strange ext3 errors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmercer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: strange ext3 errors Reply with quote

Hi there, I've got a problem with a hd.
It seems like there is some sort of data corruption. I used this (new) 60GB hd in an older computer, I had to upgrade it's bios to recognize it. The Gentoo install went fine, but after a few days ls would start doing things like:
ls: dtc.h: No such file or directory
ditto for find, it would give an I/O error. After a while, it just failed on boot.
Anyway, I blamed it on the old computer and put this drive in my main computer. Installed gentoo on it again and it seemed to work fine, for a while. then yesterday tvtime didn't load and when I checked the file it wasn't executable anymore, when I did a cat on tvtime it showed what looked like the inside of the billiardsGL ebuild. Anyway, I emerged tvtime again and it worked fine, until this morning when kernel source files started to disappear, and j2sdk doc files, etc.
The fs is ext3, the partition that's giving me the grief is the root partition and it's only 10GB. The only common things between these 2 systems are gentoo & the drive. Any ideas? Saying a bad disc may be the answer and if it is I can just get it replaced, but the fact that the tvtime binary pointed to the inside of an ebuild is a little unsettling. I'm at a loss.
OK, I just tried to chroot to it to make config and dee if there are any funny kernel opts, but it's dying pretty hard (chroot hangs, ls /mnt/hdb7/ hangs). The kernel is gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r10.ebuild. It's a standard step by step install, except I used my current gentoo install as a base instead of the cd. (current gentoo install, old hd works fine)
SNo0py
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been solving this problem? I'm getting these errors:

Code:
bruce Bilder # ls
ls: hochzeit.jpg: No such file or directory
ls: DAS PUNKTE SYSTEM.doc: No such file or directory
ls: Stairwaytoheaven.jpg: No such file or directory
Neue Bilder  Phil  Powerpoint  filme
bruce Bilder # ls Phil