E-build changes (Apache)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: E-build changes (Apache) Reply with quote

I noticed today that the new Apache e-build had changed the location of apache config files and the name of the daemon from httpd to apache. I think a system where at least an annoucement was made when major changes to e-builds are done should be created.
It will take me some time to figure out the the new apache config files and directories and transfer my old configurations to them.
I think I will have to do --update system instead of --update world from now on, and follow the "don't fix it if it ain't broken" wisdom.
It's too bad because I liked the easy upgradeability of Gentoo, but if major changes to e-builds are made without notification, then daily upgrades are just not viable.
brownowl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: apache on Gentoo Reply with quote

I agree entirely with Harri, and if the main gentoo.org site were not unavailable YET AGAIN, I'd say so in there as well.

I've wasted hours on this product. It's taken me 4 elapsed days to get a system up and running, and now I'm struggling with apache because someone has decided to change the whole thing from the standard we know and love to some customised weirdness.

Firstly, it's essential that changes like this are communicated, and secondly, a change of this magnitude should be properly documented. I can't start apache on my machine, and I have no idea why...

I have the following config files on my system:

/etc/conf.d/apache
/etc/init.d/apache
/etc/apache/conf/apache
/etc/apache/conf/commonapache

plus a load of virtual host stuff., none of it documented. The start-up process seems to be different as well, and short of trawling through the system set-up, I appear to have zero chance of getting it started either.

If I sound unhappy, I am, I can't afford to waste this much time on something that appears to have been arbitrarily broken, and for no good reason that I can see.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Apache ChangeLog Reply with quote

Have you tried the ChangeLog for the Apache package? Maybe it can help...

http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-x86/net-www/apache/

[]'s
Felipe
brownowl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Changelog? Well... Reply with quote

Indeed, yes, I've looked at the changelog. Here're the comments therein:

---quote---
mod_php will now provide its own conf-snippet. hooray for modularity!

two small fixes; changelog knows all

rewritten apache package; see changelog

update to lastest apache+mod_ssl

bump apache and mod_ssl to latest releases. working on some really
great additions to this port, stay tuned.

initial changelogs for all packages and example skel.ChangeLog
---end quote---

Then, I looked at the ebuild log itself:

---quote---
two small fixes; changelog knows all

rewritten apache package; see changelog
---end quote---

Being charitable, I can't say they helped a great deal, and I still can't work out how to start apache.

This is a serious issue with gentoo, and likely to drive people like me, busy professionals, away from it, which would be a pity. I'm looking at Gentoo with a view to deploying it in our DMZ, but I can't afford to spend days building a machine...
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked inside the changelog for Revision 1.4? It contains a little description of what was changed. I don't know if it is complete, but it's already better than nothing. :)

[]'s
Felipe
demonace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: about apace issue Reply with quote

i took a quick look at the conf file and it seems to be missing the root htdocs location, the base location where your html files are located, for those that are wondering

and yes, the changeing from standard locations and names to someone's own idea of setup is not easy to deal with.

plus you should never take out comments from config files

I have been rolling my own apache/php/mod_mp3/mod_ssl web server anyway, so its not a big deal. But the current apache setup is not cool for new or casual users.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Woodchip, the apache ebuild maintainer, has just posted this message on this subject.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: