View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: NET-WWW Reply with quote

Hello I find strange to have both servers and clients in net-www tree.

I mean why is jboss, apache, tomcat, zope are in the same dir as mozilla, galeon, etc.

Should we create a new 1st level ? (net-www-client net-www-server maybe)
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it strange to have servers and clients for the same protocol in the same tree node?
gravis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: www isn't a protocol Reply with quote

ok if you want an exemple : jboss have nothing in common with "www" but jetty (a jsp server).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That still wouldn't solve the problem. If jboss has nothing in common with "www", I don't think putting it into net-www-server wouldn't make any more sense. Or am I missing something?
gravis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you're right
adamtheo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: general point Reply with quote

I believe his general point is that the net-www category should be re-structured, which I agree we should consider and look into.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitting net-www into server/client becomes more semantic then. jboss not belonging in net-www is probably more of an issue (though minor). Is there an existing category that jboss fits into? Other java things seem to be in dev-java. If there's a more apropriate category for it, you might file a bug report at bugs.gentoo.org.
cc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then how about dev-j2ee and dev-j2se and dev-j2me?

but I think this will be too...... @#$@#)%* you know.
absinthe
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: NET-WWW Reply with quote

gravis wrote:
Hello I find strange to have both servers and clients in net-www tree.

I mean why is jboss, apache, tomcat, zope are in the same dir as mozilla, galeon, etc.

Should we create a new 1st level ? (net-www-client net-www-server maybe)

In the absence of another category, net-www makes sense. Tomcat, Orion, JBoss are all network-based web servers, the same as Apache in a general sense, which is also in net-www.

Tomcat, Orion, JBoss, Resin -- all of them serve webpages the same as Apache does (statically). They also run scripting languages (JSP) as well as running PHP and Perl if that's what you want to do. At a fundamental level, these are functionally the same type of application as Apache, and they belong in the same place as Apache.

That is... until a better place exists for web server applications in particular. We have ~90 categories now, which is a LOT. We are trying to avoid category bloat by only making such changes when it truly makes sense to do so.

As a general rule, anything that has over 100 packages should probably be split up. net-www has 88 currently. While I'm not the final arbiter of these changes, my suspicion is that net-www will not get split until it gets closer or passes 100 packages.

I agree on one aspect. "net-www-server" (or something similar) would be more specific, and would probably help users find web server packages a little easier than they might currently. But in the grand scheme of things, we have so many other changes happening with Gentoo that this isn't high in the list of priorities.

If you (and others) feel strongly about this, please file bugs on https://bugs.gentoo.org/. If you want changes like this to be made, that's the best place to make them happen. If we get enough bug reports on it, I guarantee that something will happen.

We are almost totally driven by user input, but things often get lost in the Forums. The real changes happen in Bugzilla, so I again strongly encourage you to file bugs if you want the right people to hear your suggestions/complaints.

Cheers :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: