USB config and usbmgr
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Turtle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: USB config and usbmgr Reply with quote

I have an X's-Drive card reader that I'm trying to use with my Gentoo. Here's a clip from their web site about configuring it:

Quote:

Linux 2.4 does not automatically recognize my X's-Drive

Linux uses a so-called "USB Manager", which does automatically loads kernel modules (drivers) for USB devices. It loads only drivers for devices that are present on the USB bus to reduce memory usage. Per default the USB Manager does not come with X's-Drive pre -configured. However you can easily configure the USB Manager to automatically recognize the X's-Drive yourself. Just add the following to the configuration file, usbmgr.conf(usually in /etc/usbmgr): vendor 0xd7d product 0x100 module scsi_mod, usb-storage.
This line identifies the X's-Drive and tells the USB Manager to load the SCSI as well as the USB storage module. The SCSI module is needed in order to talk to both SCSI and USB Storage devices, while the usb storage module is needed to talk to USB storage devices.
So don't to forget to either reload the USB Manager's configuration or to restart the USB Manager (for instance do as root :/etc/init.d/usbmgr reload).

I'm fairly new to linux, and realize that there are some differences between distros, but I can't find the Gentoo equivalent of where to put this information. I've searched the forums, but can't seem to find anything similar. Any help would be appreciated.[/b]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: