How is SuSe 8.0 ML 8.2 and Red Hat 7.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frocco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: How is SuSe 8.0 ML 8.2 and Red Hat 7.3 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have tried the three above, and am currently trying to install Gentoo (newbie)
of the three above, what are your opinions, are any worth buying?
SuSe 8.0 bothered me because I found it harder to update packages.
Example, I use gnucash. SuSe has 1.6.5, RedHat and Mandrake have 1.6.6
I tried to update Suse to 1.6.6 and it failed because of outdated or missing packages.
Redhat was the easy to update, it informed you much like windows that updates were available.
Mandrake had a nice installer that checked for related packages.

Anyways Pros/Cons, should I use one of these to learn linux?
Thanks
Frank
therobot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Mandrake 8.2 for awhile. It's good if you're looking for an easy system to install and use, but you're overall control of the system is kind of lacking, and I'm not into the rpm thing.
Just download it and try it out.
smtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried all three of these distributions. As far as installation goes, they are all pretty much the same - very easy. Once installed, they are slightly diffrent:

Suse-

I like the look of SuSE, it has a very professional appearence. The kde desktop on SuSE pretty well put together and suse adds some extra touches that I like. The Suse setup tool (Yast) is pretty cool, I'd say better than Mandrake. The problem with suse is updating like you said. If you want to install something that is not included on the discs or is not on the Suse server or want an updated version of a package, good luck finding an rpm built for Suse. When I had Suse installed, I usually ended up compiling from source. Of course the question is what is the point of using an rpm based system if you are compiling everything. One thing I find very annoying about suse are their config files. Why are they so long? It makes it very hard to figure out what is going on. Suse 8.0 seemed to have a lot of bugs for me and I think it was a mistake to buy it.

Mandrake-

I also like Mandrake. If you have to use an rpm based distro, Mandrake has the best implementation with urpmi (makes rpm almost bearable, is able to automatically install dependencies in most cases). It is also very easy to find rpm packages for mandrake on the internet. The mandrake control center is a very useable configuration tool. Mandrake has a well earned reputation for having a lot of bugs though. Out of these three, I would recommend mandrake first.

Redhat-

For some inexplicable reason, I don't really like Redhat. The reason is I guess superficial but the Redhat desktops always look ugly to me. Other than that, it is a very well put together distro. Redhat lack the integrated configuration tool that the other tool have, but these are realy unessecary anyways. Redhat seems to have fewer bugs also. It is very easy to find updated packages in the net for redhat and redhat has a pretty good update tool called up2date.

For me, I would probably be using mandrake if not for the fact that rpm sucks. Once you get gentoo installed, I think it is easier to maintain and update than the other three by a mile. And the ease of installation of these distributions seems to me to be an illusion. They may have nice graphical installers but once installed, you usually have to do some doctoring to get them running like you want.
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smtanner said it. Said it all.

[never tried SuSE unfortunately]

Mdk 8.2 - GRRREAT configuration tools, urpmi is great compared to any other rpm'ing, and a very easy install. The Mandrake User Board is the number one help board (uuuhhh, next to here)

Red Hat 7.3 - Difficult to configure once installed, the menus are insanely cluttered, the desktop seems ugly, and NO urpmi. But, up2date is great, and it seems really stable (but in my opinion this is kde 3 vs mdk8.2's kde 2.2.2)

When I get high speed, I'll definately be using gentoo. Until then I'm using RH7.3 solely for KDE3, because I do prefer and recommend mdk 8.2 to any newbies (but KDE 2.2.2 is much slower on my box). Go with Mdk, because 9.0 is on the way (there's a new mdk on "cooker" that has KDE3, etc...) Mdk 9.0 will rock 'em all except gentoo.

Slackware 8.1 is in release candidate stage, and it uses KDE 3 as well. Looking forward to trying that out - I like slackware WAY better than RH.

May the gentoo be with you, when you're ready. Now go train in mandrake!
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my manager has been using SuSe for a really long time. Recentrly he ugraded to 8.0. in a couple of days he got rid of it and installed 7.3 back.

now i have convinced him to try gentoo on his spare hdd. he loves it. the only problem is his USB trackball. but we shall have that sorted otu soon.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: SuSE Reply with quote

I used to use SuSE almost exclusively. I don't feel as I have used the other two (MDK and RH) enough to comment. I liked SuSE because it was clean and had some really great commandline tools. I really like their firewall scripts and thought it just had a lot of overall utility right out of the box. I don't like SuSE because they violate what I feel is a very basic principle of open source software - they don't have iso's of their OS for download. Sure you can download it all in bits and pieces, but that's like trying to nail oatmeal to the ceiling. What's the point of a linux distrobution if you're not going to distribute it? SuSE is a little hard to update, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that horrible. I don't think it was any worse that RH 7.2, but I didn't use RH 7.2 all that long. I like Gentoo though. It solves all the problems I had with SuSE and it's faster. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: