Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Apache2 second public release -- but no ebuild yet?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Apache2 second public release -- but no ebuild yet? Reply with quote

Hi all,

there're really only some little gaps till I can move to gentoo on my server. One really big problem/gap is that there doesn't exists a public apache2 ebuild.

I need apache2 for the self programmed XML framework wich runs our site. So I can't move to gentoo until Gentoo has an apache2 ebuild.

Okay, I already tried to write an apache2 ebuild my self but I stopped as I recognized that the normal apache ebuild use IMHO mystic directory prefix'is I do not like. Further more, should apache2 be an apache-2.0.36 update to the old apache-1.3.24 or a complete new packet, called apache2-2.0.36?

Best regards,
Christian Parpart
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh, sorry, it look like I'm the only one who wants/needs apache2.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built mine by hand. IMHO, I think it's better to build Apache by yourself solely because it seems everyone has a different way of setting up their webserver directories (for instance, I prefer all of my webpages to be in /usr/local/apache2/www/sitename.net). I am curious as to why there isn't an ebuild, though...
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, perhaps you're right. I'd prefer the /usr/local/apache2 as well, but since I'm using multiple virtual hosts I use /home/website for each virtual host configuration. however :) That's what I did on my SuSE Linux Server :)
mezz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> /usr/local/apache2

It violates the hier(7) man 7 hier..

Why do we need another bin, local, etc and others inside apache2, which we already have in /usr/local?
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't care if my system adheres to the standards as long as it's me that choosing to not adhere. I simply prefer to have all of my Apache stuff concentrated in one location away from the rest of the system for my webserver. I don't need my configuration for it mixed in with the rest of the system config files. I'm definitely not forcing it down anyone's throat, and how I keep my system set up doesn't really affect the rest of world's users. That's one of the neat things about Linux - you can do pretty much whatever you damn well please with it. In summary, it's personal preference. *We* don't need another bin inside of a directory, but *I* prefer it.
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handsomepete wrote:
*We* don't need another bin inside of a directory, but *I* prefer it.
It's the same for *me*. *I*'d like to have such things as apache in a special dir, i.e. /usr/local/[apache|httpd]. That take my apache configs more clear to the worlds configuration files.
theprog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: I *tried* to do my own Apache2 ebuild Reply with quote

:x After a few hours of recompiling getting the configure parameters correct, and the install directories correct, the ebuild would finally install. I had the ebuild use the deault generated httpd.conf config file and edited the directories by hand. When I run httpd however, I don't get any error messages, but the server does not run, even though I used the original apache init.d scripts included in the Apache-1.x.x ebuild. If anyone knows of any reason why this problem is occuring, please let me know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: