Crystal Reports XI
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ourumov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Crystal Reports XI Reply with quote

We are adding reporting to our application and considering Crystal Reports XI to generate embedded reports for our app. Our aplication runs on Gentoo Linux, not sure what Gentoo version but our kernel is soon to be updated to 2.6.11. On the Crystal Site, it does not specifically say Gentoo is supported for embedded Java reporting, but I assume it should work well. However I have to make a business recommendation on if we should choose to experiment with Crystal or not so I'm here, asking the phenominal responsive knowledgebase that is the Gentoo User Forums, if any of you have experience using embedded Crystal reports in a Java application on the Gentoo platform.

If you can recommend an alternate reporting tool please feel free. Right now we use Jasper. I've never used it but from what I understand it uses XSLT, which, and I speak from experience, is something I would spend $500 on a crystal license to avoid. If you've ever used Crystal you can't knock it.
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used Crystal Reports directly. I've used some 3rd party software that had Crystal Reports embedded. Does that allow me to knock it? :lol:

Anyway, I've got an alternative for you ... my own project, PDF::ReportWriter. Check out the homepage: http://entropy.homelinux.org/axis_not_evil. Click on either the 'Report' in the navigation area at the top, or the PDF::ReportWriter link on the start page. My site has plenty of info about PDF::ReportWriter, so I'll just be brief and say:

- Written in Perl
- Incredibly fast
- Produces very high quality output, direct to PDF via PDF::API2
- Supports text alignment and colouring, including embedding functions to determine colour
- Supports images, including alignment and scaling
- Cross Platform ( tested on Linux, OS-X and Windows )
- Infinite number of groups with aggregate functions
- Intelligent pagination
- Shaped cell backgrounds for cool effects for headings etc
- Supports infinite 'render' invocations with different data definitions, allowing you to create complex reports

If PDF::ReportWriter doesn't do what you want, feel free to send patches or feature requests :)
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gentoo version

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean make an ebuild for PDF::ReportWriter?

I suppose it can't hurt. I'll see what I can do, but it could be a little while. I'm completely snowed under in work ... as always.
alinv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Crystal Reports XI Reply with quote

Ourumov wrote:
If you can recommend an alternate reporting tool please feel free. Right now we use Jasper. I've never used it but from what I understand it uses XSLT, which, and I speak from experience, is something I would spend $500 on a crystal license to avoid. If you've ever used Crystal you can't knock it.

There are third party visual report designers for JasperReports. I use iReport, which is free and does the job very well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: