the capitalization
dev-python/sip
media-gfx/sane-backends
net-analyzer/net-snmp
net-print/cups
net-print/hplip # Note that hplip, as of 0.9.4, is still masked.
net-print/foomatic

-------------------
Optional Components
media-gfx/gimp-print # The GIMP can use it's own special printer drivers, which produce better quality prints.
media-gfx/sane-frontends # Some OCR programs require this, so I'm including it now.
net-print/foomatic-filters # A massive database of PPD files for pretty much every printer in use today.

-------------------
Installation

A few USE flags you may or may not want to enable are gphoto2 and usb for sane-backends, lm_sensors for net-snmp, and qt and usb for hplip.

Presumably, a mere 'emerge hplip' would pick everything up you need. On my machine, that failed to grab net-snmp, PyQt, and sane-backends, all of which are necessary for various functionality. You can just run an 'emerge -pv hplip' first and see what it picks up. If not, manually emerging each package (perhaps with some USE flags) works fine. Of note, I've added in the ppds USE flag to hplip, as per der bastler's post. I didn't have a problem without it, but perhaps I just got lucky. In any case, it can't hurt. Optionally, you could add it to your /etc/make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use.

Code:

emerge ghostscript PyQt sip foomatic gimp-print foomatic-filters libusb && USE="lm_sensors" emerge net-snmp && USE="gphoto2" emerge sane-backends && USE="ppds qt" && emerge hplip

Now that all everything's emerged, let's get on with it...

USE Flags

OK, so one more thing. It's a good idea to put these flags into your packge.use. Why? As was helpfully pointed out by slycordinator, if you don't, they won't be utilized when you upgrade or re-emerge. If you don't mind how they're sorted, something like this works:

Code:
echo "packageCategory/packageName" >> /etc/portage/package.use

If you do mind, just open up package.use with your favorite (VI, naturally) editor and place them in whatever order you wish. Alphabetical makes sense.

-------------------
SNMP

First, a word about SNMP. I have no experience with it whatsoever. It is a great mystery to me how or why it works in the first place. The default file /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf is below, with all comments and un-necessary options removed. I'm not even sure if this is necessary, though, as the snmpd service doesn't seem to be necessary for printing. Regardless, here you go.

As of hplip 0.9.4, this doesn't seem to be a problem. Apparently there was a mixup in the ebuild. Net-SNMP never was, and is not a dependency. net-snmp, however, is.
Portage claims dev-perl/Net-SNMP is required for hplip. However, due to a typo on my part, I mistakenly emerged net-analyzer/net-snmp instead. When I later was looking through dependencies, I emerged Net-SNMP, and unmerged net-snmp. Hmm... no printing. Interesting. Emerged net-snmp (note, if you plan on doing this, I suggest making a package, as it takes a fair bit to compile), and it worked again. Stranger and stranger. Unmerged the supposedly necessary Net-SNMP, and still works. I've since then given up understanding in return for a working printer

Code:

com2sec notConfigUser  default       public

group   notConfigGroup v1           notConfigUser
group   notConfigGroup v2c           notConfigUser

view    systemview    included   .1.3.6.1.2.1.1
view    systemview    included   .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1

access  notConfigGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  systemview none none

Also of note, if you compiled in support for lm_sensors, you'll need to do a few more things. First, if you're running a 2.6 series kernel, you'll need to compile in I2C support, found in Device Drivers --> I2C Support. lspci can come in handy here for determining what modules to include. Also useful, /usr/bin/sensors-detect. This nifty little program will scan your various buses and determine what modules it needs, and if you want, even modify the configuration files for you.

-------------------
Configuration

Code:

cd /usr/share/hplip     # Default install directory
./check                 # Checks for all required components, and proper versions.  Should return OK on all.
./probe -busb
[b]OR[/b]
./probe -bnet           # Probes either the USB or Network for attached devices.  If you're lucky, it'll be picked up.  I wasn't.

Assuming the probe went fine, fire up your browser of choice, and navigate to http://localhost:631 You should be greeted with the CUPS main page.

Change to Manage Printers, and then click 'Add Printer'. Login as root, with your root password. In the next page, you need at least a name. The name must be <= 127 characters, and contain no spaces. I suggest your model number, i.e. PSC2610. The other fields are optional, but can be handy if you have multiple printers.

In the 'Device' field, bounce down to hp:/net/modelNumber?ip=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn OR hp:/usb/modelNumber?serial=xxx... (depending on whether it's connected via Ethernet or USB) If it's not there (although if that's the case, that means the probe command failed, so why are you reading this section?), don't despair; we'll fix that in a bit. If it is, though, choose it, and go on.

In the 'Make' field, choose your manufacturer; presumably HP, if you're reading this. Pretty straight forward. Onward.

In the 'Model' field, pick your driver. Note that many times, there are more than one that will work. In my case, I had to download the correct .ppd file from HP's site, which was then placed in /usr/share/cups/model. Anyway, hopefully you have one that reads something like '$MAKE $MODEL Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)'. Also of note, if you chose not to emerge foomatic-filters you may not have much of anything. If this is the case, you can alternatively download the PPD file directly from the manufacturer's site, or LinuxPrinting.org.

That's it! Print a test page, and check that everything's correct; particularly the margins. If something's amiss, skip down to the HP Toolbox section.

-------------------
Troubleshooting

So, probe failed, did it? Join the club. Seriously; join it. Tons of help available there. But on with the show.

Basic Steps

Let's check the obvious first. Is it plugged in and powered up? Are your cables good? Are the required services started/being loaded by default?

Code:

rc-update show default     # Check for cupsd and hplip; they should have 'default' to the right.  If it's not, make it so with the bash script below.
for i in cupsd hplip ; do rc-update add $i default ; done
/etc/init.d/cupsd restart    # Start/restart cups - often times restarting a service fixes problems.
/etc/init.d/hplip restart    # Ditto for hplip

Network
Code:

ping nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn          # Where nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the IP address you've assigned to your printer.  If you can ping it, there's one less thing to worry about.
cd /usr/share/hplip
./makeuri nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn

Now navigate back to Manage Printers and select 'Add Printer', only this time, choose 'AppSocket/HP Jet Direct' as the Device. In the 'Device URI' field, type in (or better yet, paste, as it's long) the URI ./makeuri returned. Continue as normal.

If makeuri fails (which does happen occasionally), you can look at /usr/share/hplip/data/xml/models.xml for your model number, and use that for the URI.

Code:

cd /usr/share/hplip/data/xml
sed '/model.*$MODEL/!d' models.xml   # Where $MODEL is your model name.  Use only the model number; and round down.  2610 becomes 2600, and so on.  Retain the 'model' bit as-is, though.

The only part you want is in the <model name="x"> field. For me, it's 'Photosmart_2600_series'. Armed with this, return to Manage Printers, and select 'Add Printer' as above. Follow the same steps, selecting 'AppSocket/HP Jet Direct' as the Device. Only now, in the 'Device URI' field, type in the following:

Code:

hp:/net/$SED_OUTPUT?ip=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn     # For me, this looks like hp:/net/Photosmart_2600_series?ip=192.168.1.5

USB

I don't have a USB printer. As such, the only help I can offer you is some basic advice. First, did you compile in support for USB/USB Printers in your kernel? What does the command lsusb return, if anything? Did you compile hplip with the usb USE flag? Is your kernel compiled with the usblp module, and have you loaded it?

-------------------
Scanning/Photo Cards

If you have an All-In-One, you'll likely also want to enable the scanner and card reader. If you managed to get the printer working, and emerged sane-backends, that should be all that's necessary. I didn't have to do any extra configuration. Fire up xsane, or your scanning program of choice, and try it out. For the card reader, you can use the photo utility in the /usr/share/hplip directory. Alternatively, (and much easier) use the HP Toolbox, as described below.

-------------------
HP Toolbox

If you have the printer working correctly, the only other thing that may hamper you is dev-python/PyQt. I forgot to emerge this, and had quite a time dealing with it. Once installed, you can do most anything.

From the Functions tab, there are options for 'Print', 'Scan', and 'Access Photo Cards'. This last one is very useful. It presents you with a GUI that allows downloading and uploading from any inserted media cards, rather than using the confusing CLI interface.

From the Status tab, you can check recent jobs the printer completed, it's current status, and any error messages.

From the Settings tab, you can set special options, if your printer supports them. This is also where fax options can be set, once hplip has support for it.

From the Print Jobs tab, you can check on any current or previous print jobs.

From the Supplies tab, you can check on ink levels, and the type of installed cartridges.

From the Maintenance tab, you can clean the nozzles, align the print heads, or calibrate the color output.

From the Panel tab, it appears you can view the information contained on the front LCD panel. It doesn't appear to be functional yet, but this could prove very promising.

From the Information tab, you can view information about your printer and it's connection, as well as print a test page, and open up the CUPS web interface.

-------------------
Conclusion

hplip is a very powerful and sometimes difficult piece of software. Once configured correctly, it's just as usable as the Windows bundle.

Main things to watch out for are installed packages and USE flags. Those bit me more times than I can count. Double and triple-check that everything's been installed to spec, and you should have no problems.

Last edited by Stephonovich on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:50 am; edited 12 times in total
HackingM2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stephonovich, that just saved me no end of time. :)
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Small corrections... Reply with quote

Just let me thank you for your small summary. Another proof that the Gentoo community represents a valuable source of informations. :)

As an owner of a brand-new HP PhotoSmart 2610 I have to add some small corrections:

Very important: add ppds to your use flags in make.conf before emerging foomatic and hplip, it's important to get a ppd file tailored by hplip for your printer! See: http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
Quote:
ppds Adds support for automatically generated ppd (printing driver) files

Second: To get a clean installation, remove cups and foomatic and re-install both by emerging foomatic (this will make sure the ppds use flag is used).

Third: after the successful installation of HPLIP, start the neccessary services:
Code:
# /etc/init.d/cupsd start
# /etc/init.d/hplip start
# /etc/init.d/snmpd start

Without hplip and snmpd the probe script will not work...

Finally, in the CUPS web frontend, follow the installation instructions on hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php (procedure for my HP):
1.) Set a name/location/description; >Continue<
2.) Select AppSocket/HP JetDirect as Device; >Continue<
3.) Enter the URI ./probe returned; >Continue<
4.) Select HP as your manufacturer; >Continue<
5.) Select HP PhotoSmart 2600 Foomatic/hpijs (something like this); >Continue<
Well, that's it. Print a test page to see if it is working.

Again: use flag ppds is a must! In my CUPS config procedure I could not do step 5 because there were no foomatic models available! I re-emerged the whole software only to find out that the small "ppds" makes a big difference...
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, just forgot: If one wants to use a built-in scanner (remember, got a PhotoSmart 2610) one has to set the "scanner" use flag.

Compiling hplip, third time... :roll:
kenyon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the writeup.

Some comments:
  • You don't need dev-perl/Net-SNMP, that must have been in an older ebuild accidentally, because I don't see it in the current ebuilds.
  • Some of us are having problems with the /etc/init.d/hplip script; see Bug 97033 Comment 4.
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PhotoSmart 2610 is working fine with my desktop pc. I can scan, print, access a flashcard...

Now for the big "But"... On my notebook I cannot emerge foomatic-filters:
Code:
>>> emerge (3 of 16) net-print/foomatic-filters-3.0.2 to /
>>> Downloading ftp://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/gentoo-mirror/distfiles/foomatic-filters-3.0.2.tar.gz
--11:23:08--  ftp://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/gentoo-mirror/distfiles/foomatic-filters-3.0.2.tar.gz
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/foomatic-filters-3.0.2.tar.gz'
Auflösen des Hostnamen »linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de«.... fertig.
Verbindungsaufbau zu linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de[134.147.32.57]:21... verbunden.Anmelden als anonymous ... Angemeldet!
==> SYST ... fertig.    ==> PWD ... fertig.
==> TYPE I ... fertig.  ==> CWD /gentoo-mirror/distfiles ... fertig.
==> PASV ... fertig.    ==> RETR foomatic-filters-3.0.2.tar.gz ... fertig.
Länge: 125,875 (unmaßgeblich)

100%[====================================>] 125,875      222.69K/s    ETA 00:00

11:23:12 (222.69 KB/s) - »/usr/portage/distfiles/foomatic-filters-3.0.2.tar.gz« gespeichert [125875]

>>> md5 files   ;-) foomatic-filters-3.0.2.ebuild
>>> md5 files   ;-) files/digest-foomatic-filters-3.0.2
>>> md5 files   ;-) files/foomatic-filters-3.0.2-multilib.patch
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) foomatic-filters-3.0.2.tar.gz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking foomatic-filters-3.0.2.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/work
 * Applying foomatic-filters-3.0.2-multilib.patch ...                     [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for printcap/... /etc/printcap
checking for cups/... /usr/lib/cups
checking for cups/filter/... /usr/lib/cups/filter
checking for ppr/... ${exec_prefix}/lib/ppr
checking for ppr/interfaces/... ${exec_prefix}/lib/ppr/interfaces
checking for ppr/lib/... ${exec_prefix}/lib/ppr/lib
checking for a2ps... /usr/bin/a2ps
checking for enscript... /usr/bin/enscript
checking for mpage... /usr/bin/mpage
checking for texttops... /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating makeMan
creating foomatic-gswrapper
creating foomatic-rip
Finished configuring.
Type 'make' to build the package
then 'make install' to install it.
chmod a+rx ./makeMan
if [ "" = "--inplace" ]; then \
  FOOMATIC_RIP=`pwd`/foomatic-rip; \
  FOO_ETC=`pwd`/etc/foomatic; \
  PRINTCAP=/etc/printcap; \
else \
  FOOMATIC_RIP=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip; \
  FOO_ETC=/etc/foomatic; \
  PRINTCAP=/etc/printcap; \
fi; \
export FOOMATIC_RIP FOO_ETC PRINTCAP; \
./makeMan ./*[0-9].in
file: Couldn't find any magic files!
chmod a+rx foomatic-rip foomatic-gswrapper
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: net-print/foomatic-filters-3.0.2

>>> Install foomatic-filters-3.0.2 into /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image/ category net-print
./mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image//usr/bin
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image/usr
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image/usr/bin
/bin/install -c -m 755 foomatic-gswrapper foomatic-rip /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image//usr/bin
./mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image//usr/share/man
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image/usr/share
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image/usr/share/man
./mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image//usr/share/man/man1
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image/usr/share/man/man1
/bin/install -c -m 644 *.1 /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-filters-3.0.2/image//usr/share/man/man1
/bin/install: Aufruf von stat für ,,*.1" nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make: *** [install-man] Fehler 1

!!! ERROR: net-print/foomatic-filters-3.0.2 failed.
!!! Function src_install, Line 35, Exitcode 2
!!! make install failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Any ideas?
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, after updating every tool (file, perl, ...) used by foomatic-filters and deleting its remains from previous builds (in /var/tmp/portage) everything compiled.
Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HackingM2 wrote:
Thanks Stephonovich, that just saved me no end of time.

You're very welcome. It just took me so long to get this working I figured I might as well writeup a HOWTO for it. If nothing else, for my future reference.

der bastler wrote:
Very important: add ppds to your use flags in make.conf before emerging foomatic and hplip, it's important to get a ppd file tailored by hplip for your printer!

First, 'Der Bastler'... that translates roughly to 'The Do-It-Yourselfer', right? I know a bit of German; but I had to go look that one up. Anyway...

So you're saying if I were to compile with that USE flag, emerge would grab the necessary .ppd file for my printer? Or am I missing something? I just got it manually from HP's site and put it in /etc/cups/ppd, and it was picked up just fine.

Quote:

Also, without favorable moon conditions, the probe script will not work...:D Hence my grief and large section dedicated to troubleshooting that aspect. Even now, it doesn't always work for me.

kenyon wrote:

* You don't need dev-perl/Net-SNMP, that must have been in an older ebuild accidentally, because I don't see it in the current ebuilds.
* Some of us are having problems with the /etc/init.d/hplip script; see Bug 97033 Comment 4.

I upgraded to hplip 0.9.4 awhile ago, and you're right, it didn't try to grab it. I'll update the HOWTO to reflect this.

As to the bug, man, I'm stumped. I assume HP is aware of the situation and will remedy it in 0.9.5. I didn't have any problems when I upgraded, but then, that's how bugs go.

der bastler, glad you got your problem solved. Upgrading (or downgrading!) can often solve problems. Or introduce more. I recently started using the Break My Gentoo repository, with no ill effects yet. Only minor packages so far, though. I did get a CVS version of GIMP which I'm quite fond of...
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephonovich wrote:
First, 'Der Bastler'... that translates roughly to 'The Do-It-Yourselfer', right? I know a bit of German; but I had to go look that one up. Anyway...

A "Bastler" is someone who does "basteln", i.e. creates makeshift-constructions-which-work. In elementary school the students basteln, too, but it is a matter of paper+glue.
"der bastler" originates from my Operation Flashpoint mission/addon creation activities years ago. Recently german trolls adopted this nickname for Linux users because they wanted to emphasize the inferiority of Linux (not finished, not professional, one has to compile the kernel twice a day, blablabla...).

The trolls killed my nickname! You bastards! :twisted:

Quote:
So you're saying if I were to compile with that USE flag, emerge would grab the necessary .ppd file for my printer? Or am I missing something? I just got it manually from HP's site and put it in /etc/cups/ppd, and it was picked up just fine.

Well, the ppds flag lets foomatic create a set of ppds which can be found in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-ppds. According to the flag description ppds "Adds support for automatically generated ppd (printing driver) files" [1].

Quote:
Quote:

Also, without favorable moon conditions, the probe script will not work...:D Hence my grief and large section dedicated to troubleshooting that aspect. Even now, it doesn't always work for me.

Since I encountered this funny behaviour by myself (Desktop -- probe finds printer; Notebook-over-WLAN -- probe does not find printer) you can ignore my old probe-works-comment... :D

Quote:
der bastler, glad you got your problem solved. Upgrading (or downgrading!) can often solve problems. Or introduce more. I recently started using the Break My Gentoo repository, with no ill effects yet. Only minor packages so far, though. I did get a CVS version of GIMP which I'm quite fond of...

That was another funny thing... I updated all involved programms but foomatic-filters failed to install. I erased the temporary work directory and it installed properly. I suspect something went wrong with the creation of the man pages, perhaps due to a somewhat corrupted package (md5 resulted in a wink, so that is unlikely) and/or an outdated make utility which got not updated prior to foomatic-filters.

Anyway, I created a new OpenOffice printer which produces excellent output (provided you use a good paper type). Except for acroread and the gimp nearly every application seems able to print.
* JEdit and Scite misposition highlighted tags/keywords
* Acroread refuses to print
* Right now I try to make gimp print pictures. Result: One page starts with the line
Code:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
              %%Creator: Print plug-in V4.2 for GIMP/Gimp-Print 4.2.7 (15 Jul 20

and afterwards the printer prints nothing on all sheets within its reach. Got the configuration wrong I guess.

---
[1] http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
fraterm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks, this might help. Reply with quote

Up until gentoo bug 102926 and maybe 97033 began biting me in some unknown fashion, I was able to just emerge hplij (I did have the qt and ppds flags already) and get started with that.

Right now (perhaps because of those two or one of them) I can print but not scan... because (I think) of an init script change. Or perhaps a python upgrade.

This is what I get for ~x86 ing perhaps :) but I'm going to try with the instructions you have here to see if it un-b0rks the b0rken prints-but-won't-scan system I have now.

In Addition : lm_sensors-2.9.1 requires CONFIG_I2C_SENSOR to be enabled for non-2.4.x kernels. Just popped up as I went through the lm_sensors emerge... The adventure continues :)

Sitey sites:
http://fraterm.deviantart.com
http://www.approachzero.net
Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks, this might help. Reply with quote

fraterm wrote:
Up until gentoo bug 102926 and maybe 97033 began biting me in some unknown fashion, I was able to just emerge hplij (I did have the qt and ppds flags already) and get started with that.

Right now (perhaps because of those two or one of them) I can print but not scan... because (I think) of an init script change. Or perhaps a python upgrade.

This is what I get for ~x86 ing perhaps :) but I'm going to try with the instructions you have here to see if it un-b0rks the b0rken prints-but-won't-scan system I have now.

In Addition : lm_sensors-2.9.1 requires CONFIG_I2C_SENSOR to be enabled for non-2.4.x kernels. Just popped up as I went through the lm_sensors emerge... The adventure continues :)

I presume you meant hpoj? In that case, no, you won't be able to scan. It's printing only. I believe if you emerge sane-backends, you would gain scanning support, but if you want that, just upgrade to hplip. It's better supported and developed.

As for the lm_sensors, thanks for the tip. I totally forgot about that.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks, this might help. Reply with quote

Stephonovich wrote:
fraterm wrote:

I presume you meant hpoj? In that case, no, you won't be able to scan. It's printing only. I believe if you emerge sane-backends, you would gain scanning support, but if you want that, just upgrade to hplip. It's better supported and developed.

Hplip is giving a few of us some difficulties, as noted in the bug reports fraterm cited. The individual parts can be used, hpiod, hpssd.py, and probe, to at least get printing and scanning to work, but the package as a whole does not.
Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks, this might help. Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
Hplip is giving a few of us some difficulties, as noted in the bug reports fraterm cited. The individual parts can be used, hpiod, hpssd.py, and probe, to at least get printing and scanning to work, but the package as a whole does not.

Ah, my bad. I thought he meant he previously was having problems. The wording confused me.

I looked at the bug reports, and I'm a bit stumped. CFLAGS don't look very troublesome. I'd suggest trying an earlier version.

One other thing that comes to mind; are people's home routers (if equipped) blocking the traffic? It could account for some of the problem, anyway.
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small summary:

HPLIP is working flawlessly on my desktop at home (HP PSC2610). Probe over wired net -- ok.

My notebook can't probe over net, perhaps because I tried WLAN only. But that problem was solved with makeuri and the known IPs of our HP printers at work (HP LaserJet, HP ColorLaserJet) and at home (HP PSC2610). Did I say I like omni-drivers (a nod towards Nvidia)?

Gimp is solved, I just had to create a proper printer config. :roll:

At the moment only one problem remains: When I print highlighted source, the coloured keywords are shifted sideways. Same problem with bold text in Firefox print-outs. Any ideas? :?:
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks, this might help. Reply with quote

Stephonovich wrote:
EzInKy wrote:

Ah, my bad. I thought he meant he previously was having problems. The wording confused me.

I looked at the bug reports, and I'm a bit stumped. CFLAGS don't look very troublesome. I'd suggest trying an earlier version.

One other thing that comes to mind; are people's home routers (if equipped) blocking the traffic? It could account for some of the problem, anyway.

My printer is local so I doubt my router is the problem but I tried makeuri nonetheless and this was the output:

Code:

[ERROR]: Unable to connect to hpiod.

And still yet, my printer works and my scanner scans B-)

It is a usb printer, btw.
alinv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After upgrading from 0.9.3, which worked ok, hplip refuses to start :(
Running /usr/share/hplip/hpssd.py by hand works, but it refuses to start from init.d. Strange enough, running
Code:
start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/share/hplip/hpssd.py --pidfile /var/run/hpssd.pid
from console works as well.

Any hint on how to figure out what's the problem?

Thanks,
Alin
kenyon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alinv wrote:
After upgrading from 0.9.3, which worked ok, hplip refuses to start :(
Running /usr/share/hplip/hpssd.py by hand works, but it refuses to start from init.d.

That's part of Bug 97033, BTW. I don't know why it won't start either.
alinv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, it doesn't show any error message.
Eventually, I managed to get it started by adding the --oknodo parameter to start-stop-daemon. I'm not sure if that's ok, but it makes me happy :)
radixvir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. i am unable to get probe to find anything. I can print/scan from windows just fine. Are pyqt and sip required for printing? i just want to be able to send jobs to the printer from my server. i tried just adding the printer: hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?ip=192.168.0.199 (i found the string from the hp forum. the ip is correct). Cups says

add_printer: bad device-uri attribute 'hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?ip=192.168.0.199'!

however my hplip install was broken to begin with. The ebuild did not install cupsext, so i had to get it from manually building the hplip source. (the hplip makefile seems broken for me). I am not sure if i have snmpd setup correctly i copied the stuff posted above into /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf and it starts fine but i have no idea if its setup correctly.

can anyone help?
Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radixvir wrote:
Are pyqt and sip required for printing?

HOWTO wrote:

Required Components

dev-python/PyQt
dev-python/sip

HP Toolbox

If you have the printer working correctly, the only other thing that may hamper you is dev-python/PyQt. I forgot to emerge this, and had quite a time dealing with it. Once installed, you can do most anything.

Gentoo-Portage.com wrote:

Title: sip
Description: SIP is a tool for generating bindings for C++ classes so that they can be used by Python.

Programs That Depend On sip

dev-python/pykde
dev-python/PyQt
dev-python/pyqwt
dev-util/eric

Now, from that, one can gather that PyQt is required by the Toolbox, which (to answer your question) is not required for printing or scanning capabilities. It is rather handy, though. And as for sip, the reverse dependencies show that PyQt depends on it.

radixvir wrote:
i tried just adding the printer: hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?ip=192.168.0.199 (i found the string from the hp forum. the ip is correct). Cups says add_printer: bad device-uri attribute 'hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?ip=192.168.0.199'!

My first thought is that you didn't choose AppSocket/HP Jet Direct as your device in CUPS. Failing that, what version of CUPS and hplip are you running?

Quote:
however my hplip install was broken to begin with. The ebuild did not install cupsext, so i had to get it from manually building the hplip source. (the hplip makefile seems broken for me). I am not sure if i have snmpd setup correctly i copied the stuff posted above into /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf and it starts fine but i have no idea if its setup correctly.

If it started fine, then yes, it's working. It never seemed to do anything useful for me either, but it is. Repeated tests consisting of 'emerge -C net-snmp && /etc/init.d/hplip restart' proved that. On that note, if you plan on doing so, do a quickpkg of net-snmp first. Bugger takes awhile to compile.
dwblas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic - has anyone tried the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) from this month's LJ; http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/hal . The author claims that hardware just works. And no, he doesn't mainfest any signs of mental instability.
radixvir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for you help. i dont know why but i mysterically was able to add it this time. it still wasnt detected by the probe.py but i typed it in manually and it worked. i think it was because one of the hp daemons was not starting correctly
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

this HOWTO was excellent. I was able to setup a network printer in about 20 minutes with it.

I got a test page printing correctly, firefox prints correctly.... but then there is xpdf, which is what i use to read PDF documents. When i select print, it wants a command line argument, what is the command line argument to print?

like say I am at a bash shell, and I have a text only file, how do i print it?

Thanks!
George
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedpe wrote:
but then there is xpdf, which is what i use to read PDF documents. When i select print, it wants a command line argument, what is the command line argument to print?

lpr works for me...

On the other hand for good quality pdf printout I'd use hp-toolbox and its "print..." option.
Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedpe wrote:
Hi,

this HOWTO was excellent. I was able to setup a network printer in about 20 minutes with it.

I got a test page printing correctly, firefox prints correctly.... but then there is xpdf, which is what i use to read PDF documents. When i select print, it wants a command line argument, what is the command line argument to print?

Thanks!
George

I would agree with der bastler. For command line, lpr seems logical. I don't use xpdf (yes, the shame, the shame... I like Adobe's better), so I've never experienced that problem. A quick Google revealed a tool bundled with xpdf that may be of use; pdftops. As the name implies, it converts a PDF to Post Script. This would result in higher quality prints.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: