Supermount???... question/problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cappy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Supermount???... question/problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a DVD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive. I have my fstab edited for it and it IS compiled in the kernel (latest CK-Sources -2.4.20-ck4). I have no problem accessing the DVD drive. But accessing the CD-RW just as a cdrom is a no-go. It tells me that I do not have access rights to it (this is while running as root). I know there may be a little hitch with the fact that the CDRW uses SCSI emulation, but is there a way to get around this to supermount it just as a CDROM. Also, if got the info right, supermount is supposed to mount the device at the point when media is detected and unmount it when it is ejected.....correct?? The problem is The desktop icons for the 2 devices are showing them as mounted even before any media is inserted.....and after its ejected its not unmounting the drives....i still have to maually unmount the DVD-ROM (the only one working presently). Any solutions, ideas, or suggestion ???

Cap
morck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The desktop icons for the 2 devices are showing them as mounted even before any media is inserted.....and after its ejected its not unmounting the drives

that is all right .... supermount pretends that the devices are mounted all the time. That is why the desktop-icon always shows them as mounted, because the kernel things they are. only the supermount-driver itself knows if there is a medium inside your drive or not.

Quote:
I know there may be a little hitch with the fact that the CDRW uses SCSI emulation

that should be no problem as long as u configured it right in /etc/fstab

EDIT: u could post your fstab here, so that i could take a look at it
Cappy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks morck.....but I got it working.....I had a typo in fstab. I was a bit distracted when doing it and didn't catch it after looking at it several times, but all is good now :)

Cap
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: