File System always repaired on boot up + Shutdown issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: File System always repaired on boot up + Shutdown issue Reply with quote

I just installed Gentoo (Stage 1 onwards).

My / and /boot partitions are ext3. The rest (usr, home, opt, var, tmp) are LVM.

Every time I boot into Gentoo, the system logger says it has to repair my filesystem. Any ideas? I also have Mandrake installed on another partition and frequently mount my Gentoo partitions onto it. I use the normal mount and umount commands. Should I be doing something else too for the LVM parts?

I'd love to show the bootup logs but have no idea where they are. I use metalog. I looked in /var/logs but didn't see them there. Know where they are (I really do want to know, as I get ALSA related errors and I want to look at them in detail).

Also, when I shut down Gentoo, it goes to runlevel 0, does its stuff and at the very end, says something like "Power Off". Something certainly happens, because the noise coming out of the computer becomes greatly reduced (a fan is stopped?). But it doesn't turn off - I have to hit the power button. My guess is that there is a simple way to fix this?

One last quick question - more related to UNIX in general than Gentoo. I have a /tmp folder, which all users have write access to. If one user puts stuff there, can another user delete it? If so, how can I prevent that from happening?

I'll probably come up with other questions, but these are the most pressing ones in my mind.

Oh - yes - one more. I want to install a newer version of a package that's on the Gentoo mirrors but doesn't have an ebuild (e.g. newer ALSA or XFree86). Should I just follow the FAQ on using "./configure" and "make" and updating stuff so that Portage knows its there, along with dependencies?

Thanks,

Please update the table of equivalents.
A Firefox guide.
trn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same issues with booting up and ext3 partitions, i used the mkefs2 -j or whatever as said in the install guide. I just kinda gave up on it because there isn't any problems with the partiton that i can determine.. just anonying. As for the powerdown i havn't gotten the system to automatically turn off but the noises at the end are your hd and drives powering down.
henrico
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to do a filesystem check using a livecd or booting from another partition. There are probably some errors that cannot be repaired automatically.

If you want a complete system shutdown, you might have to recompile the kernel with apm support enabled.

I've tried your /tmp question, and other users can rename and delete files. However, if they don't have read-permission, they cannot read or change the file, just delete it. Subdirectories cannot even be deleted, only renamed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: